PDA

View Full Version : Towel trick?

MissLEGENDARY
10-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Okay so as I said in my last post My xbox will no longer read discs at all. It's not displaying an error. It just says open tray. I used to have to open and close it several times to get it to read the game...but alas it finally won't play at all. Unfortunately my original one year warranty went out in March...and I really don't want to pay 100 bucks to fix this problem. A friend of mine suggested that I wrap it in a towel and let it overheat until it gets the 3 red rings because the console still has the 3 year warranty that will cover that. I also watched some youtube videos explaining how to do it in greater detail. I'm kind of on the fence about doing this...I'm not sure it will work or make things worse....and It's kind of wrong....but on the other hand it's wrong for me to have paid 250 bones for a console that only worked for a year and half. Opinions? Advice?

LiNuX
10-17-2009, 07:12 PM
won't microsoft fix your problem since it's under warranty for free? Or is the $100 fix from another place?

MissLEGENDARY
10-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Unfortunately my warranty went out in March of this year. So the 100 dollars is what it would cost to ship it to microsoft and have them fix it.

LiNuX
10-17-2009, 07:38 PM
ah, wow. I'm not familiar with Microsoft's warranties so I'm not sure if it will work - if you want to give that towel trick a try and cash in on the 3 year warranty then you could do it - otherwise, the console doesn't have too much use.

And I do get where your coming from when you said "it's wrong" - but charging a $100 for the fix is wrong too imo.

MissLEGENDARY
10-17-2009, 08:49 PM
yeah it is pretty much useless at this point. And it couldn't hurt to try. I mean if I'm going to spend 100 dollars on fixing it...I might as well just buy a new one.

Eternity!
10-18-2009, 02:34 AM
Isn't the towel "trick" only for people with the RRoD?

And yeh, you could seriously fry your xbox by doing that.

MissLEGENDARY
10-18-2009, 10:05 AM
I have heard that the towel trick can fix the RROD but I don't think that's true.

LiNuX
10-18-2009, 11:31 AM
you can't fry a console like that - if it's just turned on it will only warm up slowly. My computer on the other hand has a faulty GPU Fan and the gpu can literally fry - It was once at a 135 degrees Celsius - but I doubt You could do that with the xbox that easily without doing anything resource intensive.

Samus-Fan
10-18-2009, 03:08 PM
Towel trick does work to fix RRoD, my cousin did it and it's working.

HamadaLFC8
10-18-2009, 03:25 PM
I heard tower trick on RRoD works only for like 3 days then its back :S

Eternity!
10-18-2009, 06:43 PM
How couldnt it fry it...
Your blocking the air vents and keeping it running...

LiNuX
10-18-2009, 07:14 PM
How couldnt it fry it...
Your blocking the air vents and keeping it running...

still won't get hot enough to melt the parts unless you can get it up to a few hundred degrees celsius.

MissLEGENDARY
10-24-2009, 08:44 PM
ok so linux is right. lol
I tried it today. I wrapped it in 3 towels and let it sit for about 5 hours. And no RROD. I figured it was worth a try. Oh well...If I have to pay 100 dollars to fix it...I'm just gonna go get an elite. My Pro is kinda old anyways...and only has the 20G hard drive so I might as well up grade while I'm at it.

LiNuX
10-24-2009, 08:58 PM
5 hours and 3 towels and nothing. hopefully the elite will give you less trouble.

You could try to put it in the oven and see if it helps lol.

but seriously...don't do that.

MissLEGENDARY
10-24-2009, 09:02 PM
well I got 2 red lights to flash but when I turned it off and turned it back on to see if it would have the 3 rings...nothing...just one green one. Oh well. Can't say I didn't try. I might just tell them it has the 3 rings and send it in...what's the worst that could happen...they send it back still broken and I'm in the same boat I'm sinking in now. haha

explicitgamer
12-22-2009, 02:35 AM
A bunch of my friends tried this, say it works.