Default Lemons falls on her face building a computer

My desktop is dying so I'm starting to look at building my computer (yikes been quite a while)
    Figured I'd come around here and get some feedback and help because knowing me as well as I do.. I'll likely mess up.
    So far I've only been looking on TigerDirect and Amazon to compare prices.

So currently I've got:

Motherboard:
    Buy the GIGABYTE Intel MATX Motherboard at TigerDirect.ca

Graphics Card:
    Buy the MSI GeForce GTX 970 Video Card - GTX 970 GAMING 4G at TigerDirect.ca

Processor:
    Intel Core i5-4460 Processor, 6M Cache, upto 3.4 GHz, BX80646I54460: Amazon.ca: Computers Tablets

I might try and use my current HP case but I have to make sure it all fits of course.
    I have a decent power supply so hoping I wont have to buy another.
    I only have 4gb ram so I'll be looking to upgrade that as well.

With the above three I'm looking at (roughly) $800+, hoping to not spend tooo much more.. D: HALP lol
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

I like the GPU and CPU but I'm not a fan of that motherboard. The motherboard will house everything so you want to make sure it's sturdy because you're putting a heavy CPU and Graphics card on it. It also has just two RAM slots so if you want to upgrade your RAM, you'll be very limited with what you can do. I like this one better: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gbs USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com - you have a lot more options of what you can do plus I think it'll be strong/powerful enough to house whatever you have. It's not too much more expensive. I'm sure you can find a Canadian version of this if Newegg doesn't suffice.

And what are the specs on your power supply? According to a review about the graphics card, you need a 6 pin GPU power connector and a 8 pin power connector with a minimum of 500 watts of power.

As for the HP case, you may want to make sure it can fit an ATX motherboard (or mATX motherboard if you get the one you linked to). These companies like to customize stuff making it difficult to replace parts if you don't get the exact same type.

A good case would be $40-$50. And to save costs, you could aim for another GPU.

About your current RAM, you need to make sure it's DDR3 if you're going with either the mobo you linked to or I linked to, otherwise they'll be useless.

I'm pretty tired, I'm sure I could be more useful when I have some food in my belly.

Good luck!
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

I was waiting on checking the power supply because it's hard to read the label lol but yeahhh... I was positive I got a 500w but sadly it's only 300w.
    Seems I'll have to change the graphics card or order a new power supply. Looks like I can get one for $50 on tigerdirect (yaaay rebates?!) that's 750w.

Thank you for the motherboard recommendation, I thought 2 slots for ram was a bit on the low side but I've never known much on what to look for in a motherboard besides looking for the right kind of connectors for everything lol It's not much more money either so that's a bonus.. unless shipping is a butt then I'll look on canadian sites.

Looks like I could get everything for under 1000, which is pretty much my cap.

OH okay I have questions.. about uh.. hard drives and card readers and cd/dvd dibbly dooz.. will they generally work with any motherboard?

In regards to motherboards, the 'price' actually says a lot. Since it's housing everything, it doesn't feel right to put a $180 CPU and ~$400 GPU on a $70 mobo. Which means the motherboard is either low-end or outdated.

Intel is more expensive anyway. You could also consider AMD. 90% of the computers I built are AMD (It's usually what I recommend to people). 100% of the machines I've built for myself are AMD. I still have the server I built in 2006? (Or 2007, I don't remember) and it still works.

As for hard drive, cd drives, card readers, they should all use SATA connectors and that's pretty much universal now. (Actually, I haven't installed a card reader in a long time, I'm pretty sure it uses SATA now, I'll check after work).
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

Definitely gonna look into AMD for processor. pretty set on the graphics card.

ASRock Z97 Extreme4 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gbs USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
    How does this look? My friend mentioned running two graphics cards (the same) sometime later if I wanted. It has three lol but yeah.

That mobo looks good. I've never used ASRock before though. I like Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA, and ASUS. I've used all of these.

My motherboard has slots for 3 graphics cards too and I always wanted to try two, but never really needed it, and never had enough ambition to try it out. Maybe my next build. I don't game that much anymore anyway.

And btw, you may want to make sure any motherboard you get will fit that HP case. Because look at this motherboard: Refurbished: HP 461537-001 DC5850 D5 Hounds SFF-MT System Board - Newegg.com

See that weird shape? That's what computer companies do, it's customized to only fit a certain case that they make. Always annoying.

haha yeahh I figured, most companies make it hard to do anything with their prebuilt products :P
    I might be able to get a case from a friend from one of their builds sooo *crosses fingers*

Thanks for all your help Linux, even if I don't get to buy n build this right now, I definitely learned some things.

Glad I can help. You know where to find me if you have more questions.

Thread Information