I have just started this to record the progress of the games that I play and hopefully to entertain too. I may even leave cheats in this journal for people who may or may not play these games.

Okay, my wife and I cleared out Super Mario World and decided to play SMWII.

This game is much different than Super Mario World. It is more childish and trippy too. It reminds me so much of Yoshi Story on Nintendo 64.

World 1

We have just went through the first world and we are now at the castle. This section is basically a tutorial of the game. You will find your self avoiding all sorts of Super Mario Brothers 2 and 3 things except you will be Yoshi carrying a baby Mario. You will need to protect him as you go through each level passing him on to another Yoshi like the Olympic Torch.

Oh and watch out for the big ball thingys, they are even bigger in this one and they jump out from the background tearing holes in the ground. Yeah I know, that is scary.

World 1 Castle 1

I hate lava, and yes it is just so classic that this part would have lava. But there are some unique goodies when ever you hit the ? clouds. That is some what of a relief. The background was another thing that I was avoiding. Yes the background in this game can bite, or in this case smash! You will notice the wooden walls. Be cautious of them because they will fall on you and then raise back up for another. And there is this big ugly thing that I do not like. It seems like a waste of time to shoot eggs in its mouth though.

World 1-7 Where I got stoned playing Mario

I just have to bring this part to attention! If any of you are from the 60's then you so have to play this part! It might take you back. There are these spore things right. And if you hit one of these things then all of these colors starts to come out. Every thing around you will start getting all bendy and foldy. I am talking about a major Mario TRIP!

World 2

Aside from the falling big blocks, the koopas are in this world. They actually have a personality look to them. Warning, Do not shoot eggs at base ball players. What I think is really cool is the ice breath and the watermelon seed spit. These two abilities are great for those pesky base ball players.

World 2 Castle 1

Those ghost dudes that go...

BOOGYWOOGYWOOGYWOOGY!!!!! are a pain in the butt. But other than that, the big ghost boss was simple. It started to worry me there for a second when I got the chance to hit him, he was almost bigger than the screen. Oh yeah, turn you back and bounce the eggs off the wall when he appears. That is how you hit him.

World 2 Castle 2

Eek! More Lava! Evil flowers, and these duded that pass missiles on like a 2 cent... coin and drop them on top of your head. How will we get out of this one. Oh good a flower pot is near by with a key, and no key hole! Now the bad guy is a trip. I have heard of the Genie of the lamp, but the Genie of the flower pot is just crazy. Luckily all you have to do is push his pot off the edge and your done.

World 3

Monkeys!!!! and jungle people. I even became a helicopter and a missile shooting sub.

World 3 Castle 1

The evil witch thing shrunk me and a frog ate me. Play, you have to hit the little thing that hangs out the back of his mouth a whole bunch while avoiding monsters and acid drops. But be warned! When you defeat him you will escape in a way that you will never want to tell your friends. This would be part of the story that you would leave out when you tell your grand children.

World 3 Castle 2

There is this snake thing inside this tunnel and it is very mean. Unfortunately it is blocking my only way threw, I just started to throw things in its face and I think this is working. The plant dude really takes some precision to kill.

World 4

I have to point out that Yoshi got stoned again, but this time in an area full of more holes and things. Oh and there are goombas all over the place as well as the bullet people. This world is getting interesting. You also get to float on balloons. And crap explodes under your feet. The baby bird things go in circles when you shoot them. This may prove useful.

World 4 Castle 1

Remember how I told you about the big ball things in the background? Well this time they don't just fall down and eat the ground. Now you need to keep on running because they follow you, they are 10 time bigger than you and they are hungry!

There is a point to where you will need a key. I found one, and went in the center room that required it. Then I went to the next door in that room, only to find that I needed another key. So I went back and found another room and found a key. So I went back in to the room and unlocked the door only to find out that I needed yet another key! WTF! Looks like I need to find another key.

World 4 Castle 2

The boss of this level is an over sized Koopa Troopa. Now the key is to pound on his back until he spits out eggs. Take the eggs and wait until he stands up. Then you let him have it until he flips on his back. Then pound his stomach. It is as simple as that.
    Last edited by jason_chambers; 07-27-2009 at 12:06 AM.

I am writing a second post to my first one only because it started to get a little slow when I was editing my progress. I don't know how far the post limit goes and I do not want to write a whole bunch more and get rejected.

World 5

This is the ice level, so apparently I am climbing up the mountain now. You know those pesky guys from all of the other Mario games that throw those spiky eggs at you. Well this time they are more powerful and I have Yoshi. I still do not take any crap from these guys. Oh and I am sliding on the ice too. There are also the guys that crap out those spike things from their mouths and throw them at you.

How is #2 is comparison to #1 iyo

Overall I find this game far more unique than that of your typical Mario game. One of the big differences in the game is the fact that you are not playing as Mario, but as Yoshi, "Like Yoshi Story on N64". Baby Mario is riding on your back the whole way. The game play looks like this game starting the foundation to Yoshi Story. Now through the whole game, you have to protect baby Mario. If you get hit, then Mario will float away in a bubble and you have to catch him before your timer runs out. If you do not catch him, then it is game over. You can actually manipulate the timer by getting these little happy star things that can boost it up to 30 seconds. Your normal is 10 seconds. But lets say that you lost Mario for 15 seconds and your timer was at 20, then you will have 5 seconds left when ever you get hit again. But don't worry, as long as you have baby Mario, your timer will slowly go back up to 10 max.

There are all sorts of surprises waiting for you.

The graphics are crappy on the map. It looks like crayon markings. But as for the game it self, they are slightly better than Super Mario World in the 16 bit detailed aspects. The pause menu is more kiddie like.

Thread Information