PDA

View Full Version : [RANT] Halo

rebootblue
02-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Honestly. I hate Halo. I'm entitled to my opinion, and if you're here you're interested in it. No flames from Halolosers please. This is my opinion as a long time gamer.

Before Halo us gamers were few. We loved our games, and the only FPS games that mattered were really Half-Life and Quake (At least for me. I was playing RTS games at this point).

Around the time I swapped to RPG gaming, Halo came out. Suddenly every person with an Xbox had it, and most of the n00bs began associating themselves with gamers. You even mention Quake to these guys and they draw a blank. They have no idea that their games are mostly run off of Quake's FPS engine.

Nowadays we have everyone playing Video Games, and most people in US call themselves gamers. Even though the only Consoles they touch are PSP and Xbox 360. I blame Halo, and Xbox for ruining Gamer culture. I will hate them to the end....

Yea I have an Xbox. I'm a hardcore gamer. What if a kickin' game comes out for it. Also, it's my little brother's. I just use it for any games I borrow. See: Orange Box, Fable 2. I'm gonna buy Mirror's Edge.

Just because I have one doesn't mean I can't hate it without being a hypocrite.

jakncoke
02-12-2009, 09:41 PM
video games goes in cycles, just like how fighters and rpgs were super popular back then and now rpgs/fighters have taken a backseat to shooters and casual games.

Trunks
02-12-2009, 09:55 PM
I respect your opinion, but

Halo 3 doesn't run off quakes engine. Considering they would have to redesign it to run on the 360. It is true that the Quake engine is used for a lot of other games. Most if not all on the PC. But that's how it starts. They don't make a new engine for every game. There are probably other game engines that run just as many games as Quake's.

I do agree that many people call them selves "Gamers" when they own one console. But how many of them just have a PS3 or just a Wii? It works both ways, your looking at this one sided. My guess, Statistic wise, there's more of them playing Mario games and calling them self a hard core gamer, because Wii sold way more consoles.

and saying you hate the 360, and owning it is being hypocritical. That's the definition of it.

rebootblue
02-12-2009, 10:03 PM
and saying you hate the 360, and owning it is being hypocritical. That's the definition of it.

I never bought it. The government spy device just appeared in my house on Christmas. It's my little bros. I use it to play portal because Portal lags me too much on PC, and Portal rules. Well...I also use it for Fable 2...

Also, you bring up a valid point. However most people calling themselves gamers own a 360 only (or 360 and a psp. I still count that as one console since the PSP is a handheld). There aren't that many people calling themselves gamers who only own PS3 and Wii. Most people owning a Wii are really gamers.

Also, trace Halo back far enough and it's on a quake engine. It's not hard to mod a game to run on a console. See: PS2 Half-Life. Half-Life 2. Half-Life was originally a Quake Mod.

Trunks
02-12-2009, 10:10 PM
I never bought it. The government spy device just appeared in my house on Christmas. It's my little bros. I use it to play portal because Portal lags me too much on PC, and Portal rules. Well...I also use it for Fable 2...

Also, you bring up a valid point. However most people calling themselves gamers own a 360 only (or 360 and a psp. I still count that as one console since the PSP is a handheld). There aren't that many people calling themselves gamers who only own PS3 and Wii. Most people owning a Wii are really gamers.

Also, trace Halo back far enough and it's on a quake engine. It's not hard to mod a game to run on a console. See: PS2 Half-Life. Half-Life 2. Half-Life was originally a Quake Mod.

Uhh maybe halo 1 or 2, but not 3 lol. You were talking about how Halo 3 ruined gaming. Wikimedia Error (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_3) On the right side, It says Engine. It was built ground up by Havok Physics. Pretty sure that's not Quake. Get your facts straight before you start flaming consoles.

Also, you don't have a PS3, you mentioned in another thread. So, how is it that you know, that no one thinks they are a gamer? Also since you hardly play the 360, how do you know that they only own 1 console. did you ask them?

