Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Petition to raise posts to make a thread

As you know Linux and those that have been for ages, I have been one the longest tenured members. I have taken breaks of length but been here off and on for nearly all the sites existence. In my time, time and time again. People come in spam shart up 10 topics just to create a sharty topic. I would like to suggest we raise to posts to make a thread to at least 50. This might suck for legit people but it will deter people from sharting up threads. No one is going to stick around for a day posting 50 times to make a thread, and thats what these people do. Spam 10 topics with terrible posts, make their thread then leave. This is volume 1 of my site complaints, the next chapters will be published once my rage bar overflows

Do not underestimate the power of spammers even though I agree that something needs to be done, maybe include that you need to be a member for over 24 hours before you can start a thread.

I personally believe it will be a deterrent. Yes it would help moderate spam but moderators that are on frequently would also do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by foof View Post
    I personally believe it will be a deterrent. Yes it would help moderate spam but moderators that are on frequently would also do the job.
    Yeah but the thing is, you can't tell who is spamming to get 10 post to make a thread and who is legit posting. I mean you can have an idea from the quality of their post, but it's not really bannable because you can't be sure. So no matter how many mmods we have, not much we can really do.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
    Yeah but the thing is, you can't tell who is spamming to get 10 post to make a thread and who is legit posting. I mean you can have an idea from the quality of their post, but it's not really bannable because you can't be sure. So no matter how many mods we have, not much we can really do.
    Whenever I've seen good mods on in the past, they've done their job and prevented people from spamming or getting to ten posts because it was obvious that they were just going to post links / whatever else.

I'm just saying I think there are more reasonable ways to deal with this problem. 50 posts is a bit much.

Is it? Neogaf as I use a barometer for a lot of things because of its forum success. Has a 90 day wait and 300 post wait and is a huge forum. Making people wait a little bit isnt a bad thing. If not 50, it needs to be something like 25 and 7 days or something. 10 posts is just too little and there will never be enough mods to be on at all times, that guy that post sharted posted at 2 am est. No one is up at that times really.

I agree that 50 posts is a bit much. And as Paec said, you can't underestimate spammers, if they are determined, they will make 50 quick posts and spam. Like the last guy's thread that I deleted, he joined and made his first post in May 2012.

And compared to the past, we don't have many spammers anymore, there is always a surge around the holidays and that surge ended. So I would rather have us deal with the occasional spammer than lose a few legit members who came just to be a part of the forum.

edit: just saw your last reply, Neogaf is a much bigger forum than us with a lot more activity so they can lose even a couple hundred legit members that way. We're not very active here and losing 2-3 legit members is a lot for us.

I will consider increasing the min post count to 20 and a 48 hour waiting period.
    Last edited by LiNuX; 02-09-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

We to raise the 10 post minimum from 10 to 50 before you can post a link.
    Last edited by Jaykub; 02-09-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Ok time to publish all my thoughts, if it gets me banned or infracted so be it at least I'll know im going out clearing the air.
    Linux you have to wake up and run this forum properly. Its nearly a decade old and basically square 1 each year. You're doing nothing productive to get this ship steered in the right direction. This forum is never going to become big time because of many issues. I've always wanted this to be my main forum but never will probably because of the its direction. We need to sit down and pound out details and clear direction plan on what this sites visions are and what will it become in the future and where it'll be at year 10. If you're happy with have 12 members or less post a day and less than 100 posts real a day. Then just tell me, I'll just quit for good instead of trying to build something here.

1) Issue 1, This forum has too many sub forums. I dont know why you decided to have it so expansive. We could merrge forums and make it look nice so easily. We have forums that topics on the first page go back years. Thats disgraceful. It just shows they are not needed.

Step 1; General Gaming and Consoles merged. Its redundant
    Step 2; Instead of having 6 sub forums for genres cut it down to something like Current/Nex Gen and Past Gens
    Step 3; Gamer Review section was always dumb waste of space, the reviewers hardly review, If they want to review let them post it in the desired sections
    Step 4; Forum Talk and Questions and Answers are also Redundant
    Step 5; All the General Computer Talk, Fun and Jokes,Serious News , Websites, Tutorials..all that Just merge with Post Anything.
    Step 6; Having all Entertainment in 1 zone, aka music, anime,cartoons, tv and movies.
    Step 7; Graphics is so 2006, I dont know why we even have a section for it anymore. If people want to continue let them make a topic in Post Anything.

Issue 2; Reverting back to the main topic. I strongly strongly urge you to raise this. Real people wont leave because they cant post a topic right away. Real people stay for the topics on hand and then as they go make topics themselves. If someone is in a rush to make a topic like last night where a gf was asking what would be a good gaming chair. We could have a topic for that.

Issue 3; We have to have a discussion on how to get real people. We have a prime name but We have less actives than we should. Have the 30k accounts on here if not more arent even real people. Thats sad 6 year or 7 whatever it is at this point having a prime domain and less than 20k usernames with real people attached and nearly none active active anymore. I feel whats partially to blame is the lack of current news posted and hype for new games. Most forums are hyping all kinds of games. This forum has never felt that way.

Not really an issue but I loved that you finally did something more about the spammers, Its crazy that we have had 30k accounts denied in a months time, Its never been this bad ever.

Pet Peave #1, Necro Bumping, I rage all the time about this. Why do we not have a strong policy in place. Especially when the spammers/noobs bump certain topics every 6 months or more. Close those up. Its aggravating looking at the new posts lists and the same old threads get bumped all the time for months with useless comments.

I know you'll probably ignore this, I even called in my head what you were going to reply to in this thread in teh first place. Its like you just dont care, or havent been apart of working forums so you're winging for nearly a decade. I know this is all passive aggressive, But come on Linux are you happy with the results here? Do you simply not have the time to maintain this forum, if so sell it for the better of the forum. I'll patiently wait for you to ignore all which I said which is good advice and shouldnt be taken lightly. Ideas can be reformed but thisis concrete stepping stones to the path of a better and more active forum. I want this forum to be active, I want to know my effot upcoming isnt going to lay to waste by old directions that are leading us nowhere.

Thread Information