Default Civilization V video review

There's been plenty of hype about this title, and coming as part of a series of games it's kinda understandable. I was dubious, as I always am, about the level of hype .. but thought I'd give it a try anyway. There have been other more general reviews for Civ5, so I thought I'd give a slightly more 'direct' review .. is it any good? Does it live up to the hype? Or is it like a pensioner's libido - limp and unlikely to cause much arousal ..

Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

oh jango I love you XD

<3

I played the demo on ps3 (it's on it, right? It looks exactly the same) and... yeah... I pretty much agree with everything you've said in here. Probably not one that I'd like to buy.

I love your random ramblings XD Always a joy to listen to you talk :P If the community mods end up being cool, you should do some videos of that. I bet there are some magical people who might make some interesting things...but, well, if it's not that good of a game, then people might not be inspired to make much.

<3 +rep

^ Sig by Foofle ^

Game looks really good in terms of graphics. Came a long way since I first played Civ II.

And you described it as cheese?

And I never really cared for sound for most strategy games, I usually mute the game and have itunes opened in the background.

Good review. I doubt I'll get the game though. Civ IV was a waste of money for me since I only played a few hours - didn't appeal to as much as CIV III did when it first came out. Played that for at least 300-400 hours.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Quote Originally Posted by Muffincat View Post
    oh jango I love you XD ..

<3 +rep
    Lol thanks, appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by LiNuX View Post
    Game looks really good in terms of graphics. Came a long way since I first played Civ II.

And you described it as cheese?
    Tbh the graphics are 'better' but not 'good' imo. And yeah, cheese was the only thing that sprang to mind .. and oddly quite apt.

I used to play the Civ II on my old Pentium III. So maybe what makes this look a whole lot better is my graphics card now.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Quote Originally Posted by LiNuX View Post
    I used to play the Civ II on my old Pentium III. So maybe what makes this look a whole lot better is my graphics card now.
    Aye maybe .. but tbh if you want a fully rounded rts with beautiful graphics in-game, awesome gameplay, lots of depth etc then you can't go wrong with Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery imho. Kicks everything else in the category into touch for an in-depth civ management game.

Just thought I'd share this - here's a few random 'interesting' moments from my time in Civ 5 so far ..

- The time Gandhi went ape-****, and started threatening me.

- When you get an artist you can unleash a 'culture bomb' on unclaimed and enemy territory .. I recently used a bunch of artists to squeeze my enemy out of almost all of their land leaving their workers standing around confused.

- When an NPC opponent boasted about his superior army and mine being puny in comparison. I sent my army (3 melee units, 2 groups of archers, and 2 siege weapons with 1 mounted support) North to fight him and he had .. 3 spearmen ..

- When I built a spaceship and still lost the skirmish match because the NPC opponent built and launched their's ONE move before me .. winning the three hour match.

- The time I tricked Queen Elizabeth I into a truce, demanding that she open her borders as part of the agreement. I then positioned all my units inside each of her cities and very quickly broke the agreement. In the next turn I instantly attacked ALL of her cities at the same time, destroying her and gaining all her lands in 2 turns.

- And finally .. when I used two mounted units early in the game to raid barbarian camps for money and population boosts, and got so many upgrades I actually ended up with two WW2 tanks by 1400 AD when all other units on all sides were still using bows, arrows, and swords ..

Crazy .. but fun ..
    Last edited by jango; 10-10-2010 at 05:59 AM.

Thread Information