PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Protocol - Joker

Jokersvirus
06-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Sega has taken on a new genre of gaming in the Action/RPG game Alpha Protocol, an agency that doesn’t have accountability, so pretty much they do black water things and they deny everything.
http://www.stuffwelike.com/stuffwelike/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/alphaprotocollogo.jpg
First look at the game it seems awesome and kick ass and you can’t wait to start playing and everything. So you start up the first mission and your taken captive by this company, Alpha Protocol, and pretty much you’re tested to see if you can get the job done etc etc, and clearly you can. So the game is pretty much you take on the role of Mike Thornton, US military boy who is recruited to AP because he knows how to get s*** done. So the plot is screwed up, your working for AP you find out some information while tracking down a known terrorist who is believed to have shot down an American Plane in the middle east.

So pretty much after the first mission you're rogue. So you’re sitting there going WTF and it pretty much gets worse and worse after that. The story thickens when you find out Halbeck pretty much owns AP and they own you so in a nutshell you've been working for Halbeck the entire time and you're just going wtf just happened.

http://www.perezstart.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/alpha-protocol-threaten.jpg
Game play there are only three aspects I liked about this game, the dialogue, the ability to be a hole, casual, or a professional, and the ability to make it with two different chicks without trying, sorry that is just epic funny. The controls are decent it takes a minute to get use to and if you go off and play another game, like RDD, you will forget the controls and will have to figure them out quickly. The game seems like a sega rip off of Mass effect since it’s an RPG and its set up the same way, you level up you get points you apply those points to different areas, I put mine in, health, AR, and other things. After the second mission you get to pick your class, yet at the start of the game you did the same thing, so I went with Tech savvy and Commando. Doesn’t really do anything just adds to the story later on, when I’ve only heard those two put together once. They do anything really, it’s just a title, the first one of tech savvy gives you an idea of what you should work with to be better in that area of what you picked, but you can set up your own path.

The missions are boring, and repeat over, and over, kill everything, hack this, talk to boss, let him live or die.
Also they did add a rep system, which is hard to figure out because you have three different stances you can tell, like I said and when I found out someone was trying to contact me the casual gave me the option of "interested" So I thought "hey maybe I would get more details on why she was contacting me." No it was sexual appear and I lost 4 points with my handler, which is another interesting thing, different handlers, which is like a contact who will talk to you during the mission, give you different boosts. So she pretty much hated me after that, and later on I lost another 4 because I wanted another person to be my handler because that person had more experience with the situation than my current, WTF.
So anyway the system is very confusing you can click on something thinking hey this is what it means but really it means something else, and it sucks, it damn near impossible to figure out what to say to get better rep. Well if you take the non violent course, of not killing everything like I did, you can use your enemies to get information better weapons and even money.

So the missions, I liked the ability of hacking but the issue is you have to search a screen characters changing every second and you have to find an 8 character long password TWO OF THEM to access the computer, 9 times out of 10 its just money and its like WTF I wanted Intel. Hacking keypads got so boring because you have to hack at least 5 per mission and it got annoying trying to figure out the correct connection.

So one thing that made me mad was when I’m low on health cause I’m surrounded by enemies they have unlimited nades to throw at me, what is this crap, I can hide and all that but when you got like 5 nades being thrown at you by everyone every 10 seconds and you’re in a very small space it doesn't work out very well. Plus your weapons don't help much even if you are using armor piercing rounds. I used the AR from the start, because you can pick from Pistol Sub Machine gun, shotty or AR, plus different equipment.
Another issue is the fact when I have to go on a mission where I can’t kill anyone, but I can kick their butts, I don't know anything until it’s too late. I killed 9 CIA agents at a listening house and I had no choice, I lost more rep with my handler, happened again in china and I had my pistol ready and loaded with sleeping darts so I could avoid this, but these missions are few and far apart you never know! And you can buy all the Intel but the print on the screen is so small it’s annoying.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2009/08/alpha-protocol-hug.jpg
Bosses: OMFG they are all the same they're is little difference between them, you start the fight they shoot at you, you shoot at them they run at you, fist fight and you kill them, expect for the Russian who does coke he stabs you with a knife and you can’t do anything about it. The bosses goons are so annoying you can unload a clip and half, at the end of the game with AP rounds it took 12 rounds to kill one person, hit shots kill but you have to sit there exposing yourself letting your reticule zoom in and pop off that takes a good few seconds, not worth it!

Graphics: They were decent not what they could have been or what we expect from such a name as Sega. The cut scenes are awesome and pure awesome, there are so many glitches and errors it’s not funny, when I got out my gold plated AR with my extended mag, the mag is going through my AR and through my hand and when I’m be hide cover and I have 50 million nades thrown at me and I cant roll over to the nearest cover is very annoying and it’s a glitch or something. You can customize your face, that about it, awesome right?

Online: HAHAHAHaaha what online

Final thoughts: My god I thought this game would be awesome but it sucked, my god they made it seems so awesome but it just sucks dick, and I don’t want to sell it because my brother got it for me. It’s just bad.

2/5

BAD game.

DirtyDMan
06-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Good review and I'm glad I read it because now im not going to get this game. I've seen two bad reviews about this game now..

I'm sorry you had to play this game...

Jokersvirus
06-18-2010, 04:23 PM
I should sue Sega for false adveristment

DirtyDMan
06-18-2010, 04:39 PM
I should sue Sega for false adveristment

I wish... If I could do that I would of sued Slant6 for Socom Confrotation... Talk about false advertising.. On the Box you got the game with (I got it with the headset)

It advertises stuff that wasnt in the game when it was released.. Like trophies, Clan Latter, Calender, and a lot of other stuff...

That why I really hate blue ray disc.. I mean its good in a lot of ways but now game companys can just send out incomplete games. Then they just fix them with updates/patches...

I mean when I buy a $60 game I want a working game dang it.. Not a game that going to have to be updated and patched over n over... Till i finally get the game I pay for... WTF!!!

Subb
06-18-2010, 04:54 PM
amen brother