PDA

View Full Version : Your Pick: Worst 360 Game (you purchased) Thus Far?

Toxic
10-17-2007, 09:48 PM
I was just looking through my library of games and found myself frowning at several entries. It dawned on me that I've yet to see the forum really discuss this matter, and I was curious - now that we're rounding into the first real slate of Next Gen titles - what games have paved the roadsides of disappointment for you?

For me, limiting it to solely games I thought highly enough to purchase, I'd have to say it's a tie between:

Marvel Ultimate Alliance:

+ 4 player co-op.
+ some cool moves and a RPG-lite growth mechanic.

- Proverbial cluster f--k when playing with 4.
- AI is borderline drool retarded (circa 1993 retarded).
- SCREAMS PS2 port in all but graphics.
- Endless levels of repetitive combat.
- Silly puzzles.
- Plot that seems like it is being improved whilst I play.
- RPG elements too complex to really get people unfamiliar with the game to enjoy, plus pausing all the time to allocate points (for those inclined) isn't conducive to fast couch sessions with half drunk mates.
- Auto leveling isn't explicit enough (i.e. you have little clue what's getting buffed unless you pause and hunt through the menus - see last complaint).
- did I mention the plot was lamer than a saturday morning kids show?

Viva Pinata!! (Ie ie!)..

+ Beautiful Graphics.
+ Lots of variety in pinatas and gardening techniques.
+ Pretty sedate on the "kid show" vibe after you get past the tutorials (unless you go into a shop).

- AI? Where are you, AI? Ok, they sleep and fight. Sometimes eat. How about some character or personality!
- Not much of a point to the game. After a few hours I wondered why I wasn't just gardening in my real backyard opposed to virtually.
- Didn't care for the "learn via trial and error" approach to game mechanics. Fertilizer is a great example: I really don't want to dink around for 3 hours trying different types to figure out which will work best, only to do the same for the next plant. There's just no fun in that for me.
- Load times killed me.
- Did I mention it was tedious?
- Ultimately, it's a ?30 time sink with no real objectives.

If I had to choose, Marvel Ultimate would be the winner (of the worst game title).

So, what are yours (feel free to say why or I don't care)?

Scott
10-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Ok the first 2 from me:

Splinter Cell Double Agent:
-Laggy online servers
-Terrible lobby system/online interface
-Dumbed down the game.
-Hated the trust meter
-I ended up missing the co-op and gadgets.

Perfect Dark Zero
-Found the Single player to be boring as hell.

Out of those SC: DA was my biggest letdown since I was a huge fan of the series.

SchoolBus
10-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Bomberman Act Zero

Do i really need to have reasons for this one people...

Wang
10-18-2007, 01:10 AM
hour of victory..im sorry i have a fetish for wwII games...but even i became turned off after i got this for like $5..lol

Ghost
10-18-2007, 01:57 PM
I haven't purchased many stinkers. Ninety Nine Nights was the biggest let down for me. It dropped the ball in so many ways. Was pretty fun, but not satisfying.

Basing this off my observation of others, the absolute worst has to be Hour of Victory. I've never heard a good thing about it.

Mr Cool
10-18-2007, 02:22 PM
I wonder if people even know what the difference between a good game and a bad game really is? It has nothing to do with how much one likes a game, but rather technicial aspects of the game combined with a comparable value. Just about all of the games listed in this thread do not justify that label as the "worst game on the XBox360" as many of those games did either have aspects that it did do well in or on a preponderance of aspects did well. A truly awful game must have terrible graphics and audio, terrible gameplay, terrible game value (quantitive), and terrible mechanics.

Perfect Dark Zero was decent overall, and had some good multiplayer... just some extremely ugly art direction. Viva Pinata was a good game overall, but the concept was one that is just not compatible with the primary demographic of the XBox360 (this game is what you call "Brand Building"). Marvel Ultimate Alliance was decent overall, but nothing particularly stood out for me in that game. As for those that think the likes of Halo 3 or Gears of War was a terrible game... well... nothing I can do for you there. You might as well give up playing video games and leave the real games for the real gamers.

...no.

If you REALLY want to know what is the worst game on the XBox360 then any answer than "Bomberman Zero" would be an inaccurate and incorrect answer. This game was just plain bad on ALL aspects... and I would challenge anyone to compare what they "think" is the worst game on the XBox360 to this game and explain why it is such.

