PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Live Raises Prices.

Dess
08-30-2010, 08:23 PM
So I got an e-mail today....

Xbox is changing their prices...

12 year membership is going from $49.99 up to $59.99
3 month membership is going from $19.99 up to $24.99
and the 1 month membership is going from $7.99-$9.99

Here's a copy of the e-mail they sent me...

Dear MHarris428:

Thank you for being a valued member of Xbox LIVE Gold. We hope you are enjoying the many exciting and exclusive features that are included in your membership. We wanted to let you know about an upcoming price increase for your Xbox LIVE Gold subscription and how you can lock in your current price to continue enjoying everything you've come to love about Xbox LIVE, plus all the upcoming additions including ESPN and Hulu Plus.

Over the past seven years, Xbox LIVE has evolved from an online gaming platform to an all-in-one gaming and entertainment service. As an Xbox LIVE Gold member, you can not only play blockbuster games, such as Halo: Reach with your friends online, you can also stream movies from Netflix* and music from Last.fm right to your TV. You can even connect with friends near and far on Facebook® and Twitter™. Plus, you also enjoy exclusive discounts and early access to game demos.

And we aren't even close to being done. This holiday, Xbox LIVE is adding new Gold features, including ESPN and Video Kinect, with Hulu Plus coming on Xbox LIVE in 2011.

• With ESPN on Xbox LIVE, you can stream and watch over 3,500 live and on-demand sporting events plus highlights.*

• Video Kinect allows you to chat with family and friends on the big screen, right from the comfort of your living room—no headset or controller required.*

• With Hulu Plus on Xbox LIVE you will be able to enjoy a customized Hulu Plus experience that will include Kinect navigation and Xbox LIVE Parties*

Besides launching the new features and titles, we will also be increasing the price of Gold membership on November 1, 2010.

Jokersvirus
08-30-2010, 08:28 PM
12 year membership is going from $49.99 up to $59.99

thats not bad!

But this sucks...

They make enough money as is. Why dont they lower the price? God forbid people take .001% pay cut to save us some cash

LiNuX
08-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Typo in the email? Otherwise as joker stated, not bad for a 12 year membership.

Dess
08-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Typo in the email? Otherwise as joker stated, not bad for a 12 year membership.

Yeah I only skimmed the e-mail and went straight to the prices.... lol

Subb
08-30-2010, 08:43 PM
i mean it sucks but its still affordable i mean hell it is only 10 dollars i can go without dinner for one day a year to afford the increase

HamadaLFC8
08-30-2010, 09:40 PM
But over in Saudi I can't really use last fm and many other features because they aren't supported in that area, so why should I pay more? On the other hand it says 2011 ... in which I will hopefully move to the U.S :P

glenofimaal
08-30-2010, 09:45 PM
PS3 is better :)

Still, 10 bucks isn't that much difference ;)

Iceskater101
08-30-2010, 09:53 PM
it isn't that big of a difference
thats 5 dollars a month instead of 4
but ughh I hate how they are raising the price
ugh.

BobTD
08-31-2010, 01:43 AM
Microsoft is a soulless collection of villains. Doing this right as Halo reach comes out is calculated consumer rape.

Unless I get ESPN for free (about as likely as dili choosing me over muffincat) this sucks. Hulu is already free, and you just know netflix isnt going to want that kind of competition, so thats probably going to cost money to.

Its a 12month membership, not a 12 year one. I have the yearly subscription.

Netflix isnt free, thats another bill on top of Xbox live, on top of your internet bill. And they probably arent adding anything for free either. This is basically them saying "we are charging you more money to offer you more options to pay for".

PSN is free, you can play games online with friends without a subscription on top of your internet bill. Same with Wii games, though monster hunter has been the only game I have played a lot online with friends, its still free. And of course if you already have the internet most PC games (excluding MMO p2p) are free.

anyone else feel like pirating reach suddenly?

Dess
08-31-2010, 06:24 AM
anyone else feel like pirating reach suddenly?

No.... I don't think it's that huge of a price raise. And you're over reacting and being dramatic. It's only $10. Less than a dollar a month, and it still averages at $5 a month. Not to mention they are offering existing members the option to continue at their current rate, with an additional $20 for a year. So you'd get Live for $39.99.

