Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Elder Scrolls - What happened to my freedom?

Hey guys, don't know if I'm the only ones who has been annoyed by this, but I played Morrowind on my old Xbox back in the days, and I was so addicted to constantly improving my character and deciding other peoples destiny that I have easiely logged in over 200 hours of gameplay. And I was so obsessed about getting strong enough to be able to take on Vivec hand to hand and then kill him. I've probably played almost as much Oblivion and are well on the way in Skyrim as well. lol

But the freedom in Oblivion and Skyrim has decreased so much from Morrowind. I mean the immortal key character thing is one thing that annoys the hell out of me, but that they decided to downgrade enchantments and spellmaking the way they did is just mindbaffling to me.

In Morrowind, you could (if you had enough money) make a fire ball that killed almost everyone in a city if you used it! And you could kill anyone you didn't like, and if they were a part of a quest, then too bad, you had to live with the consequences. (probably why I never got around to completing the main quest with one of my characters LOL)

Am I the only one who thinks this way?

Oh, and where the hell is my levitation and jump spell?
    Neither enemy, nor friend. I am back from a world where such words are meaningless.

This guy has written a very nice article/blog about the topic.

Destructoid - bustaballs's Community Blog

Hoping to get some replies from you guys.
    Neither enemy, nor friend. I am back from a world where such words are meaningless.

I loved Morrowind and also enjoyed Oblivion. I think I wil still enjoy Skyrim(havnt played it) but I also think it has been to simple. That the lands have been smaller is only to blame on consoles, they cant have enourmous lands that are as detailed as Skyrim but ten times bigger. Also I think that most games today are so kind, I want them to be more like witcher 2(blood sex and violence as it should be, its not a kind world we are playing in, its war and the world is full of monsters AND its in the middle ages(or a fantasy version of it))

Hm... This is interesting. I think they're trying to make it so that you don't "break" the game, but... I'm sure that people will make mods for skyrim so you can make those enchantments/spells...

Well I'm playing Skyrim on my Xbox, so I won't have that luxury. hehe Don't get me wrong, I've had Skyrim for 3 weeks now, and I've played it like crazy. I think I'm level 43 or something now. It's a very good game, but it just don't have alot of the things that appealed so much to me in Morrowind. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of DLC is coming for game.

I think you're right about the "not being able to ruin your main quest" thing, and I'm sure it's an attempt to make the game more streamlined and easy on the player. But you just don't feel in control of your own epic rpg when you can't even kill a random farmer because he has to say something important to say about the main quest later in the game.

I thought morrowind was the best game. Haven't played skyrim yet and I'm still hoping to. Oblivion was fun and I loved the graphics but I felt I had to stay on the main story path. In morrowind I could play for days and not do the main quest. Morrowind was fun and it definitely was more of an RPG than oblivion. Also who here has played a pen and paper RPG?

Quote Originally Posted by CraeSC111 View Post
    I thought morrowind was the best game. Haven't played skyrim yet and I'm still hoping to. Oblivion was fun and I loved the graphics but I felt I had to stay on the main story path. In morrowind I could play for days and not do the main quest. Morrowind was fun and it definitely was more of an RPG than oblivion. Also who here has played a pen and paper RPG?
    I also think that Morrowind is the best game in the ES series.

I used to play alot of P&P when I was a little kid

I don't like Morrowind because of it's Gameplay, I'm someone who want to really hit someone if I cast a spell or punch him straight in his face. Other than that I didn't liked the story that much either.

I prefer Oblivion / Skyrim.

Don't understand that wrong: I love P&P RPGs like Drakensang but I just don't like Morrowind.

*gasps* Morrowind was amazing! I miss my full armor set and ridiculous spells.

Quote Originally Posted by CraeSC111 View Post
    *gasps* Morrowind was amazing! I miss my full armor set and ridiculous spells.
    Heard you the first time...

I never played Morrowind, but I thought oblivion was fun. I use to play it all the time until I eventually got bored of it. Skyrim was just an improvement of that game, huge improvement. Not playing morrowind, I guess I don't mind them changing the game, sounds like they took the OP spells out to me. Also, I don't know why you'd want to kill a quest giver, I'd be pissed if I played a game and killed one of the main quest givers for the main story. I'd have to start all the way over, I'd never want to play a game like that.

Thread Information