Now if you really want to play more awful games... go pick up a Nintendo Wii... you got a large library of bad and awful games. There are some games on the Nintendo Wii that is even worse than the extremely awful Bomberman Zero (though there are a handful of decent games on the Nintendo Wii as well). Can't judge a platform on the greatest or worst game though... it is the overall prominence of the library.

Toxic
10-18-2007, 02:39 PM
I wonder if people even know what the difference between a good game and a bad game really is? It has nothing to do with how much one likes a game, but rather technicial aspects of the game combined with a comparable value. Just about all of the games listed in this thread do not justify that label as the "worst game on the XBox360" as many of those games did either have aspects that it did do well in or on a preponderance of aspects did well. A truly awful game must have terrible graphics and audio, terrible gameplay, terrible game value (quantitive), and terrible mechanics.

Perfect Dark Zero was decent overall, and had some good multiplayer... just some extremely ugly art direction. Viva Pinata was a good game overall, but the concept was one that is just not compatible with the primary demographic of the XBox360 (this game is what you call "Brand Building"). Marvel Ultimate Alliance was decent overall, but nothing particularly stood out for me in that game. As for those that think the likes of Halo 3 or Gears of War was a terrible game... well... nothing I can do for you there. You might as well give up playing video games and leave the real games for the real gamers.

...no.

If you REALLY want to know what is the worst game on the XBox360 then any answer than "Bomberman Zero" would be an inaccurate and incorrect answer. This game was just plain bad on ALL aspects... and I would challenge anyone to compare what they "think" is the worst game on the XBox360 to this game and explain why it is such.

Now if you really want to play more awful games... go pick up a Nintendo Wii... you got a large library of bad and awful games. There are some games on the Nintendo Wii that is even worse than the extremely awful Bomberman Zero (though there are a handful of decent games on the Nintendo Wii as well). Can't judge a platform on the greatest or worst game though... it is the overall prominence of the library.
Nope. (In reference to your VP comment) There were too many flaws in VP. It was just like I said. A mediocre farm/city/tycoon sim in pinata clothing, introduced to a market with little experience in the genre.

I never said that it's the worst game on Xbox 360, but the friggin title of the damn thread is worst game that you've PURCHASED. All of my other games are good to great. I have GRAW2, Lost Planet, Halo 3, Bioshock, WWE Smackdown vs Raw and Viva Pinata (there's more but I'm not going to list them all) Now is it really a stretch to say that VP is the worst out of that library? Keep in mind I'm a VERY experienced player in the genre. I've played TONS of Tycoon and Sim games on PC. I might actually know what I'm talking about. Nice little stab though. I appreciate the demographic comment. You try to have this overtone of superiority in your posts and it really gets old.

Anyways, before you try to respond (if you bother) please try and brush up on some reading comprehension. You can start with the thread title.

Scott
10-18-2007, 02:42 PM

...no.

You completely missed the point of this thread. Good job.

I'll help you comprehend it, no worries.

Your Pick: Worst 360 Game (you purchased) Thus Far?

Now, this isn't name the overall worst game on the 360, this is name the worst game you personally bought.

Do you understand now?

Wang
10-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Hour of victory had no right to be released..it is by far the buggiest game you will ever play..you will see if you play it for 5 minutes.

Scott
10-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Another game from me that needs a mention: Halo3.

Found the single player boring and not very hard at all plus you have to go back and fourth which is crap.

AI was retarded and did not have a clue.

StrikeHard
10-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Chromehounds - Complete waste of time and money. Took it back after 2 days.

TMNT 1989 Arcade - Another waste of money for a lousy assed game.

Robotron 2084 - Got it with my XBL vision. Horrible, horrible game

Lost Planet - Online was an unbalanced, lagfest and the single player was not good either.

Scott
10-18-2007, 03:05 PM
I wonder if people even know what the difference between a good game and a bad game really is? It has nothing to do with how much one likes a game, but rather technicial aspects of the game combined with a comparable value.

Sorry, but I have to completely disagree with this statement. It has everything to do with how much you like or enjoy a game regardless of technical tomfoolery. I think that if you liked a simple and fun game better than an Instant classic then the ?20 game is a better Game because *you* got more enjoyment from it, and at the end of the day, that's what matters!

Toxic
10-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Chromehounds - Complete waste of time and money. Took it back after 2 days.

TMNT 1989 Arcade - Another waste of money for a lousy assed game.

