Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Why i love MMORPGS

Ok kinda gay topic i know but I DO!!!

What do you guys think?

I love MMORPG because its not a simple "play through and win" kinda game. You can play them for years and never be **The Best** ( there is always someone better ). You have to take on quest that can last for hours which to me makes it really fun.

You need to set goals with-in MMORPG's because its not easy to aquire something. I kinda get annoyed when people pay for items and you have grafted for weeks to get but hey its the way the world works i guess. Do you guys feel the same way or just think there a waste of time because you could be spawn camping someone on COD?? ( lol )

MMOs is good if you think it like that but many MMOs got also very repetive tasks and hours of grinding. But If you only play PvP then Im shore that its funny.

im not much into mmo games and never been, I have tried wow but I want more story gameplay, so maybe I test TOR(the old republic)

A gay topic indeed...

I've played several MMOs over the course of a couple of years, and I'm really glad I don't anymore. I've never played boring mainstream bullsh*t like WoW or EVE or Runescape, because they are honestly all replaceable palette swaps with zero new ideas and no creativity or base IQ requirement. Seen one seen all kind of thing. The first MMO I've played (and the first one to make a name for the genre) was Ultima Online.

I played it for quite some time because unlike WoW(and any other basic MMO) it had a great essence, it based on a long series of games, it had the best gameplay system to date and it was just huge.
    Skills weren't the boring generic "buy skill book spend skill points" kind of thing, instead you could gain skill points by executing a specific skill like chopping wood, fighting, forging, stealing or even begging.
    It was complex enough to keep anyone too young or too stupid away from the game.

Unlike any to-date MMO.
    It's usually the community that ruins a good MMO, be it WoW with super no-life farmers, raging and flaming 15-year olds or others, or any F2P MMO like take LoL with idiots who can't grasp the concept of teamwork or any generic brand of "however you can screw up a game".

All MMOs, no matter if they are subscription based or Free, they are all built around the one single concept of getting players addicted fast and then keeping him at it to earn more and more money. It's a skinner box, really, nothing more.

There was even a paper published by some geek over at Microsoft, which explained in detail what MMOs do and to which end. But I can't find it right now.

So by now I put playing MMOs on the same shelf as consuming heroine or cocaine. There are simply no exceptions.(well there is guild wars... that's more like mary jane)

But I've mainly quit playing MMOs because they are all equally BORING.
    I don't know, it may be fun for kids to have to do some daily chores and be rewarded with a flashy lvl up, but as an adult I don't see much appeal in working a second job for which I have to pay. If you're strong in mind you can get all enjoyment out of any MMO during the free trial, then just make sure you don't get hooked and get away with the free drug sample your hustler tossed you.

Sure there are exceptions like Guild Wars where you can run on a free IV after paying once, and there are games detached from the classic MMO style like League of Legends... which is more of a tactical/strategical "MMO". But it isn't really an MMO because there are never more than a handful of people playing one instance. It's more of a game with a massive lobby.

I've played Mabinogi NA and EU for a very long time and just because of it's cute Anime-style visuals and the non-standard combat system. It also had a nice story once and all chicks have huge boobs there.
    Eventually I OD'ed on that... woke up in a hospital, went into rehab and never played it again.

And while I look back at the past with a deep disgust, I'm happy that I've been clean for quite some time now. I don't mind if people play MMOs, quite the opposite, I'm happy if they can enjoy it where I, cannot.
    And me being a misanthropic person, I'm also quite happy if those things ruin their lives. xD

So yea, if you really, really LOVE MMORPGs, then you don't play them.
    You marvel at them from afar, like at a beautiful girl out of your reach, and you witness how they draw thousands of poor, helpless souls into their endless cycle of intoxicating lvl-ups. Then you reflect upon your life, smile, give her another look and wander off into the sunset.

Or you know, something among those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanielxWv4 View Post
    Do you guys feel the same way or just think there a waste of time because you could be spawn camping someone on COD?? ( lol )
    Almost but not quite; I feel it's just a waste of time because you could be outside trying to have sex with girls.

"Those creatures are like Butterflies. Except that they don't fly, and they're really ugly. And they have a lettuce stuck right in their throats. Actually, they're nothing like Butterflies. But they make cocoons... like Butterflies."

(Please stop using the word "gay" as reffering to things you dislike, please, it's kind of offensive to select individuals.)

Sorry just had to mention it.

I do enjoy MMORPGs very much, and for over 10 years I practically didn't play any other games but MMORPGs (MxO, EQ2, WoW). WoW I played for 6 years, and I'm going back in a few weeks!

I agree with you that Category games(single player games etc.) Are too simplistic, and always have an 'end level' or 'end period' where you have access to the best of the best equipment wise, and all of the enemies are extremely powerful and challenging, and you finally kill the end guy who you really havn't had a hate relationship to at all, you just kill him cause you've been told to do so.

