PDA

View Full Version : Graphics For A Gaming Forum?

XXXBurningStarIV
04-08-2009, 10:23 AM
See, I've been playing around on my forum with a couple of different things. But it seems like all of the games I choose aren't really well known.
I was wondering. What kind of games should I base the forum around? Any suggestions?
Right now I have the theme of Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly.
I think it looks really really cool. And everyone agrees on the forum. I wanted to know all of your opinions.
Here's the link. ;D
Upah's Gaming Forum (http://upahsgamingforum.heavenforum.com/forum.htm)

LiNuX
04-08-2009, 10:41 AM
I like it but the four butterflies in the background really grab a lot more attention than it should - the point of a background is to be there but it shouldn't take attention away from the main content. The colors are all fine, much better than before, just the background that's messing it up imo. Keep at it :)

XXXBurningStarIV
04-09-2009, 03:10 AM
Well, I'm trying. Lol.
I was told it looks brown. =/ But my computer screen shows it as crimson.

Exodyus
04-09-2009, 10:44 AM
I like it but the four butterflies in the background really grab a lot more attention than it should - the point of a background is to be there but it shouldn't take attention away from the main content. The colors are all fine, much better than before, just the background that's messing it up imo. Keep at it :)

That's a nice way to say it...

Frankly?
It's blotchy. It's bulky. It has no flow.
No color scheme other than 'Tenacious'.

But ... Wow. Wow. The butterflies are gripping. Lol.

XXXBurningStarIV
04-10-2009, 02:59 AM
If you played the game you would understand.

And my computer screen makes it look fine. I see no problem with it.

But my computer also can not see dark pictures.

LiNuX
04-10-2009, 09:39 AM

that's like my old monitor - i use it for my server now so I understand what you mean - but for the rest of us it's really bright-ish

Exodyus
04-10-2009, 01:00 PM

Firstly, this is the internet - and though you base your life around it, I don't care if you like my "personality" or not. -shrug-

You can't ask for advice as an "admin" - if that's what you think you can call yourself because you made a ad-covered forum - and then reject someone's comment because they disagreed with what you ASKED ADVICE FOR!?

That's ridiculous.

You asked for an opinion and I gave you mine, so you gave me negative reputation? Grow. UP.

The forum scheme is ugly. You matched the color of the outline boxes with the post boxes so that them blend together and there's no definition.

And I don't care HOW color blind you are - Magenta, Melon, and LIME GREEN don't go together with repetative frickin' butterflies in the background. -_-

---

Take the image background and blow it up more.
If the image is BIGGER the butterflies come less frequently.
Then drop the opacity so that they're not the center of attention.

Change the outline colors to something other than black and melon, so that you have some separation, other than a blob of color. You need uniformity and "order" to a forum.

And for God Sakes - find a color pallet, or learn what they are.

And Please. Gimmie some negative karma for this post too - since it's opinionated also.

Rookies...

LiNuX
04-10-2009, 09:20 PM
be nice

and I don't think the top ads are her's, she's on a free forum place and they tend to force ads

and I believe everyone has the right to choose what advice to take. and you had no advice in your first post, just full on criticism - not constructive - I'm sure if you gave her some more advice like your second post above, she would have appreciated your opinion a bit more.

gotta learn one way or another, exo just needs to work on his teaching methods :)

and i have to agree with blowing up the butterfly image a bit more, make it appear just once or twice and lower the opacity by at least 50% - it'll look a lot better for the rest of us

even though you see it as crimson on your pc, you have to take your visitors into consideration when working with your site's look.

Exodyus
04-10-2009, 11:08 PM
be nice

and I don't think the top ads are her's, she's on a free forum place and they tend to force ads

That was nice - I didn't say anything about her signature...

And that was exactly my point. She gave me negative karma because "she doesn't like my personality" when she asked for an opinion. Opinions don't have to be constructive at all - they are what they are.

You and I own our own space. WE are admins.
She is still working to become what she can be...

It takes time, patience, and the ability to take crap when necessary for the good of the forum.

I'd never even consider joining a forum that looks like that. It looks unprofessional, like it's kidding itself...