Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Indie Developer Saying Hello!

Hi all,

I came upon these forums while reading some articles, and thought I would stop in and say hello!

I am currently a full time student and have been working on a game in my free time with a group of highly talented individuals. We recently took our game to GDC and have been working hard in our free time to get the project completed!

I would be happy to talk more with you all, but I wanted to make sure I posted things in the right spot first, and didn't want to feel spammy! Any helpful suggestions would be great! I look forward to meeting you all and talking more!

Welcome to the forum!
    You definitely gotta start a thread to tell us more about this game you're working on!
    Just read the rules, browse the forum categories a bit to get a feel for where things go, and post away my friend.
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

Thank you much!

I read over the rules already but wasn't sure. I'll check them out more and hopefully have something posted soon.

Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDeveloper View Post
    Hi all,

I came upon these forums while reading some articles, and thought I would stop in and say hello!

I am currently a full time student and have been working on a game in my free time with a group of highly talented individuals. We recently took our game to GDC and have been working hard in our free time to get the project completed!

I would be happy to talk more with you all, but I wanted to make sure I posted things in the right spot first, and didn't want to feel spammy! Any helpful suggestions would be great! I look forward to meeting you all and talking more!
    Welcome to the forum mate, glad to have a fellow programmer on board. What languages do you know?
    My blog: Diablo 3

I actually specialize primarily in design, however have been working to learn more programming. We have a pretty talented programming team, so I normally work alongside them. I can read and understand code right now better than I can write it lol. Aside from design work, I also know a lot about game art - 3D modeling, animation, texturing, etc.

I actually specialize primarily in design, however have been working to learn more programming. We have a pretty talented programming team, so I normally work alongside them. I can read and understand code right now better than I can write it lol. Aside from design work, I also know a lot about game art - 3D modeling, animation, texturing, etc.
    By design you mean writing the game's story etc? Sounds like a cool job too.

You'll have to show us some of your 3D modelling skills! It's something I want to learn but I don't know if I'd pursue it.
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

Story, characters, locations, but also game mechanics. Even though our programming team takes care of implementing the mechanics, we will design them and then paper test them to make sure they are fun and operable. We then take that information and break in down so a programmer has all of the information they need, so we'll use spread sheets, diagrams, flow charts, statements etc to get the concept across clearly. We'll also sit down with the programmers while they are implementing the design and iteratively test the working mechanic to make sure it's matching what was originally designed. Any method to prevent the programmer from assuming how something works is what I normally work towards.

But I have also been doing a lot of graphic design as well. Right now our core game is working, so I have been revamping our GUI elements, talking with the programming team about it's functionality, and then implementing it. It's a ton of fun!

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LemonRising View Post
    You'll have to show us some of your 3D modelling skills! It's something I want to learn but I don't know if I'd pursue it.
    Sure thing! I can post a few things here. It's a lot of fun once you get going. There are some free 3D modeling programs out there you can start on to get a feeling for it.
    Last edited by VisionsDeveloper; 09-05-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Story, characters, locations, but also game mechanics. Even though our programming team takes care of implementing the mechanics, we will design them and then paper test them to make sure they are fun and operable. We then take that information and break in down so a programmer has all of the information they need, so we'll use spread sheets, diagrams, flow charts, statements etc to get the concept across clearly. We'll also sit down with the programmers while they are implementing the design and iteratively test the working mechanic to make sure it's matching what was originally designed. Any method to prevent the programmer from assuming how something works is what I normally work towards.

But I have also been doing a lot of graphic design as well. Right now our core game is working, so I have been revamping our GUI elements, talking with the programming team about it's functionality, and then implementing it. It's a ton of fun!

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

Sure thing! I can post a few things here. It's a lot of fun once you get going. There are some free 3D modeling programs out there you can start on to get a feeling for it.
    Nice man, sounds like you have a pretty good setup running. How much are you planning to sell the game for?

The game will be free to download and free to play!

Thread Information