Xbox Discount (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/pricelock/default.htm)

BocReaper
08-31-2010, 09:18 AM
No, not really. It's 5 bucks a month still. Before it was $4.17 or so. Maybe if they raised it to say $100 a year I would be mad. Otherwise it's really not that bad.

Kenoi
08-31-2010, 06:18 PM
at first i thought this was a rumor, but... its actually true... dang, my friends will stick to getting the 3month one. its slightly cheaper.... some people are 'cheapskates' some are not. thanks for sharing damage

thedeparted
08-31-2010, 06:39 PM
60 bucks. It sucks but i'll still pay for it.

Subb
08-31-2010, 06:41 PM
i will too, i mean i use it enough to make it worth while

thedeparted
08-31-2010, 06:43 PM
I laugh at all the people threatening or actually quiting over 10 more bucks a year

Subb
08-31-2010, 06:51 PM
i know its only 10 dollars and isnt a big deal really. then again its like smokers they ***** when the price per pack goes up but they still continue to pay it

Nikarulz
09-01-2010, 09:49 PM
This sucks. Hope they don't start upping the $10 every year......this is starting to be damnn expensive....

BobTD
09-02-2010, 12:01 AM
No.... I don't think it's that huge of a price raise. And you're over reacting and being dramatic. It's only $10. Less than a dollar a month, and it still averages at $5 a month. Not to mention they are offering existing members the option to continue at their current rate, with an additional $20 for a year. So you'd get Live for $39.99.

Xbox Discount (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/pricelock/default.htm)

I would rather be radical then complacent.

Its $10 more when you can game online with any other current gen system for free.

No one likes paying for something others get free, and then having the price raised. Your obviously the kind of consumer who can afford it, and I understand how it doesnt bother you much, but not complaining about it is what allows them to get away with it in the first place. I dont like any of that crap they throw at me when I sign into xbox live. Im getting advertisements and undeserved hype. And a poor selection of overpriced digital downloads when I can find the same games for less then half at a gamestop. Its just poor quality to begin with.

And calling me dramatic on top of it... your just jealous I have a flare for the theater. =P

Nikarulz
09-02-2010, 12:46 AM
I would rather be radical then complacent.

Its $10 more when you can game online with any other current gen system for free.

No one likes paying for something others get free, and then having the price raised. Your obviously the kind of consumer who can afford it, and I understand how it doesnt bother you much, but not complaining about it is what allows them to away with it in the first place. I dont like any of that crap they throw at me when I sign into xbox live. Im getting advertisements and undeserved hype. And a poor selection of overpriced digital downloads when I can find the same games for less then half at a gamestop. Its just poor quality to begin with.

And calling me dramatic dramatic on top of it... your just jealous I have a flare for the theater. =P

Another great post by Bob :P I agree with the fact that if your not complaning, who da heck is going to fix it if they dont know about it?

Diligence109
09-02-2010, 09:08 AM
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/990913330_CZbtN-L.jpg

I thought of this thread when I read this and needed to contribute.
XBL is why I don't have/want an Xbox :D

Kenoi
09-02-2010, 03:56 PM
haha, thats funny Dili. but yeah... ain't nothin wrong with paying an extra $10...if you work that is. haha.
a lot of people are on it due to multi-player fun... & thats about all I know on the 360.

Nikarulz
09-02-2010, 04:10 PM
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/990913330_CZbtN-L.jpg

I thought of this thread when I read this and needed to contribute.
XBL is why I don't have/want an Xbox :D

Great cartoon!!!!!!

BIg jACK
09-09-2010, 11:21 PM
I heard about this its only 10 dollars though but Microsoft does have enough money. I will live though

-Jack

LemonRising
09-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Microsoft reminds me of Rogers.

That's not a good thing lol.

It's a ten buck price raise here.. a little raise there...

Hopefully that's not a game they decide to play B |

EpsilonX
09-11-2010, 01:02 AM
If anything I think it was too expensive as it was. They should have decreased it. I was on the verge of just buying a 12 month but now i don't see why i should, not worth it.

yes i got the email too, by the way

Play Search
09-14-2010, 07:39 PM
I hate having to pay for it anyways, but I enjoy Xbox way more than PS3, and the community seems alot better on there. Not saying the people on Xbox are the greatest in the world lol.

LemonRising
09-14-2010, 08:55 PM
There are always those rotten eggs lol