PDA

View Full Version : EA not done milking NFS

jakncoke
01-30-2009, 09:48 AM
EA reboots Need for Speed with three new titles in 2009
Electronic Arts is to move its Need for Speed racing franchise into three distinct genres, as it breathes more life into a series that has sold almost one hundred million units.

This autumn will see the release of simulation game Need for Speed Shift and arcade racer Need for Speed Nitro, while later in the year, EA will release the free-to-play action MMOG Need for Speed World Online.

"Our fans have been sharing with us their varied takes on the racing genre and it is clear that despite the huge mass appeal of Need for Speed’s action-driving games, there are large groups of consumers who appreciate different takes on racing games," commented Keith Munro, VP of marketing at EA, to our sister site Eurogamer.net.

"A few years ago we decided to respond to this reality, so we are taking the franchise down some new paths by delivering three distinct experiences: simulation, action and arcade.

"This isn’t about quantity, this is about crafting different games for different audiences and their unique tastes in the driving category," he added.

Slightly Mad Studios – made up of former GT Legends and GTR2 developers – will work on Need for Speed Shift alongside Black Box producer Michael Mann, and senior VP of EA Games Europe, Patrick Soderland. The title will be released for PC, PS3, PSP and Xbox 360.

For the Wii and DS, Need for Speed Nitro is in development at EA Montreal, while Need for Speed World Online will be co-developed by Black Box and EA Singapore.

Exclusively for the PC and to be released first in Asia, the game will be part of the Play 4 Free range, which currently includes FIFA Online.

"Once Need for Speed World Online has been successfully deployed in Asia, we will expand the game's reach by offering the service to PC gamers around the world," said Munro.

He also revealed that as well as Nitro, EA Black Box is also working on a "future action title in the franchise".

Despite four titles in the works, Munro insisted that the company is not milking its franchises, rather tailoring them to different needs and consumer demands.

"I would say that our strategy is the inverse of milking; it is an intentionally non-traditional approach," he said. "We are creating different racing games in different sub-genres, and this will become clear as we reveal the titles over the course of 2009."

http://www.marlerblog.com/7.5milk.jpg

YuriPrime
01-31-2009, 05:13 PM
Hey, if people keep buying, why not keep making?

jakncoke
01-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Indeed to many retards in this world, lets kick them out!

LiNuX
01-31-2009, 11:29 PM
lol...haven't bought an NFS game since Underground, I plan on keeping that streak up - I like Midnight Club and Gran Turismo games better..

jakncoke
01-31-2009, 11:36 PM
to go further in depth in my rants, It doesn't really irritate me that people buy games that I see as bad it's the people that do zero research and buy on brandname only, and in the opinion of this member that is why NFS is still a profiting franchise

LiNuX
02-01-2009, 12:48 AM
to go further in depth in my rants, It doesn't really irritate me that people buy games that I see as bad it's the people that do zero research and buy on brandname only, and in the opinion of this member that is why NFS is still a profiting franchise

I agree a 100%

I used to be a huge NFS fan - had to get/play the newest NFS game and I have been doing so for a long time now, I remember playing the NFS games on my pc with the horrible graphics (compared to today) - but I dont think it had to do with the brand name for me, I just didn't have many other racing games to play lol

I've moved on, and so should others

GeneralSgtSkull
06-21-2009, 04:31 AM
I know people will hate me for this but...NFS rocks as long as they keep me occcuipied because ibeat every nfs almost only 2 have not beat yet....

puds
06-21-2009, 05:47 AM
NFS games used to be really good. Like you could tell a lot of work was put into them. I used to buy every NFS game but stopped after buying carbon. EA just lost the kind of energy that developers put into a game and just started pumping the series for money.

The fact that EA is bringing out 3 different NFS games this year shows that they aren't taking any real time to make these games and are just throwing out the same old rubbish.

I'm one of these people who hate EA because of this very reason. All they do is buy over developers and then make them follow their rules of shoddiness.

One thing I have to admit though is SHIFT looks quite good IMO. I can't help loving games that have cockpit view. :)

Trunks
06-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Yes, Shift looks really good. I'm a big fan of simulation racing games. I'm going to get Forza 3, so I doubt I'll get shift, but if I ever get the money and time to play it. Shift will be mine.

As for the rest of NFS the games suck. NFS underground was fun for a non simulation. NFS Underground 2 was okay... then carbon was fun for the cop chases and that's about it.... Forza and Gran Turismo are 100 times better

Jaykub
06-21-2009, 02:10 PM
I will buy the games for need for speed if there made....

They need to make another underground

jakncoke
06-21-2009, 09:15 PM
That doesn't look like it'll happen anytime soon, they seem to think NFS is best suited as a simulation racer at the moment.