PDA

View Full Version : Basic Parts to Build Computer

LiNuX
08-15-2007, 01:15 PM
I know I need parts to build a computer lol, but what are some of the ones "required" besides hard drive, ram, and motherboard. I haven't built a computer yet but I'd like to start at one point or another :D Maybe in a few months or so and I need to know what to buy.

This is for the computer mod - LoneWolfXIX :D

response appreciated!

lonewolfxix
08-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Well, most parts are requirements, I think the basis for any computer is the motherboard, but first you should think about the processor, choose your processor, then choose your motherboard, base all other purchases around that, RAM is also something that is important, after this you can choose any graphics card you want that fits into your board (nowadays it's PCI-E you'll be looking for) also, most modern motherboards for the past 6 years support S-ATA and most recently IDE has been phased out, so you want a S-ATA harddrive.

So what else? if you feel your current optical drive is more than enough then feel free to just take it from your current system. I'd be suprised if it didn't fit! now what else.. well you want a case.. you want something that cools well but most cases over $20 should do the job, the more you spend the better unless it's Zalman, in which case you're buying for the brand.

Now to make sure your investment is always working in tip top condition and always drinking it's share of high quality power it's totally fine, you've got to remember, watts isn't everything, allow for a power supply with sufficient ampage, read the requirements of your parts to determine a good power supply.

I hope this is enough information but feel free to give me a price and what the pc is for, or make up your own and i'll tell you if you've got a good pc set up :)

LiNuX
08-15-2007, 10:37 PM
thanks +rep given

now, what do you think all this can cost me? im looking over some sites to get a cheap but good motherboard, i wont buy it for a few months tho, but doesnt hurt looking :D

thanks again!

lonewolfxix
08-16-2007, 06:39 AM
Well you can build a pc from $300 to $3000, all should adequately play the latest of games but the $300 mark will limit the amount of harddrive space and RAM that comes with it drastically.
If you prefer Intel I'll recommend..
an NF650i board if low end-medium high end
an NF680i board for medium high-ultra high end

if AMD.. you're probably looking at..
NF570 for low end to medium
and NF590 for anything better

Baring in mind if you buy into AMD it doesn't matter what processor goes with what board aslong as it's got the right number of pins which makes it a more versatile, cheaper and easier platform. I could get the most basic of motherboards which will cost $20-$40 and put in a $250 or so processor. It'll work, not at great speeds due to the chipset being lame but it will work.. I'd generally spend $600-$1000 on a PC if i'm building from scratch.. there is a simple thing which a lot of people follow now: "The more you spend the less impressed you shall be" or something like that.

Of course, if you don't mind dabbling in overclocking, the value you can get out of your PC is mind boggling! You can get cheap $100 processors and make them run as their older $400-$800 brothers, design permitting (e.g. different cache sizes and amount of processors)

So what I'm advising, possibly read a few reviews.. construct what is your ideal not over the top pc and then replace parts where appropriate to suit your price range :)

---------------------------------------
So here's what I'd recommend as the basis of a cheap, cheerful PC.. in both AMD and Intel..

Intel:
Processor: Intel Core2Duo E4400 processor $125.99 atNewegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115014)
Motherboard: abit FATAL1TY FP-IN9 $126.99 at Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127022)
OR
Asus P5N-E SLi $126.99 at Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131142)

AMD:
Processor: AMD Opteron 1210 $93 at Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819105015)
Motherboard: abit KN9 SLi $99.99 at Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127236)

The AMD Opteron is superior in value to Athlon64's due to their lower TDP with loads of cache to make them more comparable to top of the range $200-$300 processors by AMD.
AMD's recent price cuts have made the whole family affordable and high performing and due to how they work, motherboards for AMD systems are a lot cheaper, and though a lot of people say "intel are better, cheaper prices, better performance, lower tdp" but that's a lie.. cheaper processors but the motherboards cost more, higher performance but only when AMD doesnt have a processor matching the cost (aka above E6600) and including how much the motherboard uses in power AMD works out as more effcient :)

