Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default No hugs allowed at several schools

Schools jumping on the hug ban-wagon
    Most forms of physical contact now barred from nation’s halls of learning

NBC News video
    No-hugging rule implemented at schools
    Oct. 2: Some institutions are not allowing students to show each other affection. Are they going too far? NBC’s Janet Shamlian reports.

Cupcakes are out, and in an increasing number of schools, so are carbonated soft drinks. And over the past year, some schools even started banning tag on the playground.

Just when you think there’s nothing that gives you warm and fuzzy memories about your own childhood left to ban, schools are coming up with a new one.

Hugs.

“Would you want your children to be hugging or kissing at school without your knowledge?” asks David Hadley, the principal of Fossil Hills Middle School in the north Texas town of Keller. “That’s the issue.”

Hadley’s school is one of a growing number that has banned not just hugging but all other PDAs — Public Displays of Affection — including holding hands.

One student at the school, eighth-grader Ashley Highberger, told NBC News that after she was reprimanded for holding hands with a fellow student, she started a petition to overturn the no-PDA policy.

She’s got 300 signatures, she said, but the policy remains.

It’s not just Texas. At the Percy Julian Middle School in Oak Park, Ill., hugging hasn’t been banned outright, but teachers and administrators have banned what they call “extreme hugging” in hallways.

Dr. Victoria Sharts, the school’s principal, says that’s when groups of students — usually girls — elaborately exchange hugs every time they see each other during breaks between classes. The practice clogs hallways and can make kids late for class, she said.

“They can hug their friends as long as it’s not in the hallways,” she told NBC. “We know there are times when it’s necessary, and we want to support one another.”

But with sexual harassment a hot-button issue, some districts ban all physical contact, hugs included.

In Fairfax County, Va., Kilmer Middle School has banned not just hugging, but all physical contact — including high fives.

One student who put his arm around his girlfriend’s shoulder was issued a warning and threatened with detention if it happened again.

At Kilmer, administrators said the ban was enacted because while most touching may be welcome, some touching isn’t.

“You get into shades of gray,” Kilmer Principal Deborah Hernandez told the Associated Press earlier this year. “The kids say, ‘If he can high-five, then I can do this.’” It’s not just in America, either. Last year, a school for children 11-18 in Great Britain told students to stop hugging so much.

“Hugging was happening extensively and becoming the norm. We were worried it might become inappropriate. So we nipped it in the bud,” headmaster Steven Kenning told “The Times” [of London].

As with everything related to school, some parents like it and some don’t.

“It’s a highly hormonal age, so for me, I’d rather she didn’t go around hugging,” Antonia Fernandez, a parent, told NBC.

Another parent, Lawrin Riles, thought banning hugs was going too far.

“You're not going to have everybody late just because they took a minute to hug another kid for their birthday or because they won the game over the weekend,” Riles said.
    Link

Now that's just stupid
    Last edited by lonewolfxix; 10-04-2007 at 01:36 PM.

they do bring up some valid points, as i have been late several times when they're a hugfest going on, but banning hugs is going to far.

lol that was in the news last nite - no hugs or holding hands haha - thats just really stupid but very, very, very funny to me
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

WTF 0.o that is one of the stupidest things ever rofl. I guess they bring up some good points but.. school would be more boring :/

yay new signature and red this time lol

in an abstract demesion all my own, removed from the paradox of reality.

yeah id agree, they are definatly going to far by banning hugs? and PDA's?
    thats just down right ridiculas
    im just glad i dont live in the states, so thats probably not going to happen here..well actully i wodent doubt it haha
    eh, either way i think thats pretty stupid
    ...lock the door, and throw away the key, theres someone in my head, but its not me...

They do make good points, but they shouldn't ban hugs. Who would want to live in a world without hugs?! That's stupid.

Banning hugs is rather stupid, kids over 13 should be allowed to make simple choices like that themselves and z0mgh!!! late for class?! even if they're early the first 5minutes kids won't do anything worthwhile and on the lesson.
    They're not trying to ban hugs outright, just in school, which is still stupid. lol.. no high fives... one thing funny about that, if they got in a fight, the typical way for 2 men to say sorry is to say sorry and shake hands, or as congratulations or on their graduation shaking hands with the teacher, not allowed? sucks. Removing physical contact removes a whole level of communication.

Remember Battletoads and live in/near London?
    CHECK THIS OUT!

lol i heard about this on the news too, pretty stupid, what do i do then when im at school? WAVE??

well... u could do hugs and shake hands in thin air so ur not actually touching rofl

yay new signature and red this time lol

well, generally waving is most expected unless you stop lol.

Remember Battletoads and live in/near London?
    CHECK THIS OUT!

Thread Information