Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Briging the generation gap.

Being either really young and not being able to see what us older gamers got to play or being really old and not really fitting in to the new generation of games.. how does one break that generation gap?

I, for one, and doing my part in having a weekly (every Thursday) gaming session with a gentlemen that was well into his teens by 1971. Our game of choice is to play Risk on the PS1 and devising many different strategies. But lately, with downloadable games becoming widely available, I've been teaching him to play multiplayer Risk with other gamers around the world. He always tells me his "back in the day" stories and they are so fun to listen to and even some of them involve REALLY old game systems. Sometimes I let him see the new-gen games like Demons Souls or Dragon Age and offer to let him take a whack at it. Not bad for an old-timer I'd say. I think he really doesn't have much fun these days and this really keeps him in good spirits and this really makes me feel like I'm making a difference in his life for the better through videogames and fresh companionship.

So guys and gals, I'd like to hear your stories on how you've bridged the generation gap, no matter how small even if your the old gamer that's showing the new age how to play. It's always a blessing to see gaps being broken and everyone can appreciate videogames as entertainment/art and not being viewed negatively.

Xbox Live: event decay

Playstation Network: mutilations
    What is reality compared to me?

I made my mom play Rockband with me, and often when I was younger played Tetris and Mario Bros. for the NES with her.

I also made my grandma play CoD: World at War, and Guitar Hero 3 with me. In return, we played solitaire. With real cards. On the table. It was an enjoyable afternoon.

that sounds like a great night! i dont really know anyone whos drasticly older then myself who is a gamer if anything i think im that bridge for others, your just as likly to see me playing a snes or sega saturn if you walk into my room as you are to see me playing on the ps3 which often leaves my nease and nephues a little confused as to what it is, of course when i tell them most these games where made before you where even born im often greeted with widen eyes and sly smile "your so old uncle" oh lord at 24 im the old one? shesh when did that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberedEyes View Post
    of course when i tell them most these games where made before you where even born im often greeted with widen eyes and sly smile "your so old uncle" oh lord at 24 im the old one? shesh when did that happen.
    I get this from my younger cousins from just whipping out the N64 or the gameboy advance, lol. It's hilarious. Anything older than the Gamecube is just foreign to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ROFLBRYCE View Post
    I get this from my younger cousins from just whipping out the N64 or the gameboy advance, lol. It's hilarious. Anything older than the Gamecube is just foreign to them.
    My little cousin looked at my Atari and said "How does it play games? It's not shiny and there's no lights on it.." Me and some of the adults died laughing.

Xbox Live: event decay

Playstation Network: mutilations
    What is reality compared to me?

I played with my parents all the time when I lived closer. Now occasionally they'll get online and play with me..

I have never played with my parents, mum is like massivly against that I play and dad is to untechnical. My older brother play but my sister doesnt, even if she liked to play empire earth back at the days.

I have let a younger cousin to play a few games, he got a ps2 but only with sports games, he wanted to try a fps at my computer. I helped him but he didnt make it, and it happend the same when he tried a fps on the ps2.

I wonder how hard is it to play with keyboard and mouse if you are not used or havnt played before? One thing I notice is that they use both hands on the WASD controlles and have to stop to turn around.

I made my dad play Gran Turismo with me, in which I won....then we played checkers and he cleaned me out....

Funny as it is my gpa is the one that got me hooked on gaming. He worked for IBM as a programmer for a schmillion years so he'd always get computer games for me and he would also play Atari with me for as far back as I can remember Now I pass the gaming addiction on to my little cousin who is 7. Let him make a character on WoW and he loved it. We also play SW Lightsaber Duels on my Wii xD And my nephew who just turned 3- got him playing Zelda on my DS. Okay, I guess at 3 it's not really 'playing'- but he loves to either just watch me or take over himself and attempt to play. Either way its adorable... I thinks it's officially made me the 'cool' aunt :P

I taught my 5 yr old cousin how to play Super Mario Bros. for nes it warmed my heart to see the next generation playing games that are from a generation that even myself and to young to know

Thread Information