In MMORPGs, WoW especially, I feel a direct connection with the bad guys, due to the fantastic lore and storyline that follows in the backdraft of MMOs. For example in WoW, the bad guys, I mean the REAL nasties(tons of little guys too), were C'thun, Kil'jaeden, Sargeras, Lich King, Deathwing, Kael'thas, Illidan Stormrage. And every single one I WANTED to kill, VERY badly, because of the horrible attrocities that they had committed, and I actually felt a personal hatred towards them, and when I stood over their broken bodies with all of my friends, I felt a sense of achievement. Such a powerful and chaoticly evil creature had been slain by the power of me and my friends. How does that not elevate your spirits?

In single player? I don't get that feeling. I have an objective, and I complete it, end of discussion. Nothing personal, it's just business...Sounds almost assassin like doesn't it? Well, that's the feeling I get from single players.

A few single player games DID manage to engage me alittle more, such as Elder Scrolls, it really dragged me in! Another one is the Total War franchise, you really feel like a king or emperor in control of an entire nation!

Either way, yes, in my opinion, MMORPGs are the pinnacle of all video games, and is what I think ALL games will be like in the future. I don't think single player games will exist in the future, I think that ALL games will become a huge virtual world where you can actually live, breathe, taste, and smell inside of this world, and the genre? Well that depends on the game, wether it be a shooter or horror or RPG or strategy.

In my opinion, MMORPGs are the kings of the video game world.
    ##WARNING! [-SAPH-]_virus.exe has been detected in your thread!##
    ##Initiating Saph_Removal_Tool.exe program module A...##
    ##Saph_Removal_Tool.exe program has failed##
    ##Initiating EMERGENCY_BACKUP_SAPH_REMOVAL##

@ Havoc, its just my oppinion and dont do something big about it, I wouldnt say that EVE is a mainstream game. first of all it doesnt apell to everyone, it is a very hard game that takes very long time to accually do something. Its one of the most hardcore MMOs I know.

a single player game that is a little like it is X3 the reunion.
    Its probably one of the best space games I have played.

Yea well I might have been aiming a little too high when I said EVE is mainstream... but by now its certainly more mainstream than it used to be ^^"

And X3 should be basically its own genre.

Still not saying that I don't like MMOs, just saying that they're bad for you. That's a fact in 90% of the cases. And
    @Saph unfortunately you're kind of right about MMOs being the Kings of the video game world... but less in the sense of monarchy and more like... tyrants.
    Because lets face it, that's all that will prevail of the PC gaming world, MMORPGs.
    They're a steady influx of cash, they don't need to evolve, only expand, they're mostly immune to pirates. (except for the Private servers and such)

"Those creatures are like Butterflies. Except that they don't fly, and they're really ugly. And they have a lettuce stuck right in their throats. Actually, they're nothing like Butterflies. But they make cocoons... like Butterflies."

this ain't no gay topic. I don't judge. but yeah, I enjoy mmo's cause of leveling, including the quests & stuff like that. its a real time killer. when I need someplace to be at 9pm, I spend the time playing mmo's within that free time available. I enjoyed guild wars, but the thing I really dislike is that your friends stop playing all of a sudden, and when you decide to stop, they play it again.... thats the only dislike off of mmo's.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Yea well I might have been aiming a little too high when I said EVE is mainstream... but by now its certainly more mainstream than it used to be ^^"

And X3 should be basically its own genre.

Still not saying that I don't like MMOs, just saying that they're bad for you. That's a fact in 90% of the cases. And
    @Saph unfortunately you're kind of right about MMOs being the Kings of the video game world... but less in the sense of monarchy and more like... tyrants.
    Because lets face it, that's all that will prevail of the PC gaming world, MMORPGs.
    They're a steady influx of cash, they don't need to evolve, only expand, they're mostly immune to pirates. (except for the Private servers and such)
    Just adding, they are about the only games people will pay more than 40 euros to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenoi View Post
    this ain't no gay topic. I don't judge. but yeah, I enjoy mmo's cause of leveling, including the quests & stuff like that. its a real time killer. when I need someplace to be at 9pm, I spend the time playing mmo's within that free time available. I enjoyed guild wars, but the thing I really dislike is that your friends stop playing all of a sudden, and when you decide to stop, they play it again.... thats the only dislike off of mmo's.
    Stop saying gay <.<
    ##WARNING! [-SAPH-]_virus.exe has been detected in your thread!##
    ##Initiating Saph_Removal_Tool.exe program module A...##
    ##Saph_Removal_Tool.exe program has failed##
    ##Initiating EMERGENCY_BACKUP_SAPH_REMOVAL##

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Stop saying gay <.<
    I only said it once, you said it too. haha

Thread Information