Default Solid State Drive

I was just curious if anyone else was using one. I was thinking about getting one for my desktop PC, but I heard a lot of negative reviews about them still being a little glitchy so I held off.

I just realized and I don't know how I didn't before, but my Laptop for school has a SSD for my operating system and a regular harddrive for everything else. I guess I never watched my computer turn on until today, and I noticed it was basically instant. The laptop was a gift for me, so I never really checked in My Computer to see the hard drive, I only looked in dxdiag.

Anyway, I haven't had too many issues with freezing or crashing which is supposed to be notorious for SSD's. Has anyone else been running a SSD and having no issues? Thinking about getting one for my desktop now since this one is running pretty smoothly. Anyone else experiment with a SSD drive yet?

I don't run one, but know a few people who do. They're apparently a lot more stable than a standard HD as there's no moving parts, and like you said a million times faster. One runs a 16GB for the OS, and the other was a 64Gb that he has a couple games on it as well as the OS. Never heard a complaint, other than the price of them as it's pretty new tech yet.

My husband has one and loves it. Loads so much more quickly and smoothly. From what I understand from my own research and talking to people that use them, when shopping for an SSD, what you pay for is what you get. If you buy a cheap one, odds are you may have some issues.

I highly recommend and can't wait until I get mind

I don't think they're worth it yet in my opinion. They are much better than they used to be a year ago but I still hear about SSDs failing more often than standard ones. Although the percentage is little, knowing my luck, the SSD I get will be a faulty one so I'm staying away for now. It's also probably because I work with computers all day, I hear stories all the time (all the time meaning once in a while, not every single day).

Also their prices are getting lower so that's a plus. And I don't have personal exp with SSDs so don't take my post here as word of god.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Now that I think about it, my laptop does freeze a lot while opening and exiting games, but I'm not sure if that's the SSD or if it's Windows 8. I had to restart my computer 3 times today while playing on my laptop at a friends house.

It could be Windows 8 though, like for Fall Out 3. To play it on Windows 8, you have to change like 10 settings in the program files and even then the game will only start 1 out 3 times. Also the Auto Safe feature has to be turned off. I'm sure some of the freezes when opening and exiting games could be caused by more compatibility issues, but may be SSD too. Who knows... I hate computers...

I'll probably hold off longer until I attempt to get a SSD, thanks for the info though everyone.

I was thinking about getting one for my laptop, but I think I'll change my mind. I mean I have a friend who has one, and it was a cheap kind that he got on newegg. sadly, within 6 months of use, it died on him. started having issues with reading data. but having a nice system running everything smooth is glad to have though. it works for some people right? I'm glad I stopped by this thread cause I was looking into getting one too. after seeing everyone's shared opinions, its very helpful. Thanks for creating this thread trunks!

I got a SSD just for my windows files. It boots up really quickly!
    But other than that I use a HDD for storage, because per GB HDD are way cheaper!
    www.mmoraven.com - mmo and mmorpg portal

My OS boots off it, takes like 9 seconds to get to going. So sexy

Thread Information