PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Parts?

LiNuX
05-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Anyone know of good places that sell laptop parts? I have seen a few but I already have a lot of experience building desktops and I am working on another one for my dad but i thought I'd start up on Laptops as well.

I already know how to assemble and disassemble them cuz I've done that to plenty of poor laptops including my sister's old laptop yesterday :D - took it apart and put it back together cuz it didn't work, i failed to fix it because i think the motherboard is corrupted and it's a really old model

since I can't fix my sis's laptop - i was thinking of getting new parts for it, probably a motherboard, cpu, and a new gpu and just trade it's place with the current laptop but its hard finding good places that sell laptop parts

Samus-Fan
05-05-2008, 08:38 PM
eBay for sure.

Neweeg, I don't think so but you can check.

Those, or you can sell strait from message boards.

LiNuX
05-05-2008, 08:44 PM
eBay for sure.

Neweeg, I don't think so but you can check.

Those, or you can sell strait from message boards.

newegg doesn't have the essentials - mostly hard drive and i have those already

i am checking on ebay but too many are sold "as-is" and i don't feel like spending money on parts that's not sure to work

and the working parts are more expensive than the store

i already know a few places to get them, but the prices are just too high for me at the moment.

Kujo
05-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Hey Linux... I can't help you with your problem.. but perhaps you can help me with mine. I was hoping to someday switch out the GPU in my laptop but I'm not sure ho to go about doing that. I know it has an ATI x1800 in there, and I think its a full size too... but I always sort of assumed that hey were mounted in there in an un-replacible sort of way. Do you know what I could do to get one of the newer cards in there?

Its a Dell XPS M2010. I know that the card thats in there is a single slot PCI-e, and a most of the new new NEW cards are all double slot cars, so I know those wont fit, but ... well.. what do you think?

LiNuX
05-05-2008, 11:18 PM
you cant fit two people in one toilet if that makes any sense

but i don't understand your question - do you want to know how to take out your card or how you can fit a new card in there?

if you want to know how to take it out then if you know how the RAM is placed in there, the GPU is in there like that but on the inside - usually right under the keyboard by the LCD - if you can remove the keyboard there may be a slot there where you can take the screws out and get full access to it

but as for fitting a double slot card on a single slot one - i am not sure how you can do that - i am not an expert on laptop hardware - well not even close to how much i know about desktops but i do know some - i've just never bought a laptop or used a laptop for gaming unless i HAD to lol

Kujo
05-05-2008, 11:25 PM
NO no no no no... I simply want to upgrade my existing card, and replace it with a new one. What my major question was, do you know if laptops use full sized cards or am I going to have to search for some freak mutant sideways card?

That and, I'm not sure I would know what to do if the I/O ports didnt match up with the current ones. You know, the connectors on the card that you would normally plug a monitor into. I'm not sure how that works with a laptop. How do you connect the LCD to a laptop card?

LiNuX
05-05-2008, 11:31 PM
oh - laptop GPU is not the same as desktop gpu - they are much spammer and slimmer and generally don't have a fan so you'll have to look towards finding a laptop GPU

Dell E1705 9400 Geforce 7800 256MB Video Graphics Card - eBay (item 160237301113 end time May-11-08 13:28:18 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-E1705-9400-Geforce-7800-256MB-Video-Graphics-Card_W0QQitemZ160237301113QQihZ006QQcategoryZ74957 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

that ebay link is an example of a laptop GPU

and u see that wire coming through? it'll usually find a way to connect with the LCD -

but my laptop is completely different - i have two little wires (one black and one green) with VERY small connectors that I have to kinda snap into place in the GPU itself

but i've only screwed with the GPU of Toshiba laptops - I have a Lenovo one which works fine so I am gonna open it up to see what its like lol

Kujo
05-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Been busy but thanks for this Linux. I hate Ebay.. but I may not have any other choice if I want to upgrade this damned thing.

LiNuX
05-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Been busy but thanks for this Linux. I hate Ebay.. but I may not have any other choice if I want to upgrade this damned thing.

lol - ebay is ok but it isn't easy finding good laptop parts since buying a premade laptop would be much cheaper than building your own because parts cost like twice as much as desktop

i was just looking for parts to fix a few laptops i have lying around

Kujo
05-13-2008, 11:06 PM
I dont want a new laptop tho. I just reallly want to play games on the one I have. Btw... the one I have is the "OMG... thats too big for a laptop" laptop from Dell. The XPS M2010. (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m2010?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19) Its got everything else I need. HUGE screen, beautiful looks, semi-portability. Its a complete desktop replacement except for that one fact. The X1800 just doesnt quite cut it.

LiNuX
05-13-2008, 11:19 PM
I dont want a new laptop tho. I just reallly want to play games on the one I have. Btw... the one I have is the "OMG... thats too big for a laptop" laptop from Dell. The XPS M2010. (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m2010?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19) Its got everything else I need. HUGE screen, beautiful looks, semi-portability. Its a complete desktop replacement except for that one fact. The X1800 just doesnt quite cut it.

that's pricey lol but looks awesome

and i don't want a new laptop either lol, i just need some good working parts to fix my old ones - my dad bought a laptop on saturday (delivery is tomorrow) so I kinda have his old toshiba to fix and see if i can get it to work and maybe even sell it later