Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game Programmer

Default Game Programmer

Hey all, I just came across your community on a post about strategy games (my favorite, especially turn-based). I think Heroes of Might and Magic III is still my favorite game of all time. Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, and Star Craft all hold special places in my heart. I am also a big RPG fan, anything where you can just get immersed in a good story. As cliche as it is, I loved Final Fantasy VII, and I still gush over it. My wife never played it, so there are time when I launch into a 15 minute tirade about how awesome it was. She puts up with it.

By training, I am a computational scientist, but three years ago I started learning game programming on the side. In February my wife, some friends, and I officially started up an indie game company called Ignis Studios. We've been working on the concept for our first title (a community driven monster catching strategy RPG) for a couple years, but we just launched on Kickstarter to try to raise funds to hire artists for backgrounds and animations. If you are interested, it is called Deozoa: Legends of Eden, and you can find it on Kickstarter. I am not going to link here because I don't want to spam.

Anyway, I'm excited to be here, it looks like you have some cool strategy and RPG subforums. Pleased to make your acquaintance.

Hey welcome to the forum! Nice to see someone who actually makes games on here. I am sure you will be able to find some support from the GFX crew and I hope that you will find some of the resources on here needed to create your game so we can take advantage of your skillset at a later date
    Anyway. Read the rules, have fun and always floss between meals

It's good to be hear. Now that you bring it up, I actually have a couple of questions. What exactly does the Graphics Team do here? I saw mention of them, but I wasn't exactly sure what they do.

Also, is this literally all the rules consist of:

Although the administrators and moderators of Gamers Forum will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this site, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Gamers Forum, nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of Gamers Forum reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any content item for any reason.

The GFX team hasn't really been terribly active recently, but they usually participate in the sig of the week contests and I am sure we have some good artists. I myself am not a good artist.
    And the rules can be found under the FAQ section

Awesome, thanks. Just read them. And if I wanted to post about the strategy RPG that we are making, that should go under Websites & Advertising rather than under Strategy or Role Playing Games, correct? I don't want to spam anyone.

Thanks!

Well I would say it really depends on the content of your post. If you are trying to get people to test the game, or are looking to employ some help I would say it belongs in the advertising section. If you are writing a summary of the game and its features or if you are looking for ideas for the game (I feel kinda iffy about this, but we aren't the most strict forum and you can blame me if the forum gods try to eat you) then it would probably go in the RPG section.

Haha. It would probably be a little of both. We are kind of going with a community driven development model, which means that we are going to be giving fans input into designing monsters, coming up with stats, backstory, description, etc. So I would be introducing that option and see if anyone wants to be a part of that. But I also would need to describe the current vision for the game. And of course I would need to link to Kickstarter, because the success of that kind of dictates whether this happens in the first place. So the mods might not like that going under the RPG section. Maybe I will find a mod and PM them to see what is best... I guess I am a little reluctant to post in Websites & Advertising because I wanted to reach people who are fans of the genre we are working on, and that kind of seems to hide it away...

Actually I would say that most, if not all, of the established members on the forum are fairly good at finding new threads. There's an app for that (so to speak). Besides I'm sure we could use a new thread with which we may dump our endless ideas into. And I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to have a hand in game development.

Sweet. I'll write something.

Lead Programmer for Ignis Studios

Good luck with your project buddy. I once had the idea of starting a gaming project too, but I had to postpone it due to financial problems. I still want to start it up someday.

Just out of curiosity, what do you program in? I know c#, asp.net, HTML, CSS, and SQL.
    My blog: Diablo 3

Thread Information