Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Also something else I noticed. People spamming to get to 10 posts or dumnshart new members tend to migrate to the same couple threads for some reason lol

Quote Originally Posted by thedeparted View Post
    Also something else I noticed. People spamming to get to 10 posts or dumnshart new members tend to migrate to the same couple threads for some reason lol
    lol, the spammers and noobs seems to love my review thread, pretty much the only comments on that thread except my own are from spammers.

I still have to discuss a lot of the things in this thread with the mods but for now what I've done is:

1. Increase the post count that or new spam monitor scans to 25 (it will scan the first 25 posts for anything fishy as well as check the user's IP, username, and email address against two large spam databases), if anything is found, the user's posts are moderated and eventually banned and reported to the spam databases.

2. If somehow the user gets past the first block above and does not seem fishy at all, the mod will block any posts with URLs (for the first 25 posts and 24 hours only for now)

3. I found a list of specific keywords spammers tend to use/advertise and have blocked those, posts with those keywords will be moderated.

I am trying to combat the spam issue for now, as promised before, I will get to all of your points but with my schedule, it will take longer than it would have a few years ago. My plan is to address the whole necro bumping issue and will post on it later.

Thanks for your patience everyone!
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

I'm not sure if this is what you meant by the posts being moderated, but can you set it so that new members first 10 or so posts have to be approved? I set my facebook so I have to approve tags in case somebody tags me in something really stupid. The same thing could apply here
    Last edited by EpsilonX; 02-20-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EpsilonX View Post
    I'm not sure if this is what you meant by the posts being moderated, but can you set it so that new members first 10 or so posts have to be approved? I set my facebook so I have to approve tags in case somebody tags me in something really stupid
    That's a really good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizel View Post
    That's a really good idea.
    the only problems I could think of if something like this were to be implemented are
    1. No mods online at the time, so the new members will see their posts not showing up and be discouraged
    2. Somebody could post something legitimate in a topic, and before it is posted, other people post stuff, so when the post is approved, it will have thrown off the discussion a bit.

Well, my first concern is that there really aren't any active mods (other than Jaykub I think) at this time. So they may go days without being looked at. But I don't think they'd get discouraged if they knew before posting that that was the rule. I've actually been in forums where that was implemented. But I believe it was only for the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizel View Post
    Well, my first concern is that there really aren't any active mods (other than Jaykub I think) at this time. So they may go days without being looked at. But I don't think they'd get discouraged if they knew before posting that that was the rule. I've actually been in forums where that was implemented. But I believe it was only for the first post.
    Well, considering how many people complain about the fact that they can't edit their profile at first leads me to believe that nobody reads the rules and therefore would not know why their posts aren't' showing up.

By moderated I do mean that they have to be approved.

The system so far has done a pretty good job at determining spam, although it did let one pass earlier today but yesterday I came home and found 3 moderated messages which was clearly spam, so I deleted and banned the users.

For now, I will let the system do its thing since it's going well. And will see what happens.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Thread Information