PDA

View Full Version : 28 million Xbox 360's shipped

jakncoke
01-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Microsoft said today that it had sold more than 28 million Xbox 360s since introducing the game console in November 2005. That compares with more than 20 million PlayStation 3 consoles sold by Sony since it debuted the device in November 2006, according to Microsoft executives.

"We're widening our lead against PlayStation 3," said Aaron Greenberg, director of product management for the Xbox, who noted that going into the fourth quarter, Microsoft's lead had been 5 million consoles. "This was the best year in the history of the Xbox, despite the tough economy."

Greenberg credited last year's growth to a lineup of exclusive games, including Gears of War 2, Left for Dead and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.

He also credited the company's online game service, Xbox Live. The company said it now has 17 million Xbox Live subscribers who can use their consoles to find online opponents, download games or watch movies and TV shows. Though many Xbox Live subscribers opt for the free version of the service, Greenberg said that the majority pay $50 a year for the premium service, which includes the ability for Netflix members to view the service's Instant Watch movies and television shows for free.

Microsoft said online sales on the service, such as movie rentals and downloads of TV shows and games, jumped 84% in 2008 from 2007. The Redmond, Wash., company said consumers have spent more than $1 billion on Xbox Live, but it did not say how much of that was spent in 2008.

"It's a huge part of our business," Greenberg said. "And it's a quickly growing portion of our business."

How did the others do? NPD Group plans to release its sales number for the video game industry next week.

-- Alex Pham

Microsoft: Xbox 360 widens lead over PlayStation 3 | Technology | Los Angeles Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/01/microsoft-xbox.html)

They'll continue to widen the difference between 360 and PS3 as well as Sony can't do anything

LiNuX
01-06-2009, 12:36 AM
i still want a ps3, just can't buy one due to a lot of stuff lol...and leading by 5 million consoles is huge...come on sony, drop the price and watch it sell

jakncoke
01-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Yeah rock in a hard place but I think if Sony stays steady I can understand from a business point of view, They've lost 3 billion already, they are close to making a profit on each console sold..if they drop it they'll go into pretty big losses once again. Sooner or later they need to make profits and recover some. Sony as a whole is laying off 16k soon, perhaps there clearing room for the gaming division for a price cut on the PS3

LiNuX
01-06-2009, 12:44 AM
but prices for parts are a lot cheaper than they were in 2006, I know because I've seen computer part prices get folded up like 4 times - unless they have some contract where they are getting their products at the same price as 2 years ago, they really shouldn't be spending so much making these things.

jakncoke
01-06-2009, 12:46 AM
but prices for parts are a lot cheaper than they were in 2006, I know because I've seen computer part prices get folded up like 4 times - unless they have some contract where they are getting their products at the same price as 2 years ago, they really shouldn't be spending so much making these things.

When the PS3 just came out it cost nearly 900 to make a PS3. Insanity in the spotlight, this is the very reason they do not include PS3 parts anymore, to save a meager 30 bucks.

LiNuX
01-06-2009, 01:00 AM
When the PS3 just came out it cost nearly 900 to make a PS3. Insanity in the spotlight, this is the very reason they do not include PS3 parts anymore, to save a meager 30 bucks.

yeah, can't still be $900..that would be crazy spending

Samus-Fan
01-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Lol, I wouldn't buy a PS3 even if it was being sold for 10 dollars. The only way I would take one is if they were giving them away for free, and I still wouldn't play it, because all the games suck expect about 2.

Trunks
01-06-2009, 03:22 PM
About 5 million of those are from people who had to buy another 360 because theirs broke....

I plan on buying a few games for the ps3 just because the graphics will be better than the 360. Like FF 13, I'll be getting it for the ps3 instead. I also want GT 5 and MGS4, along with Resistance 2. I'd still say I like the 360 better though, better online play, more games, plus most of my friends have a 360 instead of a ps3.

Samus-Fan
01-06-2009, 03:32 PM
About 5 million of those are from people who had to buy another 360 because theirs broke....

Oh please.
If you were smart and actually got a warranty for it, then you shouldn't have to buy a new one.
And of those 5 million, I bet atleast 4 million of them were the persons fault and moved the 360 while it had the RROD.

Trunks
01-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Oh please.
If you were smart and actually got a warranty for it, then you shouldn't have to buy a new one.
And of those 5 million, I bet atleast 4 million of them were the persons fault and moved the 360 while it had the RROD.

um? I did have warranty on it? I had my 360 for 3 years now. Sorry, if Microsoft doesn't offer a 3 year warranty.

