Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

New members bump useless threads with useless comments. Like my example above. Just clutters the forum. Need new content not rehash of garbage old that plagued this site.

In cases like that.... if someone is spamming, then it's annoying. But if someone genuinely wants to make a real comment, it doesn't bother. It doesn't clutter any more though. I mean, you make a post in an old thread it comes up on recent threads same as if you were to make a whole new thread. I think it would be more annoying clutter to have the exact same thread 5 times.

Its not spam, its just pointless bump to bump a 2 year old dead topic like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
    I think it's fine if a thread is like 6 months old or longer, just open another thread and start a fresh discussion. If you're talking about when I mentioned we had a superman vs goku thread, it was already discussed and you even posted in it before if I remember right. I didn't have a problem with you opening another thread, but it seemed kinda pointless considering every already post there say in the matter, even your self. That's why no one ended up posting in your thread.

But yeah, I rather have a new thread opened than necro bumping.
    Well, there's that, but I wasn't thinking about that in particular...there have been a few other times.

Quote Originally Posted by thedeparted View Post
    Its not spam, its just pointless bump to bump a 2 year old dead topic like that.
    I've seen necro-bumped topics turn back into legitimate discussions. If somebody bumps it and nobody posts in it, it goes back into the grave. Just ignore it like you ignore other topics you don't want to post in. If people post in it, it turns into a useful topic again. I don't see a problem either way.
    Last edited by EpsilonX; 02-13-2013 at 10:28 PM.

I have been trying to stay out of what seems like the beginning of drama, but I decided I would say I agree with both Eps and Jak to a certain extent. I very much agree that some Necro bumps turn back into great conversations, but because this forum is so old there is many topics that are not Even useful anymore, so my proposal is a 1 year of being fully inactive (With the exception of useless posts) lock on threads.

Quote Originally Posted by egg-whites333 View Post
    I have been trying to stay out of what seems like the beginning of drama, but I decided I would say I agree with both Eps and Jak to a certain extent. I very much agree that some Necro bumps turn back into great conversations, but because this forum is so old there is many topics that are not Even useful anymore, so my proposal is a 1 year of being fully inactive (With the exception of useless posts) lock on threads.
    I think it should depend on the thread. If it's something random, like that one jak posted earlier, then lock em up. That thread is kind of useless in general. Also theres some other random stuff, like a lot of the jokes posted in the jokes section. But if it's like something called...the official final fantasy 13 discussion thread (just a name to use as an example, idk if that thread exists) there doesn't really seem to be any need to lock it. Or the favorite bands thread in the music area. I see that get revived all the time (idk if its over a year period or anything though) but when it gets revived, it always stays relevant.
    Last edited by EpsilonX; 02-14-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Well yeah. It'd have to a case by case thing, But right now there isnt any necro bump policy. I could bump the 5 oldesst threads right now and walk away with maybe an infraction that expires in 3 months.

Well yeah. It'd have to a case by case thing, But right now there isnt any necro bump policy. I could bump the 5 oldesst threads right now and walk away with maybe an infraction that expires in 3 months.
    Why not just something that says "don't necro bump unless you have something legitimate to contribute"

Of course, it's hard to govern over something like that, since there really isn't any black and white way to determine whether the post they made was legitimate. For the most part, it should be pretty easy to tell though.

Quote Originally Posted by EpsilonX View Post
    Why not just something that says "don't necro bump unless you have something legitimate to contribute"

Of course, it's hard to govern over something like that, since there really isn't any black and white way to determine whether the post they made was legitimate. For the most part, it should be pretty easy to tell though.
    If I went through all the necro bumps they would be almost all by people that have less than 20 posts and accounts younger than 2 months. Its noobs coming in not reading the forum and keep necro forking us. People that are normal and been here awhile almost never make a shotty necro bump.

If I went through all the necro bumps they would be almost all by people that have less than 20 posts and accounts younger than 2 months. Its noobs coming in not reading the forum and keep necro forking us. People that are normal and been here awhile almost never make a shotty necro bump.
    I personally don't like the idea of closing older topics, because sometimes it's nice to go back and re-look at something and have something new to add to an older conversation, but you do have a point. Most of the forums i've been a part of don't have as big a problem with spammers as this one does. I've noticed that a lot of spammers will post in old topics and stuff and bring em back, and while that's annoying, to me I just see it as spamming any other topic. On the plus side, there's a chance that it would bring the discussion back and continue on as a good topic, but that doesn't always happen.

I don't know, I've given my thoughts on the matter, It's up to you guys.

Thread Information