And no, I'm not flaming the PS3, I have one and use it. Just using it as an example, because you seem to think "most" on it doesn't think that they are. Same wit the Wii. Your just flaming the 360 lol, it's simple.

jakncoke
02-12-2009, 10:10 PM
The government spy device just appeared in my house on Christmas

oh lawd, as for the definition of gamer you are throwing around, I'd disagree that most are, Nintendo has done a fantastic job getting people that wouldn't give 2 ****s about video games otherwise to buy the Wii, that is why it's going far and beyond what any other console has done.

rebootblue
02-13-2009, 01:21 AM
oh lawd, as for the definition of gamer you are throwing around, I'd disagree that most are, Nintendo has done a fantastic job getting people that wouldn't give 2 ****s about video games otherwise to buy the Wii, that is why it's going far and beyond what any other console has done.

And you chose that specific line to quote....because?

A gamer generally does define themselves (contradicting self kinda). But some long time gamers who have been playing since genesis, or the first Duke Nukem (I played it) tend to get really angsty around Xbox topics. Since most of us feel that it ruined people's definition of gamer. No longer do you have to be intelligent at all, and have any sk1llz to be a gamer. All you need to do is know where the sh00t button is and you're a gamer. This all started with Xbox and Halo, and frankly it pisses me off to the core. You can argue all you want, but it still drives me nuts.

Also, I'll trace Halo back. I'll see if I can connect it to Quake.

jakncoke
02-13-2009, 02:34 AM
your not seeing how ridiculous you sound right there? unless it's a terrible joke. Anyways, sure games are easier but that doesn't make them any less fun and you do realize that without making the games easier we'd never see this record growth in this industry, maybe your a nerd/elitist that'd rather have videogames all to his self/Ninja Gaiden hardness for every game and not want casual gamers to game or enjoy games maybe not but to many they use games as something relax and escape reality...not an e-peen contest . The industry has grown leaps and bounds because of casual gamers...hardcore gamers don't want to admit this but this is very much a fact, hardcore gamers are a small pct of the pie. another rant on easier games over time I find it's there is no consequences anymore for dying.

Samus-Fan
02-13-2009, 02:52 PM
In my opinion, a "gamer" can be a person who is hardcore, or someone who touches their one console once a week.
"Gamer" is someone who plays games.
And Quake was not the beginning. Quake did not "define" First-Person Shooter.
There we other games, some older and some newer. Look at the Doom series. The best IMO, Doom II: Hell on Earth came out in 1994. If you were a "gamer" as you say, you would know that Doom II defined FPS more than Quake even came close to doing.

EDIT:
I lol'd when you said "been playing since Genisis".
You do realize that console isn't the first?

EDIT SOME MOAR:
Halo didn't start the "Lul'z I'z GAM3R" thing. That was around since, uhm, Nintendo.
Microsoft did not "ruin" the name of gamers. The name of gamers was never ruined. Hardcore gamers are barely half of the amount of people who play games. Less than a quater, even.

rebootblue
02-13-2009, 03:06 PM
In my opinion, a "gamer" can be a person who is hardcore, or someone who touches their one console once a week.
"Gamer" is someone who plays games.
And Quake was not the beginning. Quake did not "define" First-Person Shooter.
There we other games, some older and some newer. Look at the Doom series. The best IMO, Doom II: Hell on Earth came out in 1994. If you were a "gamer" as you say, you would know that Doom II defined FPS more than Quake even came close to doing.

EDIT:
I lol'd when you said "been playing since Genisis".
You do realize that console isn't the first?

EDIT SOME MOAR:
Halo didn't start the "Lul'z I'z GAM3R" thing. That was around since, uhm, Nintendo.
Microsoft did not "ruin" the name of gamers. The name of gamers was never ruined. Hardcore gamers are barely half of the amount of people who play games. Less than a quater, even.

I hate Doom. I think it was poorly thought out, and poorly constructed. I've ever studied Doom ever. Quake made FPS games what they are today. Most games run off of a Quake engine.

I must be 1337core Gamer or something since I touch my consoles for at least 6 hours at a time.

Genesis was my first console. I was raised with bible-humping parents condemning video games. They let me play Sonic since they didn't think it would ruin me. It did.

I don't want any more flames. I said my views and I will stick by them. I hate Halo because for me, and possibly only me, it ruined gamer culture.

