Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Occupy EA

Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/EA-...-PC-36690.html

I did, they're just checking to see if you purchases the games legally.
    In other words its almost like steam, shell we occupy it also?

I always think its stupid that everyone is tracking down on origin and at the same time praising steam, yes its stupid with two services but apart from issues thats been worked on is origin so bad everyone says it is?

There's a whole lot of random programs and websites that scan your computer. And a lot of those scans are actually malicious. Welcome to the internet. You're not as anonymous as you think you are

[/URL]

I did, they're just checking to see if you purchases the games legally.
    you no read so well....

"...the analysis found that Origin will scan your entire PC and collect certain kinds of data to send data back and forth to EA to check whether serial numbers and product keys match up, whether said keys are up-to-date or whether or not they are legit, as well as activity performed with other software -- apparently for marketing purposes."
    Last edited by bobjaret; 03-01-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjaret View Post
    you no read so well....

"...the analysis found that Origin will scan your entire PC and collect certain kinds of data to send data back and forth to EA to check whether serial numbers and product keys match up, whether said keys are up-to-date or whether or not they are legit, as well as activity performed with other software -- apparently for marketing purposes."
    It's still not person information, I honestly don't see the big deal. It's there way of taking piracy into their own hands without the help of SOPA or any other things. If people are not stealing any games or anything then I wouldn't worry about it. If they are, well that's the reason why SOPA came around in the first place.

I am sure that origin also checks for programs that could be used for cheating as well as scanning for your computers specs to see what kind of hardware is being used. Same as valve does with steam

It's still not person information, I honestly don't see the big deal. It's there way of taking piracy into their own hands without the help of SOPA or any other things. If people are not stealing any games or anything then I wouldn't worry about it. If they are, well that's the reason why SOPA came around in the first place.
    thats the thing, it is personal.

its always shocking to me how people are so willing to freely give up their rights. all i was trying to do is raise awareness, and asking for help in supporting those fighting for your right to privacy.

as far as steam goes, there hasnt been anything to suggest that they do anything other than check the version of the game you use, so that it can be updated.
    Last edited by bobjaret; 03-01-2012 at 07:42 PM.

thats the thing, it is personal.

its always shocking to me how people are so willing to freely give up their rights. all i was trying to do is raise awareness, and asking for help in supporting those fighting for your right to privacy.

as far as steam goes, there hasnt been anything to suggest that they do anything other than check the version of the game you use, so that it can be updated.
    It's personal information for the EA company to know if you have legitamte copies of their games? I would think that only the people that download things illegally are the only ones that are worried about this. They're only doing it to make our gaming experience better. This could help fix client errors that people may acquire in the future and as crae said, it could also stop cheating as well. Most importantly stop pirating, if companies come with their own fixes to stop praters then there will be no need for them to have a bill like SOPA. This is a good thing, like I said before, this could easily stop bills like SOPA. People should get over it and quit complaining that they won't be able to download games illegally anymore.

It's personal information for the EA company to know if you have legitamte copies of their games? I would think that only the people that download things illegally are the only ones that are worried about this. They're only doing it to make our gaming experience better. This could help fix client errors that people may acquire in the future and as crae said, it could also stop cheating as well. Most importantly stop pirating, if companies come with their own fixes to stop praters then there will be no need for them to have a bill like SOPA. This is a good thing, like I said before, this could easily stop bills like SOPA. People should get over it and quit complaining that they won't be able to download games illegally anymore.
    lol i don't think your listening. they aren't just looking at their games, and they aren't just checking if the copies of their games are legit. they are using the service to collect private data about the programs you use. i wouldn't have a problem with the collecting data if it were to track bugs and such, but thats not the only reason they do it. not to mention there isnt an opt out for that feature. besides where does it stop. before long any application you install will have tracking.

the argument that if you have nothing to hide then you shouldn't worry about it retarded. if you fallow that logic, then lets just let them install cameras in our house, or let the gov monitor every action we make. why even have privacy laws in the first place?

im for protecting a companies right to not have their software pirated, but not at the expense of the individuals rights. individual rights should always come first.

lol i don't think your listening. they aren't just looking at their games, and they aren't just checking if the copies of their games are legit. they are using the service to collect private data about the programs you use. i wouldn't have a problem with the collecting data if it were to track bugs and such, but thats not the only reason they do it. not to mention there isnt an opt out for that feature. besides where does it stop. before long any application you install will have tracking.

the argument that if you have nothing to hide then you shouldn't worry about it retarded. if you fallow that logic, then lets just let them install cameras in our house, or let the gov monitor every action we make. why even have privacy laws in the first place?

im for protecting a companies right to not have their software pirated, but not at the expense of the individuals rights. individual rights should always come first.
    I really don't feel like arguing, you claim that it steals private information from software, yet you probably don't have a clue what software it is or how it even works. Doing a little bit of research on this topic out of boredm I foudnd this:
    Yay. Conspiracies. So let's see what Origin really does, shall we?

If you hook process monitor onto Origin you will not see Origin scanning anything, independently of how long you use it. So what triggered the OP's screenshot?

Origin on installation will try to find games installed on your harddrive and automatically register them within Origin. It does that in a couple of different ways:

It reads the windows games registry
    It looks for games in Program Files
    It looks for games in ProgramData (where, for unknown reason the OP's SMS and tax software are storing the data instead of the user profile where that data should go!)
    it reads the xfire config if it finds one for games

If you look at the screenshot closely you will see that it does not actually read any files. Instead it looks for their existence and recursively walks the directory. It does not read any of your files, at least not judging from this screenshot or anything I have found on my machine.

Lastly if you monitor the network traffic that Origin causes you will see that it does not transmit anything of value to EA. So far I have not seen anything bug login credentials being submitted.

But it's always so much more fun to assume that software is inherently evil. You can hook a syscall monitor on any application and you will see that it operates all over the drive. That's not something unique to Origin. Steam will do the same if you click the "add non steam game" button.

//EDIT: something I forgot: I think people should not run any sysinternals tools without a basic understanding of what they do or at least not jump to conclusions.
    Origin (EA) looks to be scanning your privacy...

Screen shots were also posted. This is the first physical evidence I found about any of it and by the looks of it and from this guys findings it has become clear to me that they only look for the files existence and not the actually taking the information of the file as stated above. This is just one of those conspiracy theories, the same things were stated about steam when it first came out. People later found out that they were blowing everything out of proportion.

And settings cameras up in your house is COMPLETELY different then what origin is doing. But think what you want, I made plenty of valid points that haven't been disproved. Happy interneting

sorry but im going to spam so i can

Thread Information