PDA

View Full Version : [Exodian Review] {PS2} Okami

Exodyus
03-11-2009, 01:53 PM
The story behind Okami is set around a legendary event that happened 100 years ago. Where the Mother God, Ameretsu (depicted as the wolf you play) teams up with a human warrior, Nagi and they defeat this evil and seal it away by a mystic sword.
But in the process of defeating it - Ammy is poisoned and turned to stone, sealing her away as well.

100 years later - someone tampers with the sword and they're both freed, BUT Ammy doesn't have any of her "Mystic Brush Techniques" - so you begin your quest to stop this evil and find the other gods - each representing a different Brush Tech that you must use to advance the storyline.

And this is where you begin - and it's a wonderful story. You're followed by this little bug, Issun, who's a traveling artist and wants to learn the Techniques you do and know - so he stays with you to "steal them" - lol, but he tells you outright.

The game play and art is phenomenal - simply gorgeous and the puzzles and little things are kinda hard to find, which makes it challenging.
The other issue I had with the game that has justification is the poor camera angles - BUT, the justification is simple. The makers, Clover Studios, wanted you to explore with the PS Top Hat - to LOOK at everything and find things, while admiring the beauty of their work and the game.

Speculation has it - don't expect a second because of the poor sales the game brought in, Capcom ousted the Clover Studios part of the company and might not create a sequel - who knows, currently. They were also the creators of Viewtiful Joe.

¦» Maker
¦----» Capcom
¦» System
¦----» PlayStation 2
¦» Game Play - 8/10
¦----» The setting of the world is beautiful and the movements and flow of the scenes and game are easy to understand. Actions and controls are very simple and fluid, though sometimes you'll brain-fart and hit the wrong button for something.
¦» Graphics - 10/10
¦----» It's beautiful! The game is gorgeous and the colors go from dark and scary to bright and vibrant! The hand drawn graphics are wonderful and everything is perfectly on point. Stunning in a different way than Shadow of Colossus.
¦» Audio - 6/10
¦----» I scored this so low because of the ANNOYING wah-wah-wa-waah-wah voice that the game makes when the characters talk. It's like the Charlie Brown teacher, with cutesy anime sounds and effects. The don't "talk" per say, but the obnoxious fact that there's a LOT of reading and sub titles, allows for this voice to occur all too much.
However, the music and event sounds are great. Very soothing and easy, but the hype of the battle music really stirs up the need to kick some tail!
¦» Replay Value - 5/10
¦----» Sadly, once the game is played through all the way - there isn't much more to do or experience with the game other than some event "unlocks" that allow you to do different things, but nothing special.
My biggest problem with the replay value of this game is the fact that once you stop playing it and do something else, you quickly forget the serenity and action that's in the game - which decreases your reason to come back and finish. Yeowch!

Game's Overall Review: 7/10 - Definitely worth playing once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOT95HPv51E

http://www.gameaxis.com/img/blog/138/Image/Okami%20screen%20(480%20x%20360).jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/news/04/27/okami/okami_screen001.jpg

Samus-Fan
03-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Nice review, only thing I could say is maybe have some more pictures, the game really is original when I watched some of the videos.
Might have to play this someday...hmm...

Exodyus
03-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Nice review, only thing I could say is maybe have some more pictures, the game really is original when I watched some of the videos.
Might have to play this someday...hmm...

Thank you. It's definitely worth renting or checking out, but I've played nearly 30 hours into it and I've only finished the "first section" of the game.

First section meaning the first mega-main boss.
-- But! It delves deeper.

If you'd like more screens, I'll find more online. <3