Default suspect who hits and kills police officer gets speical treatment.

NEW CASTLE, Ind. (WISH) - Until 61-year-old Sue Ann Vanderbeck turned herself into Henry County authorities on Monday, we didn't know that her attorney Steven Litz had cut a deal with prosecutor Kit Crane four days earlier. Court documents show Vanderbeck would meet with investigators, if her identity was kept secret.

Litz wanted a promise the woman accused in the hit and run that left a Greenfield officer dead wouldn't be “hounded by the press." As part of the deal investigators told her: "We are not to arrest you today."

Now, the Prosecutor insists it wasn't preferential treatment.

"He and I didn't negotiate what charge was going to be filed. He and I didn't negotiate any bond. Those things were not discussed, they weren't even raised, that was the only thing the man wanted from me, he gave me his promise that she'd be there and cooperate, she'd turn over the car. I gave him my word she wouldn't be arrested. And that's why she wasn't arrested until Monday,” Litz said.

We went to Vanderbeck's house Wednesday but no one was interested in talking. But the transcript of her interview sheds more light on the accident on a darkened U.S. 40.

Vanderbeck told investigators she was distracted by her young autistic son, trying to keep him from waking her two young twins, when she struck the officer on his bike. She explained she kept driving after swerving to miss Phillips because, as she said, "I didn't think I hit him very hard" Plus, she thought help was on the way.

Investigator: “Had you not seen the police car coming the other way with the lights on....”

Vanderbeck: "I would have gone back and looked around."

She even told investigators she once hit a family pet saying, "I hit a dog one time, I wasn't sure what it was and I went back and searched everywhere for it
    I am so mad right now I want to hit something. I can understand trying to keep control of your son, But I rather have my other children awake and screaming then to hit an innocent person and keep running. Oh you thought people were coming, CANT CALL A 10-00* and a 10-100* IF THE DAMN POLICE OFFICER IS DEAD YOU DUMBASS. Omfg really? You didnt think you hit him that hard, so that is felony reckless driving causing serious bodily injury, Class B Felony assault causing Death on a police officer/ Murder Class B Felony/ Class A Felony. leaving the scene of an accident causing bodily harm Class C Felony.

**** her She needs to be thrown into a gas chamber get some cyanide in there and let her die slowly and painfully. Hit and kill a police officer, I wish I was there I would have opened fire and shot till i couldnt see your vehicle anymore....

10-00 - Officer down all units respond
    10-100 no traffic but the officer in trouble, unless another officer is in trouble.
    Last edited by Jokersvirus; 10-06-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Thread Information