I hope this helps

cwbolton
08-16-2007, 08:35 AM
wow man you know too much about pcs lol well when im going to build mine im coming straight to you ok +rep given

lonewolfxix
08-16-2007, 10:35 AM
haha.. yeah I know quite a lot.. been building since i was about 10 or 12 I think.. Love building them.. or did.. getting bored of them recently as I draw nearer to the age where i can get a car/motorbike and become more money hungry though.. lol i like to make profits on most things :P even if i bought them for myself

LiNuX
08-16-2007, 11:03 AM
thanks lonewolf - i was looking to do amd - intel is a little harder i guess lol, and i never owned an amd processor before :D thanks again, i still have months to prepare :)

lonewolfxix
08-16-2007, 11:15 AM
If you don't mind bottom end just to experience how versatile of a platform AMD is, you can get the most basic of motherboards for $45 and cpu's as low as $28 but don't expect anything amazing lol, you mainly want an athlon branded processor and particularly interesting are these new AMD Athlon X2 BE processors.. they use a 65nm core which drastically lowers temps and low clock speeds but they cost $99.50 and it's the same speed as the $69 X2 4000+ which uses 50watt more power.

But hell, $45+$28.. $73 to get started on a versatile pc :) and 2 sticks of 512mb at $18.99 each.. plus a $20 psu since this pc doesn't need much of a power supply.. $40 to make sure it's extremely comfortable. You could build up a whole pc for like $150-$200.. lol, wouldn't be any good for gaming, could be good for a low end server ;)

cwbolton
08-16-2007, 11:53 AM
512mb at $18.99 each is that it well im buying some

LiNuX
08-16-2007, 12:57 PM
512mb at $18.99 each is that it well im buying some

get ones that are compatible with your PC cuz dont be like me and get a 200 pin card whe nur motherboad can only take 164 pin lol :D

lonewolfxix
08-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Haha.. yes RAM is very particular... especially on older boards. if you need me to find RAM to work on your PC make a new topic or something. A bit like support tickets ;) Well.. LiNuX.. work out how much you have to spend and the sort of system you want to build and i'll alter it and explain any problems and tell you where you chose good stuff etc. ;)

LiNuX
08-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Haha.. yes RAM is very particular... especially on older boards. if you need me to find RAM to work on your PC make a new topic or something. A bit like support tickets ;) Well.. LiNuX.. work out how much you have to spend and the sort of system you want to build and i'll alter it and explain any problems and tell you where you chose good stuff etc. ;)

well i told u privately already how much i have to spend right now lol, but it'll probably grow by the time im ready to buy :D i can set up a support ticket system for the forum for you but then that wouldnt do much to the activity lol :mask:

lonewolfxix
08-16-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm fine using the forum lol. Yeah I know you have but personally work out how you'll have and spec a system then post it here i'll edit it to work if it doesn't or to improve performance ^^

cwbolton
08-16-2007, 02:33 PM
yeah you know ram chiips when inserting them to you have to have skin touching teh ground something to do with static or something?

lonewolfxix
08-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Ideally you will have an anti static wristband and on a floor with minimum static e.g. linoleum, concrete, tiles etc. then grab the RAM chips either buy the black squares or by the far edges AVOID touching the gold pins, dust on them will interrupt the signal and either only cause a data slow or a short circuit, also avoid damaging the circuits on the PCB (Printed Circuit Board)

cwbolton
08-16-2007, 02:43 PM
yeah i think my dad broke 2 512mb ram chips doing that where can i get this band from

lonewolfxix
08-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Any good pc retail outlet should sell them.. PC world sell Belkin ones (very expensive and not that great) but they're not that important but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Try eBuyer (http://www.ebuyer.co.uk)if you only intend to get an anti static wristband or Scan (http://www.scan.co.uk) if you intend to buy a lot of parts (they have a £7 minimum postage) I generally buy all my parts from Scan, I think they're great and their customer support is some of the best i've used :)