Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Psn

I don't know what else I can say, Sony was extremely stupid. They've got enough money to make a secure network and chose not to. It's extremely pathetic, especially after having the network security being broken into before (although, for less insidious purposes)

Also, here's part of the ToS for PSN:

^Sig made by Lemons^
    "And if you succeed, you will do so... without recognition. Because you. Do not. Exist."

Quote Originally Posted by Ilyich Valken View Post
    I don't know what else I can say, Sony was extremely stupid. They've got enough money to make a secure network and chose not to. It's extremely pathetic, especially after having the network security being broken into before (although, for less insidious purposes)

Also, here's part of the ToS for PSN:
    The parts you have quoted specifically cover loss of video game save information and access to the PSN. Not a breach of security.

That does not cover the loss of personal information such as credit cards. Im pretty sure if we look around there are general business standards for that sort of thing.
    Last edited by BobTD; 04-29-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

Especially if their security was as lax as I've heard it was. I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard that they stored passwords in plaintext, and didn't even bother encrypting them.

If that's true (don't know if it is), then there could be actual claims against them for not protecting their information properly.

^ Sig by Foofle ^

They only encrypted credit card information.

Everything else was plain text.

24 hours after fact, notice is supposed to be given with any "hint" that personal information could have been compromised.

"All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken. The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack."

"While all credit card information stored in our systems is encrypted and there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained. Keep in mind, however that your credit card security code (sometimes called a CVC or CSC number) has not been obtained because we never requested it from anyone who has joined the PlayStation Network or Qriocity, and is therefore not stored anywhere in our system."
    Last edited by Brav0snow; 04-29-2011 at 07:44 PM.
    PSN: Brav0snow

Thread Information