PDA

View Full Version : 40GB PS3 sells out at Amazon

Scott
10-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Sony Corp.'s new 40GB Playstation 3 sold out in advanced orders at retailer Amazon.com on Tues.
The new 40GB model, which includes a Blu-ray disc drive, built-in Wi-Fi, a wireless controller, and a copy of Spider-Man 3 on Blu-ray disc, will sell for $399 on Nov. 2.

Customers can opt to receive an e-mail alert when the product returns to availability.

Amazon began offering the product over the weekend following an announcement of the new product early last week.

The latest version lacks backwards compatibility found in previous models including the 20GB, 60GB, and limited compatibility in the 80GB.

Sony last week announced the 40GB SKU in addition to a price cut of the 80GB by $100 to $499. In July it price cut the 60GB SKU to $499, where it will remain until stock is depleted.

The new retail strategy will likely spike sales of the hardware, which held demand far below Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 and Nintendo Co.'s Wii in U.S. Sept. sales.

This week, Sony released the action title Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction and card battle title Eye of Judgement.

The PS3 has sold about 1.85 million units to date in the U.S.

http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=5017

SONY is about to find out, just like MS did, that no one really gives that much of a **** about b/compatiblity when you have tons of next gen games coming out.

Toxic
10-26-2007, 05:03 PM
I guess it will never go through people's heads that Amazon.com sales amount to almost nothing. So what if they're sold out ? What if they had 100 in stock ?

GF Eric
10-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Thats why I would buy it directly like I did with my 360. I want to have it and not wait for the stock to return. I would ask for my money back if I payed for it and it was sold out before I got mine.

Scott
10-26-2007, 05:13 PM
I guess it will never go through people's heads that Amazon.com sales amount to almost nothing. So what if they're sold out ? What if they had 100 in stock ?

It's called a consensus and is indicative of buying trends. Amazon isn't the kind of place that gets only 100 of such an item. Duh.