Samus-Fan
02-13-2009, 04:41 PM
I hate Doom. I think it was poorly thought out, and poorly constructed. I've ever studied Doom ever. Quake made FPS games what they are today. Most games run off of a Quake engine.

I must be 1337core Gamer or something since I touch my consoles for at least 6 hours at a time.

Genesis was my first console. I was raised with bible-humping parents condemning video games. They let me play Sonic since they didn't think it would ruin me. It did.

I don't want any more flames. I said my views and I will stick by them. I hate Halo because for me, and possibly only me, it ruined gamer culture.

You hate Halo (Legendary Game) and you hate Doom series (Legendary Games, better than your Quake).

1337...Lol....
I touch mine for atleasy 9 when I play Left 4 Dead, another game I bet ya hate.

Doom was poorly thought out? They turned a generic Sci-Fi story to an amazing game and made FPS what they are. It constructed QUAKE into what it is.

Without Doom, you might never of had Quake. And who cares if games run off its engine? A lot of games run of the Unreal Engine, as well. Oh, let's not forget about the Source engine. Lots of games run off that.

Raw!
02-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Althought, Samus, it's true what you say, DOOM is the game that redefined FPS. It's an opinion. It's all just an opinion, and no matter how much I'd like to say it's fact, you've got to refer to it as an opinion. That does not classify as fact.

Sure DOOM may have redefined the FPS genre, but then, Quake brought it into a whole bigger playground. ALL of this is our opinion and we can't say one is wrong.

In my opinion about the Halo series, no, it didn't ruin the gaming culture. IF AT ALL, it's the milestone for the thumbstick generation. Everybody is a gamer if they touch their console at least once, because you are playing, and therefore you are classified as a gamer.

LemonRising
02-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Haha I think the real topic here is what people define as a 'gamer'.
I mean, is it right to assume that just because someone does not own a wide range of consoles, mean that they aren't as much a gamer as someone else might be?
For me, it's a money thing, I don't have all the latest and greatest. I have to spend my christmas/birthday/work money on other things than games. I own a PS2, and a DS, a gameboy colour, and a laptop. My brother owns a PSP, which I play a lot too. I've played doom, old skool sonic, duck hunter, zelda, and old skool mario and N64 was my life for awhile. Would I consider myself a gamer? Maybe not a HARDCORE one, but yeah, I would.
If halo got someone interested in games, I would never say "OH YOU ONLY LIKE HALO YOU ARE SO NOT A GAMER." I would be more excited that they've gotten into games at all. Consider halo a gateway game then (the pot of games? hahaaa). We all start out somewhere. Just because they first got started on halo, does not mean they can't slowly branch out and join in on a gamers lifestyle. If they play the game a lot, then sure, they're a gamer too.
I think we should be more excited that more people are getting interested in games and forget about being all elitist and judging people purely on their experience. More people interested in games = more people working on games = more games.
That's how I see it, but as you know, everyone is entitled to their personal opinions <:
We also have to realize there are idiots in every culture. haha

jakncoke
02-13-2009, 07:55 PM
For me, it's a money thing, I don't have all the latest and greatest. I have to spend my christmas/birthday/work money on other things than games. I own a PS2, and a DS

Ya money is a big thing with me now, if I had it I'd have a 360 and possibly Wii, in the PS2/PS1 days I got by just fine with 1 system because of all the games for it+lack of money. Although I did own a N64 for a little bit, Doom 64, Body Harvest, South Park brought me hours of fun

Trunks
02-14-2009, 04:18 PM
And you chose that specific line to quote....because?

A gamer generally does define themselves (contradicting self kinda). But some long time gamers who have been playing since genesis, or the first Duke Nukem (I played it) tend to get really angsty around Xbox topics. Since most of us feel that it ruined people's definition of gamer. No longer do you have to be intelligent at all, and have any sk1llz to be a gamer. All you need to do is know where the sh00t button is and you're a gamer. This all started with Xbox and Halo, and frankly it pisses me off to the core. You can argue all you want, but it still drives me nuts.

Also, I'll trace Halo back. I'll see if I can connect it to Quake.

