PDA

View Full Version : Call of duty1 conflicts with cod4 on pc

betuaintgotthis
04-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi i have Cod4 and have been running it without fault for several months. I then decided to purchase the first cod game, After installing i was able to play cod without fault. However when I tried to run cod4 the computer just died and went to blue screen (this only happens whilst entering multiplayer mode). I decided to reinstall cod4 which only moved the same problem over to cod. So now cod4 runs ok but cod1 dies whilst entering multiplayer, single player mode on both the games works fine.
Would be gratefull if any body could help resolve the problem. Tried instaling patches aswell but still problem remains.
Craig

Kitey
04-26-2009, 12:24 PM
When WCIII was crashing on me after upgrading to the Frozen Throne, I had to install each patch update separately. Using the latest patch that gathered them all together was causing the game to crash. I have no idea whether this is your problem, but did you install the patches one at a time?

Maybe it's a Direct X incompatibility?

Flab-Ender
04-26-2009, 01:06 PM
When WCIII was crashing on me after upgrading to the Frozen Throne, I had to install each patch update separately. Using the latest patch that gathered them all together was causing the game to crash. I have no idea whether this is your problem, but did you install the patches one at a time?

Maybe it's a Direct X incompatibility?
I don't think it would be that because he said that it worked fine before. Maybe the games conflict with each other. Wouldn't be sure how that would happen though.

Kitey
04-26-2009, 01:19 PM
I don't think it would be that because he said that it worked fine before. Maybe the games conflict with each other. Wouldn't be sure how that would happen though.When you install the games, they overwrite the Direct X drivers, I think. With each game, the Direct X driver isn't compatible with the other so it crashes.

But he said he had a blue screen, so you're probably right.

Flab-Ender
04-26-2009, 01:34 PM
When you install the games, they overwrite the Direct X drivers, I think. With each game, the Direct X driver isn't compatible with the other so it crashes.

But he said he had a blue screen, so you're probably right.

Ya, that happens to my sims game. But only on my downstairs computer. I think it overheats.

LiNuX
04-26-2009, 02:17 PM
sounds like a software incompatibility but not sure if it's direct x related because single player still works

do CoD games install any other form of software? Perhaps one that goes online for multiplayer?

I don't have the games Myself so I'm not very sure. but it sounds like they are using different versions of the software and one isn't compatible with the other and both versions can't exist in the same pc at the same time without interfering with one another.

and since you get a blue screen it could also be a graphics driver issue - since the games are years apart they use drivers years apart, but it still doesn't explain the single player mode working. so I'm sticking to another software that wasn't mentioned that comes with both games.

betuaintgotthis
04-27-2009, 05:42 AM
I also thought it would be a software problem where both games use the same software for running (maybe some kind of server software). I cant see how direct x could be faulted as single player works without fault and I can not see how single player and multiplayer would effect the 2 games differently as far as direct x is concerned.
Should this be a software problem how can i overcome this?. Can both games be instaled in a way that does not overwrite other files already instaled?

Kitey
04-27-2009, 08:21 AM
How did you patch it? Did you download the latest and use that? If you did, have you tried incremental patches, installing each patch singly?