Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Mexico decriminalizes all drugs

Mexico enacted a controversial law on Thursday that decriminalizes possession of small amounts of marijuana, cocaine, heroin and other drugs while encouraging free government treatment for drug dependency.

The law defines "personal use" amounts for drugs, also including LSD and methamphetamines. People detained with those quantities no longer face criminal prosecution when the law goes into effect on Friday.

Anyone caught with drug amounts under the personal-use limit will be encouraged to seek treatment, and for those caught a third time treatment is mandatory — although the law does not specify penalties for noncompliance.

In 2006, the U.S. government publicly criticized a similar bill. Then-President Vicente Fox sent that law — which did not have a mandatory treatment provision — back to Congress for reconsideration.

The maximum amount considered to be for "personal use" under the new law is 5 grams of marijuana — the equivalent of two or three joints — or a half-gram of cocaine. The limit for methamphetamine is 40 milligrams, and 0.015 milligrams of LSD.

The law was approved by Congress before it recessed in late April, and President Felipe Calderon — who is leading a major offensives against drug cartels — waited most of the summer before enacting it.

Calderon's original proposal would have required first-time detainees to complete treatment or face jail time. But the lower house of Congress, where Calderon's party was short of a majority, weakened the bill.

Mexico has emphasized the need to differentiate between addicts or casual consumers and the violent drug traffickers whose turf battles have contributed to the deaths of over 11,000 people during Calderon's term. And in the face of growing domestic drug use, Mexico has increased its focus on prevention and drug treatment.

Sen. Pablo Gomez of the leftist Democratic Revolution Party praised the legislation: "This law achieves the decriminalization of drugs, and in exchange, offers government recovery treatment for addicts."

Previously, all drug possession was punishable by stiff jail sentences, with some leeway for those considered addicts and caught with smaller amounts. In practice, relatively few people were prosecuted and sentenced to jail for small-time possession.

wat?

Thats pretty cool.

And one way to get all the mexicans out of america

LAWLS

that was a joke.
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

Holy crap.

That could be very good or very bad. It could cause more drugs coming over the border or it will stop it.

Can't wait to see :/

A few countries have laws like this for weed and it seems to work for them. I don't know how things will turn out for the harder drugs like cocaine and heroin though, people might end up being being more encouraged to go out and try them which could lead to more people getting addicted.
    Last edited by LuckyStrike; 08-20-2009 at 10:47 PM.

I don't paticualary agree with everything being decriminalized. But I think this is a step in the right direction for Mexico. But I don't see much of an impact coming from it. People still have to depend on the cartels to supply the drugs. So legalization and regulation is really the only way this aproach works. Hopefully it'll be good and America will see that prohabition dosnt work and is what creates the violence and crime.

I don't think it'll have any help either for drug problem, because the problem is there. aka the USA. We still snort the hell of there coke and smoke there weed till no end. Till we stop doing there drugs in such mass quantity it'll always be a problem for mexico.

Anyone caught with drug amounts under the personal-use limit will be encouraged to seek treatment
    that part literally made me lol.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

They tried to make me go to rehab....but I said no esse no

I don't really know how this will affect the "war on drugs" in the US but I really wish they would legalize and regulate marijuana here...that would be awesome. They could make a crazy amount of money from taxing it.
    I know you miss the places that I place my finger tips
    I know you'll never find another lover love,
    who will love you like I did

Quote Originally Posted by MissLEGENDARY View Post
    I don't really know how this will affect the "war on drugs" in the US but I really wish they would legalize and regulate marijuana here...that would be awesome. They could make a crazy amount of money from taxing it.
    This is very much what I want the country to do, so many billions could be saved and put into worthy projects.

Thread Information