PDA

View Full Version : how to remove parental control

LittleLalleboy
04-25-2009, 09:40 AM
i have a bit of a problem. i have just got an apartment, so i have moved from my mom for 3 months ago. unfortunally is my mom not a fan of me playing wow, so because i had parental control on my account when i lived home, its still there, cause my mom still wont remove it.
so i really need your help, cause i have no idea how to remove it.
so plz post your ideas, good or bad. i am willing to try anything ;)

LiNuX
04-25-2009, 09:57 AM
anything?

reinstall your OS - best way to get rid of it

most likely your mom installed the parental control on the administrator account of the computer - if you can get access into it then you may be able to uninstall the software -

but I vote for wiping hdd and restarting - you'll get rid of a lot of other crap that could negatively affect your computer.

Kitey
04-25-2009, 10:01 AM
That won't work, Linux--parental controls are associated with the account, so they are remote. No matter where he plays, the parental controls are in place. They log you out--they don't close the application.

Break your main and your banker off of the account and onto a new one. Pay for it yourself. Then she has no say.

The rest of your alts shouldn't be affected.

That said, with the stress of a new move and being on your own, are you sure you want to remove the parental controls from the account? Moms know us very well and there is probably a reason she is keeping you on the leash...

LiNuX
04-25-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm not familiar with parental controls since I had all pc control since the start lol - but even if they are remote they have to have some sort of software installed in this system - reinstalling the OS will definitely get rid of it thus breaking the remote control.

Now if it seems your mom blocked your BIOS with a password to stop you from reinstalling the OS, all you have to do is open up your PC, take out the little battery in your motherboard (the bios battery) and leave it out for a few minutes and then put it back in. It'll reset any and all settings in the bios to factory defaults.

Exodyus
04-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Dear Friends,

What you're about to read might be considered friendly ha cki ng, so if you don't like this, then please don't read. Lol.

Goto TrinityHome (.) org

Resetting Windows Passwords - Video (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-1MKkV_xeQI8/resetting_windows_passwords/)

Then go to that page to assist you in using what you're about to download.
You'll need a blank disc for a bootable copy of Trinity Rescue 3.3 and it's also an ISO, so make sure you have something that's able to burn properly.

Download it.
Burn it to Disc.
Put it in and Boot up.

If you follow the video, you'll reset your mom's admin password from her account and you'll be able to access her's.

Then go into Control Panel, Users, and manage other accounts - make yourself admin. Or change her settings.

Kitey
04-25-2009, 11:31 AM
That might work for other games where you have to login locally to make changes to account permissions and where user data is stored on your machine. Not this one.

World of Warcraft Community Site (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/parentalcontrols.xml)
Blizzard Downloads (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/parental-control-faq-small.html)

Your mom can change your game schedules from her desk at work because she manages the account--and your gaming schedule is stored server side. Basically, you would need to get a keylogger to crack the parental control panel if you can't get her to change it or turn the controls off. The only way to control your game time is to manage every aspect of the account privileges yourself, so splitting the account to pay for your own toons is the most expedient solution to the problem.

Parental controls don't lock you out of the game in the conventional fashion, and they don't shut down the app. They prevent you from accessing the servers. The only local user files you have are things such as personalized settings (keybindings, bar setups) and information for your addons--and I think a recent patch has made it so that keybindings and bar modifications that use Blizz's interface (and not an addon) are stored server side as well.

A friend of mine from eons ago knew that this addiction was scary stuff, so he had a friend in game set his parental controls and keep the pword. Sad but true.

LiNuX
04-25-2009, 11:39 AM
wait, this parental control is a game based one? i thought this was a pc based one....didn't even know WoW had this stuff lol

Kitey
04-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Yup. WoW manages a lot of things from its own end and has enormous control over your toons (which are their property; you basically "lease" them). It's also really strict about account access--it's against the ToA to share or transfer ownership of your account and solicitations to sell or trade accounts is an open invitation for a ban. The only way to enforce the ToA is to retain server side control.

Bear in mind too, your account information is linked to the WoW forums. By keeping strict server-side control, they can manage your activities there too.

They will banhammer you fast. Blizz is not playing with you and the ToA.

LiNuX
04-25-2009, 11:52 AM
ah, well that explains what you were talking about

Moving thread back to WoW board - thought the OP was talking about regular blocking.