Default Disney kills Chronicles of Narnia

The last Narnia movie Prince Caspian earned Disney a cool $200 million or so in pure profit after production costs, and you’d think that would be enough to guarantee at least one more sequel. You would be wrong.

The third movie in the Narnia series (and my favorite of C.S. Lewis’s books), Voyage of the Dawn Treader had been in pre-production at Disney, on track for a 2010 release date. Now though, Disney has pulled out. HR reports that Disney will not co-produce and co-finance the next Narnia movie.

Though the last movie did indeed make a lot of money, Disney saw the writing on the wall. It made money, but a lot less than the first film. Perhaps more importantly, the buzz over Prince Caspian was decidedly muted. The film was barely more than an afterthought in a summer full of Batman and exciting Robert Downey Jr. projects. Clearly Disney expects that downward trend to continue with Dawn Treader and they’ve decided to get out while the getting is good.

That doesn’t mean the Narnia series is dead and in the box. Walden Media is the production company which has been making these movies for Disney and they already have a strong relationship with 20th Century Fox, via their Fox Walden Studios. Walden will probably start shopping Dawn Treader around to other studios looking for financing and there’s at least a chance they might be able to talk Fox or someone else into funding Aslan’s land. Or maybe they too will take a look at the mounting disinterest in this series, compare it to the tremendous cost of getting these movies done (the first two cost in the $150 - $200 million range) and take a pass on it. For now Aslan is lost in development limbo.
    Disney Kills Chronicles Of Narnia

Good, ty Disney ty, they should do some epic handdrawn movie, screw tech kick it old school with the likes of Lion King and 101 Dalmations..ect

lol...i didn't watch any of the narnia movies, didn't appeal to me so meh...don't really care about it lol - looks like narnia stops at 2...
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

2 things-

1- haha at the thread title typo
    2- no studio better pick up the 3rd movie...should of read the entire article before getting my hopes up

fixed thread title...i missed it too

maybe nickelodeon will pick it up lol...nah..i doubt anyone will pick it up, and even if they do, not like im gonna watch it lol
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Walden is supposed to be trying to get Fox to pick it up.
    PM me if you have any problems. Just don't annoy me out of my wits.

Just thinking....It's actually smart of Fox to pick it up as they have had quite a few duds lately and the chance of making 100-200 million profit would be a major success

I saw the first one when it came out, I thought it was pretty good.
    But I can't remember much because it was a long time ago.
    I haven't seen the second one, but I heard from a few people that it was pretty good.
    Ah well.

The first one made like 600 Mil, so a 400 million dropoff must have had Disney freaking out.
    PM me if you have any problems. Just don't annoy me out of my wits.

Looked it up....

1st had a budget of 180 million and made 745 million WW

2nd had a budget of 200 million and made 419 million WW

Thread Information