PDA

View Full Version : Digital TV deadline delayed

jakncoke
01-26-2009, 10:37 PM
The Senate has approved legislation to delay the conversion to digital TV from Feb. 17 to June 12. The House could vote on similar legislation by the end of the week.

The extension would give consumers four more months to buy a digital television or converter box, or subscribe to a cable or satellite TV service. The Commerce Department also would have time to issue additional $40 coupons to offset the cost of converter boxes. The program ran out of money/coupons earlier this month, prompting a waiting list.

The House Energy and Commerce Committee takes up its bill tomorrow. President Obama endorses the delay.

Lawmakers say about 20 million U.S. households — mostly poor, elderly or rural — are not ready for the switch from over-the-air signals to digital. Broadcasters says the conversion will improve viewing quality and give public safety officials more spectrum.

Senate votes to delay digital TV switch to June - On Deadline - USATODAY.com (http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/01/senate-votes-to.html)

20 million seems quite high, seriously though delaying is a joke. Watch they delay again in mid may till the end of 2009.

CookieMonster
01-26-2009, 10:46 PM
I saw this coming... and your right this is going to go on probably till the end of the year if not into 2010...

LiNuX
01-26-2009, 10:50 PM
lol to june...sux...but it really doesn't affect me seeing I've been getting digital cable for years now.

now all the advertising they did to warn people about February 17th is gone to waste..

jakncoke
01-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Doesn't affect me either but this dragging the feet got us way behind the times in internet and car industry

rukisuto
01-27-2009, 05:24 PM
now all the advertising they did to warn people about February 17th is gone to waste..

That's exactly what I was thinking.
Delaying was a stupid, stupid idea.
Just have them go without TV until they can freaking afford the receiver, lol.
Not every single person in the US is going to be able to switch even in June.

LiNuX
01-27-2009, 07:20 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Delaying was a stupid, stupid idea.
Just have them go without TV until they can freaking afford the receiver, lol.
Not every single person in the US is going to be able to switch even in June.

or just give bigger discounts and even give some converters away for free...they could have used the ad money for that cuz they'll probably spend money on telling people about the new date