Exclamation Desperately needing help combating packet loss :(

Once again, I am experiencing problems with my network, yippee.

I am with Virgin Media, and have a 50Mb broadband connection - my connection is fluctuating.

Videos take longer to buffer, browsing is interrupted every now and then, League of Legends keeps losing connection to the PvP.net server, general multiplayer pings jitter... I am losing my mind!

I have called the help line about five times this past week, and it's like talking to a robotic parrot, receiving the same hollow advice over and over again, with them taking no real interest in my issue. They conduct tests, but on four out of the five calls they have told me that my connection looks fine, but I obviously called them when my connection was in a temporary state of stability. On one of the calls, the guy recognised that I had a high amount of packet loss, and recommended me to connect my ethernet cable straight into the modem to see if I still experience the problems... and I do! Also, that advice was given to me on Saturday, and it still isn't fixed.

I have tried every which way to connect my PC to the internet to test the connection, both through wireless and wired methods, but the same thing is still happening.

Because Virgin Media are ****ing **** at helping me, I have turned to you guys and girls once again, as I know there are some network people on here. Judging by my ISP not recognising any problems for the most part, is it likely to be a problem with my modem? The power levels on the modem is fine, but there may be something else wrong with it. If so, I can call them up today and ask them to send me one out free of charge.

Thanks!

Sounds like my issue from February - my problem lasted the whole month and it ended up being one of the ISP server's in my area. But I figured that out 3 days after it started lagging through tracert, and just like you, it was like talking to...not a parrot, but just plain old human idiots.

You could try replacing the modem. I've had a similar issue a while back and that fixed it. But my February situation, I changed my modem twice but no luck. Not much you can do if it's the ISP.

So yeah...I still don't know if you ran a tracert from like 2 threads ago lol.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Quote Originally Posted by LiNuX View Post
    Sounds like my issue from February - my problem lasted the whole month and it ended up being one of the ISP server's in my area. But I figured that out 3 days after it started lagging through tracert, and just like you, it was like talking to...not a parrot, but just plain old human idiots.

You could try replacing the modem. I've had a similar issue a while back and that fixed it. But my February situation, I changed my modem twice but no luck. Not much you can do if it's the ISP.

So yeah...I still don't know if you ran a tracert from like 2 threads ago lol.
    Sorry I forgot to tell you, I ran a tracert but everything was normal... which confused me further.

Did you have to notify someone of the local server problem back in Feb, or did it fix itself?

Exentenzed is offline Professional (Battlefield) Helicopter Pilot.

I dont realy know to much about this because i havent had the problem myself. :P

But i searched around and found this

Solving Packet Loss

Also found this on the wiki, which gives you a couple of things to rule out via trial and error.

Packet loss can be caused by a number of factors including signal degradation over the network medium due to multi-path fading, packet drop because of channel congestion [1][2], corrupted packets rejected in-transit, faulty networking hardware, faulty network drivers or normal routing routines (such as DSR in ad-hoc networks [3]).
    In addition to this, packet loss probability is also affected by signal-to-noise ratio and distance between the transmitter and receiver.

Sig. by Psychotray

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhmmz View Post
    Sorry I forgot to tell you, I ran a tracert but everything was normal... which confused me further.

Did you have to notify someone of the local server problem back in Feb, or did it fix itself?
    Does it lag all the time? If it doesn't, run it when it lags. Otherwise your ISP should be able to trace down where the packet loss is coming from.

As for my issue, there was no one I could really contact besides my ISP over and over. At my last attempt before I downgraded to DSL (with 3x less speed), I finally spoke to a rep who understood what I was talking about and knew what the hell a tracert was. I gave him the IP of the laggy router/server in their network and he sent a technician there to fix it. But still took a whole month.

The other thing I can suggest is to turn off your modem/router for 30 mins or so, unplug it and all. It normally won't make a difference but it won't hurt either if you leave it off while you take a nap or something. I have had this help sometimes, but it wasn't because of extreme lag, more like the modem was overloaded with updates and wasn't able to process them properly.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Quote Originally Posted by Exentenzed View Post
    I dont realy know to much about this because i havent had the problem myself. :P

But i searched around and found this

Solving Packet Loss

Also found this on the wiki, which gives you a couple of things to rule out via trial and error.

Packet loss can be caused by a number of factors including signal degradation over the network medium due to multi-path fading, packet drop because of channel congestion [1][2], corrupted packets rejected in-transit, faulty networking hardware, faulty network drivers or normal routing routines (such as DSR in ad-hoc networks [3]).
    In addition to this, packet loss probability is also affected by signal-to-noise ratio and distance between the transmitter and receiver.
    Thanks for your help mate, but I'm already aware of all this, and so far nothing in my further research has helped

I hate my ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by LiNuX View Post
    Does it lag all the time? If it doesn't, run it when it lags. Otherwise your ISP should be able to trace down where the packet loss is coming from.

As for my issue, there was no one I could really contact besides my ISP over and over. At my last attempt before I downgraded to DSL (with 3x less speed), I finally spoke to a rep who understood what I was talking about and knew what the hell a tracert was. I gave him the IP of the laggy router/server in their network and he sent a technician there to fix it. But still took a whole month.

The other thing I can suggest is to turn off your modem/router for 30 mins or so, unplug it and all. It normally won't make a difference but it won't hurt either if you leave it off while you take a nap or something. I have had this help sometimes, but it wasn't because of extreme lag, more like the modem was overloaded with updates and wasn't able to process them properly.
    Nope, it doesn't lag all of the time, which is the thing that really bugs me! I would actually have it lag all of the time, as it would be much easier to fix! It literally cuts out for a few seconds, without noting me, which then has a big effect on things I am connected to, such as League of Legends (timing out every other minute if I'm not in a game). If my network is constantly active, then it doesn't cut out, but I do suffer a big dip in performance every now and then, in an irregular fashion.

See, every single person I have spoke to, bar one, has been Indian, and they have no clue what they're talking about, and I can't understand a damn thing that they're saying... which kind of makes the whole customer service thing redundant.

I will have a go at putting my hardware to sleep, and see what happens
    What I may do, is leave it switched off over night, like I used to do a few years ago when I had different hardware.

Thanks

Thread Information