Default Police officer pepper-sprays seated, non-violent students at UC Davis

Police officer pepper-sprays seated, non-violent students at UC Davis - Boing Boing

Video 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=WmJmmnMkuEM

Video 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=WmJmmnMkuEM

At the University of California at Davis this afternoon, police tore down down the tents of students inspired by the Occupy Wall Street movement, and arrested those who stood in their way. Others peacefully demanded that police release the arrested.

In the video above, you see a police officer [Update: UC Davis Police Lt. John Pike] walk down a line of those young people seated quietly on the ground in an act of nonviolent civil disobedience, and spray them all with pepper spray at very close range. He is clearing a path for fellow officers to walk through and arrest more students, but it's as if he's dousing a row of bugs with insecticide.

Wayne Tilcock of the Davis-Enterprise newspaper has a gallery of photographs from the incident, including the image thumbnailed above (larger size at davisenterprise.com). Ten people in this scene were arrested, nine of whom were current UC Davis students. At least one woman is reported to have been taken away in an ambulance with chemical burns.

This 8-minute video was uploaded just a few hours ago, and has already become something of an iconic, viral emblem accross the web. We're flooded with eyewitness footage from OWS protests right now, but this one certainly feels like an important one, in part because of what the crowd does after the kids are pepper-sprayed. Watch the whole thing.
    Your thoughts?

The police did a great job of alienating themselves even more now.

Also feel bad for the police because so many people are against them and most of them are just following orders or trying to keep the peace. But I still don't agree with how that officer pepper sprayed the students like they were bugs on a wall. If they were coming at him, then I'd understand.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

His whole demeanor is just disgusting; The way he flaunts the bottle and struts up like he's some kind of badass.

But as Linux said, these small groups of assholes aren't representative of police as a whole and it sucks that the good ones get overshadowed by this bull****.

Sig by TheMangler

That's gross.

Just gross.

Sure many officers are just doing what they're told.. so did a lot of people who have done very bad things. Doesn't make them any less responsible. You have a head and a heart, use em.

(adding that of course this doesn't go for all or even most cops.)

There's this too, from a faculty member.
    Open Letter to Chancellor Linda P.B. Katehi | UCDavis Bicycle Barricade
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

This whole entire thing has become really popular, I know the officers phone # and address.
    The world isn't safe for him right now.

Haha yeah, people don't realize how quick information can become public on the internet.
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

Thread Information