PDA

View Full Version : A Question...

XXXBurningStarIV
03-15-2009, 03:33 AM
I have my own forum and most of it is only friends and other Gears gamers.
But I had asked them not to double post, and they did it anyways.
So I put up a Warning Level and here was the response:
WHAT THE ?!?! (http://upahsgamingforum.heavenforum.com/rambling-f8/what-the-t194.htm)

I was wondering, do you think I was too hard on them?
I think the response was pretty stupid from all of them. I have two rules on my forum. Double Posting is a Pet Peeve of mine at times. Especially when not needed.
[Like the example I posted there.]

Also, I had already posted about it on the announcements. And was pretty damn nice.
Here's that one:
Double Posting (http://upahsgamingforum.heavenforum.com/announcement-shii-f9/double-posting-t169.htm)

I would like your opinions as to how I handled this matter.
[Also, sorry if this is the wrong place to shove this. Looked like the right place to put it.]

Knibbler
03-15-2009, 04:36 AM
Personally I think you've handeled it the same way any admin would have and asking people not to double post isn't anything huge so I can't see what there problem is...

I'm pretty strick when it comes to being admin.. and certain people on past own forums that I shall not mention have come to learn that very quickly.. I tend not to run around with warnings.. I would have thrown out a few 3 day bans and if continued there after.. I would have extended the ban to a week and the third strike would have been life..

XXXBurningStarIV
03-15-2009, 05:23 AM
Okay. I thought I treated it well too.
I decided to put it on the profile page instead of right under their name.
Still *****ing, but it's better now I guess.

I thought I was pretty nice about it too.
-___-

Exodyus
03-15-2009, 08:03 AM
LolBabe.

Being an admin is hard, eh? ;) It takes a lot of patience for stupid people. Right Linux?! ;D

Frankly, Star - take the post counts off of the forum and call it good. They'll have no reason to double post then - and if they do, let it happen.

In theory, that's what makes me angry about this site is that who gives a sh;t if I double post? It's not hurting anyone or anything.
When I do it - I'm not trying to jack up my post count and it's out of taste, usually - not Spam.

But - ble.

LiNuX
03-15-2009, 09:18 AM
you did good there - if they don't respect the admin they don't deserve to speak imo. and it's a pet peeve of mine too, and you treated it well, didn't lose your cool, that's the right way!

Drake14
03-15-2009, 10:01 AM
I've been an admin/mod of quite a few forums and have had to deal with many similar situations. You handled it well :) Good job :) I'm a personal fan of banning the resistance! haha if it keeps up a 24 hour ban usually works. Or drives them away :/ tough decision but it's work maintaining a well run forum. There's no room for jerk offs.

XXXBurningStarIV
03-16-2009, 07:56 AM
True. But it sucks that everyone there is a good friend, and plus, my forum only has 33 members. Lol. And only about seven or eight of them are active. So banning wouldn't be a very wise decision.
Also, as for the double posting, it's kind of annoying when people do it.
I mean, especially in situations like the example I posted.
I mean only ten minutes passed. She did not need to post again.
She didn't even add anything.
I know people don't do it to be annoying, though some do, but it is.

Drake14
03-16-2009, 07:57 AM
I suppose not. Well you still handled it well so don't worry about. People will get pissed. They'll get over it. As long as they stay active it shouldn't matter too much.

LiNuX
03-16-2009, 08:02 AM
you still have to be able to tell them that its your forum, if they start taking over your rules, that wouldn't be a good sign...always stick to your decision, or at least what Linux tells you is good!

XXXBurningStarIV
03-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Lol. Did you see my final decision?
Do you think that was fair without lowering my status?
[If you know what I mean..]
I decided to keep the Warn level but instead of having it under their names they have it on their profile.

Drake14
03-16-2009, 08:11 AM
Yeah i don't think people like having how much of jerk-offs they are publicly displayed haha. So i figure if it's not outwardly shown they shouldn't mind as much. But people get pissed you just have to deal with it and give them time to get over it.

XXXBurningStarIV
03-16-2009, 08:13 AM
I thought it was alright too.
But most forums I've been to have it right under your name.
Also, some people enjoy it just so they can be retarded and get their level up high.

LiNuX
03-16-2009, 08:14 AM
yeah i read that one, the profile warn - it's still good, at least they didn't make you remove the feature completely, that would have "lowered your status"

Drake14
03-16-2009, 08:14 AM
That is also true. But overall...as has been stated a lot haha. You did the right thing. So i wouldn't worry about it.

XXXBurningStarIV
03-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Alright. Thanks. I thought I was nice about it. And it kind of annoyed me that people would tell me not to have it on.
But I also didn't want to upset people too much and have a user friendly forum, so I just kept it on their profile.