PDA

View Full Version : OnLive The next-gen Console

Vividz
03-30-2009, 06:47 PM
This looks amazing! You can play any game on practically any TV/Mac/PC! Cant wait till beta comes out to see if it runs smoothly and just how much it will cost. :yes::yes:

Official Site:

http://www.onlive.com

Gamespot Article:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6206742.html

All you need to know in video format:

GDC 2009: OnLive Press Conference - Movies at GameSpot (http://gdc.gamespot.com/video/6206692/gdc-2009-onlive-press-conference?hd=1)

Beta Sign Up:

OnLive: Beta Program (http://www.onlive.com/beta_program.html)

Discuss!

GrandMoff
03-30-2009, 07:56 PM
This does look amazing. However, I have only read little about it, but what I have heard about it fascinates me. Imagine being able to play any game smoothly on ANY TV/PC etc. I also read that this new phenomenon will drastically hurt sales of consoles.

Exodyus
03-30-2009, 10:33 PM
I don't know how successful this will be, but what I can imagine is - that the ability to play ANY GAME without console recognition, is a beautiful thing....

HOWEVER - much like ripping dvd's and cd's, I'll be willing to bet the gaming industry will start locking up their discs harder to prevent this fiasco from happening to the system industry.

Personally, since the crap known as Microsoft has joined the race however - there hasn't been a console since the PS2 - because all the systems now are computers.

Vividz
03-31-2009, 01:06 AM
I don't know how successful this will be, but what I can imagine is - that the ability to play ANY GAME without console recognition, is a beautiful thing....

HOWEVER - much like ripping dvd's and cd's, I'll be willing to bet the gaming industry will start locking up their discs harder to prevent this fiasco from happening to the system industry.

Personally, since the crap known as Microsoft has joined the race however - there hasn't been a console since the PS2 - because all the systems now are computers.

The best thing about this is that the games will be running on computers themselves. They have GPU's that can be updated at anytime depending on what comes out in the future and what not. Also, I don't think that these companies have a choice in the matter because you stream your games (no downloading or disc changing) and this is opening the market for all of the game companies to make more money (without the cost of making discs)

LemonRising
03-31-2009, 11:02 AM
This looks sexy.
I'm pumped.

jakncoke
03-31-2009, 12:31 PM
It's an awesome idea in theory but we're still too far out tech wise for it to be anything other than nerds wet fantasy. For it to even begin to gain my interest I need to know if say GTA7.1 was released tomorrow could I play it with the other bazillion players that would also buy the game and not have problems

Vividz
04-02-2009, 07:04 PM
It's an awesome idea in theory but we're still too far out tech wise for it to be anything other than nerds wet fantasy. For it to even begin to gain my interest I need to know if say GTA7.1 was released tomorrow could I play it with the other bazillion players that would also buy the game and not have problems

The video says that not only is it possible, they are doing it now. They even showed how it works on every console. and it looks as smooth as if you were playing it like any other game out now.

jakncoke
04-02-2009, 10:03 PM
How are they doing it now? I don't believe it, sure they may have tested and it works some controlled theoried environment, but fact is there isn't 10 million players right now trying to play one game so they won't know, i'll stick with my physical media. physical media for life

Vividz
04-02-2009, 11:36 PM
How are they doing it now? I don't believe it, sure they may have tested and it works some controlled theoried environment, but fact is there isn't 10 million players right now trying to play one game so they won't know, i'll stick with my physical media. physical media for life

Heres all you need to know about Onlive:

GDC 2009: OnLive Press Conference - Movies at GameSpot (http://gdc.gamespot.com/video/6206692/gdc-2009-onlive-press-conference?hd=1)

omgodzilla10
04-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Wow, that's awesome! I gotta get that the first day it comes out, but it kinda reminds me of Steam...

KittyCat72
04-09-2009, 10:50 AM
It sounds interesting, but it probably won't be something I'll use. Playing with the actual console sounds like more fun. :-P

jcowns
04-09-2009, 11:19 AM
so looking forward to this

otis
04-10-2009, 02:14 PM
something just doesn't feel quite right about that system.

jakncoke
04-10-2009, 02:14 PM
something just doesn't feel quite right about that system.

indeed.

screwby.

Vividz
04-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Well indeed it doesnt seem possible because no one has done anything like this before. But as i said before it is very possible and im really looking forward to this.

Kujo
04-10-2009, 04:49 PM
I think in theory.... this IS where the gaming world is heading. DLC is gaining popularity at an alarming rate and its only a matter of time before you skip lines at retail stores all together. There are already sites that make a killing selling games via download. And its not just gaming. TV and Movies in general are already available for download via services like Netflx and Hulu, and in some cases, these are streamed live (at the same time they appear on TV). Other sites like one of my favories, MLGPro.com just recently held its first event of the year and broadcasted the entiree thing live via the web... ONLY. This thing was sponsored by freaking ESPN... and they had it air.... ON-LINE.

All in all, digital distribution IS going to be the standard at some point in time. How soon that is remains to be unknown. Just don't be alarmed when future consoles come equipped with TERRABYTE harddrives. With all that downloading we'll be doing, space will fill up quick!

jakncoke
04-10-2009, 04:52 PM
DD future depends on how fast the infrastructure can be built up to speed and how these ISP react. If they continue to drag there feet infrastructure wise and continuecaps it'll be quite awhile, me personally hopes physical media always has a market because me personally likes having the hard copy