Read my post and look at the links. It proves that it doesn't....

LovianDark
02-15-2009, 12:42 AM
For me (possibly others) the only really "good" games were the old school ones. Don't get me wrong, I love my modern games, but there's almost nothing as satisfying as sitting down with a little Duck Hunt or Pong after getting the **** scared out of me from hours of Quake4 and Tribes. I believe that saying, "only noobs play Xbox, and therefor noobs can't be gamers" is just saying that people who enjoy a different gaming experience than you aren't "1337" and never will be. In other words, someone who so boldly declares that they are elite because they play only "pure" Nintendo games, could be stereotyped as being soft core wusses. (because of their lack of exciting fps) On the other hand, anyone saying that Nintendo fans are wusses could be notarized as an overbearing warmonger with nothing better to do with their time that play games that "glorify war". In all reality however; a 'gamer' is, one who plays games. So, why don't we all just stop stereotyping and get on with virtual life? (however that life appeals to us)

Logical
05-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Just to pop my opinion in real quick. Most people on FPS's nowadays look down on people who carry "Quake" tactics in their pocket.

IE: Jumping around on COD4-5 gets you called a Quake Noob, etc.

I tried Quake when it came out for the 360. Horrible game play and story. So please, do not put your pathetic game in front of one like Halo.

The reason more people are calling themselves gamers, is in fact because they are. Just because they don't meet your high standard of owning various other titles.

Id.E.M
05-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Haha I think the real topic here is what people define as a 'gamer'.
I mean, is it right to assume that just because someone does not own a wide range of consoles, mean that they aren't as much a gamer as someone else might be?
For me, it's a money thing, I don't have all the latest and greatest. I have to spend my christmas/birthday/work money on other things than games. I own a PS2, and a DS, a gameboy colour, and a laptop. My brother owns a PSP, which I play a lot too. I've played doom, old skool sonic, duck hunter, zelda, and old skool mario and N64 was my life for awhile. Would I consider myself a gamer? Maybe not a HARDCORE one, but yeah, I would.
If halo got someone interested in games, I would never say "OH YOU ONLY LIKE HALO YOU ARE SO NOT A GAMER." I would be more excited that they've gotten into games at all. Consider halo a gateway game then (the pot of games? hahaaa). We all start out somewhere. Just because they first got started on halo, does not mean they can't slowly branch out and join in on a gamers lifestyle. If they play the game a lot, then sure, they're a gamer too.
I think we should be more excited that more people are getting interested in games and forget about being all elitist and judging people purely on their experience. More people interested in games = more people working on games = more games.
That's how I see it, but as you know, everyone is entitled to their personal opinions <:
We also have to realize there are idiots in every culture. haha

Gamer: Historically, a reference to someone who played role-playing games and wargames. More recently, however, the term has grown to include players of video games. While the term nominally includes those who do not necessarily consider themselves to be gamers (i.e., casual gamers), it is commonly used to identify those who spend much of their leisure time playing or learning about different games. (Wikipedia, FTW)

Thus, at least by the standards of the Wikipedia administration, we all are gamers. Just because you're a conceded, hypocritical e1337ist doesn't make your definition or opinions true.

Please, don't go on and on about "The greatest game of all time." It's just your opinion, and in the eyes of many, it's wrong (that's right. You=wrong).

The truely hard-core gamers are not those who obsess over their favorite game; it's the people that are open to every game, and who have wasted many an hour playing every console/game they can get their hands on. Your obsession with Quake just proves how 1337ist you are.
Fun Fact: Halo is not only the pot of Videogames, it's also the insurance fraud, identity theft, and yes kids, hit and run of videogames.

Fun Fact 2: n00bs<Playstation<Nintendo<XBOX<Guitar Hero<3

LemonRising
05-03-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't get what you are trying to say by quoting me.

You bolded "it's a money thing." then went off about being an elitist.

Explain, perhaps?

Id.E.M
05-04-2009, 08:36 AM
I don't get what you are trying to say by quoting me.

You bolded "it's a money thing." then went off about being an elitist.

Explain, perhaps?

