PDA

View Full Version : HD Movie Sales: Week ending December 9th

Scott
12-13-2007, 10:51 PM
This week it was 76:24 in favor of Blu-ray. Thought this forum would appreciate hearing about this numbers sooner than later.

Source: Nielsen/Videoscan

link (http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=10996)

another link (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=951811&page=10)

Toxic
12-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Not surprising to be honest.
I don't think anyone finds the numbers surprising.

TeknoVagrant
12-13-2007, 11:41 PM
all i have to say is that all these numbers are bs. i own both formats but what i cant tell is who is making money. toshiba cuts prices on players so my guess is they lose money there. But generally speaking they charge full price for there movies making a profit. sony on the other hand dropped 200 for there ps3 and really doesnt have a entry level player like toshiba (toshiba makes a 1080i player bluray doesnt cutting down cost) so sony is losing money on the players and not making money on the movies because even though i own 20 plus bluray titles the avarage price i have paid has been around 12 dollars while i have purchase 15 hd dvd titles with the average price being 25 dollars. so who is winning is my question!!!!!! i hope someone responds to me not the stupid inflated sales figure above!

Toxic
12-13-2007, 11:42 PM
all i have to say is that all these numbers are bs. i own both formats but what i cant tell is who is making money. toshiba cuts prices on players so my guess is they lose money there. But generally speaking they charge full price for there movies making a profit. sony on the other hand dropped 200 for there ps3 and really doesnt have a entry level player like toshiba (toshiba makes a 1080i player bluray doesnt cutting down cost) so sony is losing money on the players and not making money on the movies because even though i own 20 plus bluray titles the avarage price i have paid has been around 12 dollars while i have purchase 15 hd dvd titles with the average price being 25 dollars. so who is winning is my question!!!!!! i hope someone responds to me not the stupid inflated sales figure above!

What the peep are you talking about.
It isn't Sony vs Toshiba. You don't buy movies directly from the manufacturer. This thread isn't about profits/revenues.

TeknoVagrant
12-13-2007, 11:43 PM
what i am trying to say is people post these sales numbers to...
1. Justify what format they purchased
2. Claim that a format is actually winning
but in the end its about profits. and what fox, sony, and disney are trying to trick universal and others is.... Look how many disc we sold. but i now see why sony's own guru calls this a stalemate. he knows neighter is winning because while they sell more disk they probably really dont make as much has hd dvd with every disk they sell. proof comes with the transformers and spidey first week sales. hd dvd won. i just hope one format wins or they just unite. that way hdm could take off. because everyday it looks like a ninche market smaller than laser disk. just my two cents!

jakncoke
12-14-2007, 03:48 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/ookiespookie/nielsen_list120907.jpg

figured I'd post this. Blu-Ray winning again, too back it's small compared to DVD.