Robotron 2084 - Got it with my XBL vision. Horrible, horrible game

Lost Planet - Online was an unbalanced, lagfest and the single player was not good either.

Man, I think if you would have stuck it out a little bit more, got your mech set up nicely, and found a good clan to stick with, you would have had a blast. Chromehounds was a huge positive surprise for me. Granted, the single player was merely a training portion of the game but overall I loved it.

Cov3rt
10-18-2007, 03:31 PM
I guess my gripe in reading many of these comments are citing they don't like the overall jist of the game. Example being Viva Pinata. The common trend I'm reading is that it was tedious and was like a farm simulator and such. I knew leading up to the game that this was the concept. If anyone was expecting a 360 Animal Crossing-esque game, sorry but that's just not doing your homework.

Anyways - I'd give my stinker award to PDZ. Single player didn't hold my attention very long. Multiplayer just wasn't fun to me.

Dead Rising was a close runner up. The demo made the game feel like a blast but in the retail game, it got old fast. Plus, the "be here at this specific time or you're screwed" took away so much of the free roam aspect that the game could have potentially had. Granted I was fine with it being linear, the time limit aspect sucked.

Scott
10-18-2007, 03:34 PM
I guess my gripe in reading many of these comments are citing they don't like the overall jist of the game. Example being Viva Pinata. The common trend I'm reading is that it was tedious and was like a farm simulator and such. I knew leading up to the game that this was the concept. If anyone was expecting a 360 Animal Crossing-esque game, sorry but that's just not doing your homework.

Anyways - I'd give my stinker award to PDZ. Single player didn't hold my attention very long. Multiplayer just wasn't fun to me.

Dead Rising was a close runner up. The demo made the game feel like a blast but in the retail game, it got old fast. Plus, the "be here at this specific time or you're screwed" took away so much of the free roam aspect that the game could have potentially had. Granted I was fine with it being linear, the time limit aspect sucked.
Hey Cov3rt, I see this is your first post welcome to the forum, why don't you make an introduction forum and we can all get to know you a bit better ;-)

Toxic
10-18-2007, 03:38 PM

I'll assume this is aimed somewhat at me as I opened with a Viva bash. If that's the case you missed my mark. It's not that I didn't get the jist of the game. Trust me, I do my homework and am very up to speed with what a title offers before I purchase it.

My problem was that I felt Rare executed the concept poorly (though with technical grace on the graphical side). I was hoping they would take it to the Maxis level if they were going to base a game essentially around the AI of pinatas. Again, they lacked personality and character. It felt hollow.

Beyond that, it wasn't precisely the fact it felt like a farming sim that bugged me. It was the fact it was a farming sim based around fantasy world physics (i.e. non intuitive mechanics for success) . The world operated on its own system of logic, and I constantly felt at odds for understanding whether an action that seemed like a good choice (based on my real world familiarity with plants and animals) would benefit me at all.

I can't give a really solid example, but suffice to say there always seemed to be some weird fruit or nut that would have effects on game play that made no rational sense outside of Rare's arbitrary desire to make it so. The encyclopedias were of little help in some of these regards and the game seemed hell bent on making you use inductive logic based on long periods of observation to make the connections. Sadly, though the approach is admirable in some cases, it just wasn't very fun. Once it became clear that the market mechanics and lack of personality in the AI barred any real sense of attachment (or familiarity) with these pinatas, they all seemed like vacuous automatons with dollar signs on their backs. I wanted a game centered around nurturing personality (e.g. Black and White on PC, for example). Not some junior capitalist training simulator.

One day, after a few hours of staring at my garden trying to figure out what I wanted to motivate myself to do, I realized I was forcing myself to play in spite of meaning or fun - not because of it. That's when I put it down for good and took a walk in the park.

Part of me wants to pick it up again (it has yet to be sold). Sadly, I'm cynical that the effort will be rewarded.

ps: The load times, though small compared to some past titles, were too long for me to find jumping around between the various books and stores comfortable. This probably contributed to my dislike a bit also

Scott
10-18-2007, 03:40 PM

Dude, it's a common instance in the game where you are stuck waiting for some random pinata to show up, then wait for the second one to show up, then try to get them to do the dirty together, before you can finally advance. No matter how many attractants I put down, and how much I had enough grass/water whatever in my garden, I would have to wait for a really long time to get something come, much less stay. I remember waiting forever for a stupid duck to show up, only for it to ignore the 10 pieces of bread I had down that it had to eat to stay, and then left, all after I had waited a half hour for it to show up. If that's not tedium, I don't know what is.