Samus-Fan
01-06-2009, 06:06 PM
um? I did have warranty on it? I had my 360 for 3 years now. Sorry, if Microsoft doesn't offer a 3 year warranty.

um? There is a 3 year warranty? Or more, a lifetime warranty. If you got it 3 years ago, a couple weeks afterwards they offered a lifetime warranty. And I have had mine for 3 years, too.

LiNuX
01-06-2009, 06:08 PM
um? There is a 3 year warranty? Or more, a lifetime warranty. If you got it 3 years ago, a couple weeks afterwards they offered a lifetime warranty. And I have had mine for 3 years, too.

lifetime warranty on a console? how much does that cost? when i got my PS2 i got a 2 year insurance on it, it's like 7 years later and still works lol...no need for a lifetime warranty on my end but im curious to know how much you paid for the lifetime one

jakncoke
01-06-2009, 06:14 PM
lifetime warranty on a console? how much does that cost? when i got my PS2 i got a 2 year insurance on it, it's like 7 years later and still works lol...no need for a lifetime warranty on my end but im curious to know how much you paid for the lifetime one

He must be a very rare case because I have never heard of such a thing, after a few failures they do offer a few free first party games and free spacebucks

Trunks
01-06-2009, 06:20 PM

Well, I heard of a 3 year warranty for PROD, which I have, but I don't have PROD. I'm not going to waste money on years of warranty. A console should last longer than a couple of years. I never knew you could get a life time warranty and I had my console for over 3 years, so it didn't matter if I had the 3 years one or not.

Samus-Fan
01-06-2009, 07:21 PM
100 for a lifetime, no idea if it was country-wide.
They offered it on the day of release.
Was at Best Buy, if it makes a difference.

jakncoke
01-06-2009, 07:43 PM
100 for a lifetime, no idea if it was country-wide.
They offered it on the day of release.
Was at Best Buy, if it makes a difference.

very much so, that was a store only warranty, much different than if a Microsoft rep gave it to you for free

Trunks
01-06-2009, 09:36 PM
I got my 360 from amazon. Don't think they offered a life time. Even if they did, I wouldn't of payed 100 dollars more. The one that I got cost 500 dollars when I first got it.

Samus-Fan
01-07-2009, 03:00 PM
I got my 360 from amazon. Don't think they offered a life time. Even if they did, I wouldn't of payed 100 dollars more. The one that I got cost 500 dollars when I first got it.

You're right, I would much rather pay 800 then 500.
Since you are saying you spent 400 on the Xbox, and you might have to re-buy it, 800 compared to 500.

Trunks
01-07-2009, 03:13 PM
You're right, I would much rather pay 800 then 500.
Since you are saying you spent 400 on the Xbox, and you might have to re-buy it, 800 compared to 500.

lol, why are you going crazy over this? My xbox cost 500 not 400 when I bought it. would of been 600 if I was even aware of the life time warranty and bought it. I didn't even pay for it, my parents did. It was a Christmas present. Also, it's not even 800 dollars, a new xbox will cost me 200.... So basically all I payed was an extra 100 dollars.

jakncoke
01-07-2009, 05:08 PM
lol, why are you going crazy over this? My xbox cost 500 not 400 when I bought it. would of been 600 if I was even aware of the life time warranty and bought it. I didn't even pay for it, my parents did. It was a Christmas present. Also, it's not even 800 dollars, a new xbox will cost me 200.... So basically all I payed was an extra 100 dollars.

He's anti PS3 like no other, pretty sure the 800 part is PS3 attack...well if the teen wants to miss good games this gen then he is only to blame, personally if I had the money I'd be owning all 3.

Samus-Fan
01-07-2009, 06:17 PM
LOL JAKNCOKE.
You think 800 was meant to be a PS3 attack?
HOW DUMB ARE YOU.
I thought he paid 400 for his xbox, buying a new one would be 800. No PS3 was brought up in this at all.
What games am I missing? Over-Priced-For-The-Amount-Of-Actual-Game Games?

jakncoke
01-07-2009, 06:32 PM
LOL JAKNCOKE.
HOW DUMB ARE YOU.
I thought he paid 400 for his xbox, buying a new one would be 800. No PS3 was brought up in this at all.

I am not going into list warz with you, if you are to lazy to do you own research then your loss not mine.

LiNuX
01-07-2009, 06:33 PM
LOL JAKNCOKE.
HOW DUMB ARE YOU.

please watch what you post, not great to see a staff member insulting another member with "how dumb are you"

feel free to have debates but no need to bring personal insults into this

omgodzilla10
04-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Cool. I still wanna try out the new Ps3, it sounds cool.

jakncoke
04-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Cool. I still wanna try out the new Ps3, it sounds cool.

I wouldn't consider it new any more, more like like middle of his existence or possibly winding down towards his death depending on how long Sony wants to bleed money with it