Thread: Arch Linux

Default Arch Linux

I'd like to dedicate a thread to my favorite Linux distribution in hopes that some of you guys will try it.

Things to Know About Arch:

1. It isn't for noobs
    Arch definitely isn't really that hard, but you need to know your way around a Linux command line. By default, it does not come with a GUI like the more popular distros, though one can be added. But you must deal with a terminal interface until your desktop environment is set up. It helps if you to know about things like partitions and filesystems during the install. You may also need to know a little about Linux config files. However, here is a Beginner's Guide available on the Arch wiki, which should guide you through the install as long as you know the basics.

2. It's very minimal, and as a result, lightweight
    A basic Arch installation can run on approximately 200MB of disk space and 64MB of RAM. This is a command-line interface with basic daemons and such. When you're setting up your Arch system, you get to choose exactly what packages you want installed on top of this base system. If you want to set up a Web server, you can just install a few daemons and be good to go. If you want a desktop environment, you can install Xorg and alsa and pick any one you want. But the most important thing is that what you choose to install is all that gets installed. Distros like Ubuntu aim to work out of the box for everyone, and thus come with loads of junk you will never need. And just because it's lightweight doesn't mean it can't be sexy either. It is very easy to customize an Arch system to be beautiful.

3. It is a learning experience
    If you don't know much about Linux, Arch will teach you. The Beginner's Guide teaches you a lot, but the actual process of setting it up does a much better job. You know exactly what is going on behind the scenes on your computer, plus you pick up a few command-line commands on the way too.

4. pacman is the greatest package manager
    Debian, Ubuntu, and related distros use a package manager called apt. Arch Linux uses pacman. It does not have issues with dependency resolution that I always encountered with apt. pacman is fast and lightweight and does everything you need it to without problems. By default, it is a command line only tool, however graphical frontends exist. I prefer to use the command line anyway.

Learning About, Getting, Installing, and Using Arch

The homepage of Arch Linux is Arch Linux
    ISO downloads can be found at Arch Linux - Downloads
    The wiki: Main Page - ArchWiki
    **Beginner's Guide**: Beginners' Guide - ArchWiki (seriously, read it)
    Last edited by leica; 12-15-2010 at 11:49 PM.

OMGOSH someone who thinks Arch is cool

I am not alone.............YAY haha I love the dedication Leica simple and straight up
    Last edited by Ailithic; 12-16-2010 at 12:01 AM.

Yay, I'm not alone either!
    We're a minority, but we're a strong one. <3

By the way, you spelled my name wrong. >_>

Haha fixed da right up.

I think the best thing is how easy it is to understand and learn to use.
    But as you said "you must deal with a terminal interface until your desktop environment is set up"
    I had messed a few things up a long time ago and had to revert to ma macbook for info on how to fix what I had done (still dont understand what I did though)

Nice thread. I used arch a while back but haven't touched it for a while. Nowadays I use Fedora and CentOS - even though they come with a gui, I usually just connect through terminal and do stuff. (Unless I decide to use it to browse through pages since my server is always on and I don't feel like turning on my pc).
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

How does it compared to Linux Mint?

Thread Information