PDA

View Full Version : [Exodian Review] Hints on Console Launch

Exodyus
04-10-2009, 05:37 PM
The CEO of FarCry and Crysis development house Crytek confidently announced the expected DOA of both Sony and Microsoft next-generation consoles during his speech.

Cevat Yerli explained that Crytek have plans to release a new version of its ground-breaking CryEngine which he expects to build on the success of CryEngine 2 by adding more on-screen assets and making them of even better quality. Three to five times better looking according to Yerli.

CryEngine 3 will, Yerli explained, by available in 2012. Until then, gamers should get used to maximum effective gaming resolutions of 1920 x 1080 and 60 frames per second. After which we should expect to see real-time graphics on a par with the kind of CG you get in the latest Pixar animated movies.

The real surprise though was that Yerli went on to say that the arrival of CryEngine 3 and a renaissance of graphics programming will coincide with the release of both the Xbox 720 and PlayStation 4. To be precise he said they will "arrive in 2011 or 2012."

To be fair, Yerli did qualify his remarks as being "just our estimate" and claiming that he didn't know and that if Microsoft and Sony had told him he "couldn't say because it would be under NDA."

The important point being that it would appear Crytek is working to a production schedule that assumes a 3 to 4 year lead time for the next-generation of consoles. And if it is doing that, then others are likely to be doing the same.

Given the historical timelines of both consoles, I'd say that even if Yerli was just talking off the top of his head to get some publicity (and it has worked if so) then the math is sound enough...

I'll be the first to say that I wasn't impressed at ALL with Crysis because of the bugs and glitches and severe lag for no apparent reason - however, this is more of a pin-hit on a time when consoles will emerge.

Better than the random guesstimation of years, this is more localized. I'd go even farther to say that based on a psychological look at this, when saying "or 2012", one might look at this to also, possibly mean, "a late launch on 2011 or spring 2012" because of how most people think.

I don't care as much as when it launches, but more on WHAT GAMES will it launch with?

Time mean nothing if it doesn't have the selection to back the launch.

KittyCat72
04-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Hmmm... I never even heard of the original. I'm not going to get it, but I do agree with you, Exo. It matters more about the games you can choose from when it's out, not the date at which it releases.

omgodzilla10
04-15-2009, 07:52 PM
The Xbox 720?
Wasn't it going to be called the "Xbox 2011"?

Anyway, I hate Crysis too. Really glitchy and laggy.

LemonRising
04-16-2009, 12:20 PM
When you see Xbox 720 you'll walk 720 degrees away and throw up.

I mean.
Oh new consoles.
Woo
They better be ground breaking because it's getting old.