Oh wow. I completely lost my train of thought. Maybe I was going to make the point that while it's a money issue for many, you need very little to call yourself a gamer.
Lawl:laugh: I have no idea why I did that. Thanks for pointing that out :D

LemonRising
05-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Ah I see.

yeah I read your post and it was like a giant mishmash of random things trying to connect.
it was like watching mentally challenged have sex.

Jjjet1
05-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Ah I see.

yeah I read your post and it was like a giant mishmash of random things trying to connect.
it was like watching mentally challenged have sex.

You watched that! Holy cow! But I'm fairly sure Halo didn't ruin anything, that it made it better. Most of the time I tell people I have a 360, they ask me if I have Halo.

Id.E.M
05-04-2009, 03:50 PM
You watched that! Holy cow! But I'm fairly sure Halo didn't ruin anything, that it made it better. Most of the time I tell people I have a 360, they ask me if I have Halo.

Haha. As I isizle to poor for an XBOX 360, I'm usually the guy asking.
Ms. Lemons, I'd have to agree with you. The mentally challenged-people-having-sex part..... no. That's incredibly offensive to those that have mental disabilities, as it's a direct insult to their actions, which they cannot always control. Or something like that:eek1: haha :laugh:

When I started writing that post, I had a clear goal. That Halo is super fantastic and, along with other 7th generation FPS games, it has expanded the private sector of gaming (37?) fold. Or something like that:eek1::laugh:

LemonRising
05-04-2009, 04:49 PM
It's not their fault they move the way they do, but they do move the way they do.
<;

And I guess as far as I'm concerned a gamer is someone who enjoys games and plays them regularly.
MY FINAL VERDICT FO SHO

There can also be the classification of "hardcore gamer." So if you want to get anal about what a hardcore gamer is, then go have fun with that.

Id.E.M
05-04-2009, 05:43 PM
It's not their fault they move the way they do, but they do move the way they do.
<;

And I guess as far as I'm concerned a gamer is someone who enjoys games and plays them regularly.
MY FINAL VERDICT FO SHO

There can also be the classification of "hardcore gamer." So if you want to get anal about what a hardcore gamer is, then go have fun with that.

NUUUUU. MY WORD IS FINAL!!! :mad1::mad1::mad1::mad1::mad1::eek1:
But yea, I agree with you. I'd rather not "anal about what a hardcore gamer is." Sounds rather painful:eek1::laugh::laugh::laugh::twitcy:

Jjjet1
05-04-2009, 08:20 PM
How can you be too poor to have a 360?? They are only 300 bucks now man! get with the times!

Id.E.M
05-04-2009, 08:34 PM
How can you be too poor to have a 360?? They are only 300 bucks now man! get with the times!

By "I'm too poor," I mean I can't really buy it. I have enough cash, but there are circumstances beyond my control that won't allow me to buy it. I have enough friends with one that I can perpetually keep borrowing one, so it ends up me always having one:laugh::laugh::D;-)
I bought a copy of HALO though because it is THE GREATEST 7th GEN FPS (that I've played. Maybe not THE greatest, but in top 3;-))

LemonRising
05-04-2009, 08:37 PM
lol 300 bucks not being a lot.

I think you are joking though.
hard to register sarcasm on the internet.

Jjjet1
05-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Well I personally don't think 300 bucks is a lot but well... That's just me.

Trunks
05-04-2009, 09:00 PM
hmmm, 300 seems like quite a lot to me. Not sure what kind of life style you grew up on, but 300 is defaintly a lot for me. I currently have 94 dollars in cash and I feel rich = ).

LemonRising
05-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Yeah...
300 is a lot.
for most people.
especially now.

Pffff sorry that I have to spend my money on food, clothes, and transportation.
B |
shame on you bro.

jakncoke
05-04-2009, 09:06 PM
300 is also a lot imo, then again I was raised with a family that didn't bring in a lot, my father worked and my mom stayed home to take care of us 3 kids and he brought home on average 800 every 2 weeks.

Jjjet1
05-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Hey! My mom used to be homeless (for about a month) and my dad is a HS drop out/druggy. But that's all 360'd on their *sses so it's good I guess. But I usually bring home atleast 60-100 a trip from the casino but not lately... :\