Thread: Topic creator +

Default Topic creator Rant

So the way I see it, people make topics about whatever they want, right? But when people make a topic, do they necessarily have "control" over the topic? In some cases, yes, such as if you posted a topic for advice, you're gonna have a little bit more control, but if you make a topic about a new game thats being announced, or a new movie that's announced, I don't see any kind of control over what goes on in the topic aside from just simply posting in it. But sometimes I see people make a topic and defending the topic like it's their homestead. It's like "this is my topic, this is what you post in it. If you wanna post something else, make your own topic" But I think the way it really should work is a topic is like an umbrella. or maybe a parabola. We'll go with parabola. It starts at one point, but it as it goes on, it gets wider and wider. The conversation can go wherever it wants, as long as it fits. So if people want to discuss something that stems off from a certain topic, they should be able to, no?

Here's an example. Take the topic I made about Onlive. It's a system that handles all the processing in another location and streams the image back to you. People could talk about whatever they want that's related, be it the controller, or whether or not the current internet infrastructure is going to be able to handle something like this reasonably, or whatever. Me, as the topic creator, should I be able to say "no you have to talk about the system itself, and not whether or not the internet can handle the streaming well enough. Go make that topic elsewhere, or does that seem weird?

Personally, I feel as if the topic should be allowed to take whatever direction it wants, as long as it generally stays somewhat related. If a topic about OnLive magically transformed into Talking about what brand of kitty litter works best, I'd say something's up. This also leads me to another point, i've seen topics here closed for seemingly no reason. It's an old topic, but there was a resident evil 5 topic at one point, and it got closed. I still wanted to discuss the topic, but I couldn't. There was also a topic from other saying he changed his name to linx before the band, and that got closed like 3 posts in for no reason...I mean, it got re-opened later, but I figured i'd bring this up as well as long as i'm on a similar topic, though it isn't a big deal, or a deal at all, just somethin.
    Last edited by EpsilonX; 12-02-2010 at 07:31 PM.

What thread got reopened? I remember closing his thread because he was banned but I don't remember it being reopened.

Also, I agree with your parabola point. It's not a problem if a topic strays as long as it stays somewhat related or comes back to the topic after a small tangent.

And also if you want a thread reopened because you think it's useful, use the report button and ask for it to be reopened. As long as it isn't controversial and as long as it's still useful, we'll reopen it.

I tend not to close old threads but mods have their own way to modding and I have no problem with it. Perhaps one of the mods can better address about closing certain threads. But either way, you can use the report button to request a thread to be reopened.

Other than that, not sure what else to say in this thread.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

well it was mostly making a point of people don't own the threads they make, unless it's about a personal subject. the topic closings thing was just something i tacked onto the end.

Ah. Well you're right, they don't own the threads, they just own the posts they make. Well, I wouldn't even use the word "ownership" - but...they have a "right to" the post they make because they made it. I want to use a better work but can't think of anything.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by LiNuX View Post
    I want to use a better work but can't think of anything.
    that's some pretty ironic word choice

As far as I'm aware, we allow some tangentially "off-topic" posting... it happens all the time; it's the natural course of how the forum operates (as you point out.) Feel free to bring it up with me anytime (or any of the mods, really) I'm online if something happens that you feel should be handled differently. We're decent enough people to at least hear you out
    Read the forum rules! Talk to us in the IRC! Tell us why you joined!
    ديليجيز
    J+A <3

I'm not editing to make it proper. I'll take 'work'

and It's not really a natural course just for the forum, you find that in every forum and in every day conversation really. It's normal but I know how it can get annoying sometimes.

Also I encourage people to use the 'report' button if they want a moderator to look at a post if they believe it to be off topic or spam or anything else. That's what the button is for. As long as the same person doesn't abuse it to just get back at a user or something.

See, i've almost done that before, but since it said its only to be used for spam and harassment, i didnt lol

Quote Originally Posted by EpsilonX View Post
    See, i've almost done that before, but since it said its only to be used for spam and harassment, i didnt lol
    It might be 'said' to be for that, but generally people use it for all sorts of things if something warrants special attention

Thread Information