Cov3rt
10-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Dude, it's a common instance in the game where you are stuck waiting for some random pinata to show up, then wait for the second one to show up, then try to get them to do the dirty together, before you can finally advance. No matter how many attractants I put down, and how much I had enough grass/water whatever in my garden, I would have to wait for a really long time to get something come, much less stay. I remember waiting forever for a stupid duck to show up, only for it to ignore the 10 pieces of bread I had down that it had to eat to stay, and then left, all after I had waited a half hour for it to show up. If that's not tedium, I don't know what is.

I didn't seem to encouter the problem. It could have been that your garden had too many pinatas in it and couldn't eat your things because there was no room to join.

Personally, the worst thing I encountered in the game was things going invisable.

I think another reason people didn't like the game is because they tried to keep as many different pinata in their garden rather then ditching them for the cooler ones.

Toxic
10-18-2007, 03:45 PM
I didn't seem to encouter the problem. It could have been that your garden had too many pinatas in it and couldn't eat your things because there was no room to join.

Personally, the worst thing I encountered in the game was things going invisable.

I think another reason people didn't like the game is because they tried to keep as many different pinata in their garden rather then ditching them for the cooler ones.

What makes one pinata "cooler" than another? Regardless, I wanted to identify with my pinatas and resented the necessity to ditch them like insignificant objects (if they were so insignificant, why was I playing at all?)

Cov3rt
10-18-2007, 03:50 PM

...no.

......or mabey good and bad are just opinions

What makes one pinata "cooler" than another? Regardless, I wanted to identify with my pinatas and resented the necessity to ditch them like insignificant objects (if they were so insignificant, why was I playing at all?)
Example being early on you start with a Worm and eventually can get the bigger guys like Elephants and what not.

While not required, you had the ability to build up the value of your pinata and see how it stood on the leaderboard for that pinata.

Like I said, if you went into the game thinking otherwise, that's not exactly doing your homework on the game.

StrikeHard
10-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Oh and Halo 3

Cov3rt
10-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Oh and Halo 3

Why Halo 3?

Scott
10-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Why Halo 3?

Because taking a contrarian view and dissing something extremely popular makes some people feel like they just added cool points to their being. Not that Halo 3 is the end all be all game, but stating it as the worst game (especially noting his "collection" list) is nothing more than attempted coolness through lame hyperbole. Oh, yes, it's just his opinion so I'm sure he actually believes it so its automatically valid and useful. Well, that's my opinion.

Toxic
10-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Because taking a contrarian view and dissing something extremely popular makes some people feel like they just added cool points to their being. Not that Halo 3 is the end all be all game, but stating it as the worst game (especially noting his "collection" list) is nothing more than attempted coolness through lame hyperbole. Oh, yes, it's just his opinion so I'm sure he actually believes it so its automatically valid and useful. Well, that's my opinion.

Word to the (un)wise: Posting opinions unsubstantiated with a rational makes you look exactly how Scott painted you. It doesn't take a genius to explain in short detail what *exactly* you found problematic about a title (but it does take a mind and the ability to see past instinctual preference).

Ghost
10-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Why Halo 3?

Maybe he has only purchased Halo 3. This thread is supposed to be your worst game that you have purchased, not just the worst Xbox 360 game out of them all.

Toxic
10-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Maybe he has only purchased Halo 3. This thread is supposed to be your worst game that you have purchased, not just the worst Xbox 360 game out of them all.

Maybe, but then again maybe not. I can speculate all day, but only he can tell me. So again: why...

Scott
10-18-2007, 04:05 PM

That guy has said he has other games around the forum

So he definitely purchased more than Halo 3. There are a few people who would claim Shadowrun is better than Halo 3, but there are also several people who find Carlos Mencia funny or have their own limbs cut off because it pleases them aesthetically. I have a hard time relating to such people.

Toxic
10-18-2007, 04:08 PM
That guy has said he has other games around the forum

So he definitely purchased more than Halo 3. There are a few people who would claim Shadowrun is better than Halo 3, but there are also several people who find Carlos Mencia funny or have their own limbs cut off because it pleases them aesthetically. I have a hard time relating to such people.

I don't know, perhaps he stole the rest.