Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another Server Move?

We may be moving to a new datacenter soon. As some of you may know, I have been busy the past two weeks or so and that's because our current DC Owner decided to sell the company to someone else. The new owner promised a lot of improvements and increase in support, that was the first day of the take over, haven't heard a peep from the new owner(s) since.

I've never had good luck with new host owners, this is probably the third time in Gamers Forum's history where we had a change in web hosting owner (one way or another) and the last two times haven't been delightful and I doubt this one will be as well. So over the next few weeks I may be looking for new hosts to move to because the last thing I want to risk is the forum with the new server.

This is just a "heads up" thread for those that care. This will be the second server move for GF this year, and about the 6th in our 3 year history. I really hate moving.

If anyone has any suggestions or even recommendations for good server providers, I'd love to hear them.

~LiNuX
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Damn that sucks hopefully you can find a good server

Damn Again?

I hope we can find a new server that will work out this time.

When are you going to host yourself? I vaguely remember you saying that was the ultimate goal. How's that coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by jakncoke View Post
    When are you going to host yourself? I vaguely remember you saying that was the ultimate goal. How's that coming along?
    well I was planning on hosting at home but my internet connection is no where near good to host a heavy traffic site like this - we get a lot of pageviews which uses a lot of bandwidth and my upload speed is less than 1mbps

the server we are on has an upload speed of 100mbps, that's why pages load so fast for you guys - at home, it would literally take a 100x longer. And I do own a hosting company and the end goal of that is to rent out our own Datacenter office somewhere in the City, when that happens, I can set aside some space for a server for Gamers Forum. But right now I'm limited by budget on all ends to run my own server form home or an office. So I have to rent them from other sources, sources that already co-locate in Datacenters.

And I was thinking of getting Verizon fios when it becomes available for me - their upload speed would make it a lot better but I heard they block port 80 which is necessary for web hosting servers to work. So I stopped relying on them to bring the service to me a while back.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

Hmmm, another move. We really do need to find something a bit more permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyCat72 View Post
    Hmmm, another move. We really do need to find something a bit more permanent.
    nothing is forever - and the move doesn't take more than a day to complete and 2 moves a year isn't too much to worry about. Our current host was really good, I had no intentions of going anywhere, but the new owner is disappointing and scaring me - if the server goes down, then moving servers will become near impossible, so I'm just trying to be proactive about it right now.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Goodluck Linux

GODSPEED!
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

Yuck, that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by LemonRising View Post
    GODSPEED!
    +1

Thread Information