PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! PS3 or Xbox360?

Vannot
04-26-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm looking to buy a gaming console soon, and I know nothing about them. I've asked a few of my friends what they would recommend and it's become a toss up between a PS3 and an Xbox360. At the moment I'm leaning more towards a 360 because it's cheaper.
So, basically what I'm asking is which console is the best, in your opinion for a complete novice? Which has the wider selection of games (if there's any difference), and which has the better features?

LiNuX
04-26-2009, 04:55 PM
why would you open this in a thread talking about XP and Vista? the next time you do it we'll consider it spam and and ban you.

read the rules and post all threads in the appropriate categories.

Kitey
04-26-2009, 05:51 PM
My choice is guided by a few things. I'm getting a 360.

Beyond the wide range of games, I have a Netflix subscription. The unit will stream Netflix films in addition to playing DVDs and CDs (if you still have those). You don't really need anything else hooked up to your TV except your DVR if you have one.

My brother and a few of my friends have 360s, so I can join their online community. If you have friends you want to play with on one platform or another, that might be a factor to consider. I've heard that the online play is much better than the PS3.

I've heard good things about the range of games. I have a friend who has a PS3, so I'm going to play his box when I want games that are exclusive to that platform.

It's not a case of a platform war. It's weighing what matters to you and making your decision based on that. Graphics, range of games, gameplay, what you played in the past and where your loyalties lie--all of these are critical to figuring out what you will purchase.

Choke On Candy
04-26-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm looking to buy a gaming console soon, and I know nothing about them. I've asked a few of my friends what they would recommend and it's become a toss up between a PS3 and an Xbox360. At the moment I'm leaning more towards a 360 because it's cheaper.
So, basically what I'm asking is which console is the best, in your opinion for a complete novice? Which has the wider selection of games (if there's any difference), and which has the better features?

Okay so hear is a few options to you since I have both. It is worth it money wise less expensive than the ps3. Ps3 with system extra controller game and what not your looking at $700 bucks. You could score a 360 for $200 bucks. It has better chat and party options vs the ps3 you can only talk to someone if your are both playing the same game (given its multiplayer) or on your dashboard in a video chat. You can have up to 7 people in a chat on the 360. Now for the ps3 its a blue ray player also and the graphics are bad ass. Sometimes has games exclusively for ps3 like little big planet was the most top rated game of last year. The @ home is pretty cool there are some game pods where you can hang with people who have the same game you have or you could just dance on people play a crappy few guitar game or fly a plane in the red bull area. 360's break easily so if you get one I suggest you get a warranty or you will regret it later. It's up to you depending on your cash flow. Maybe someday you will have the cash to spring for both...

^ Kitey I have the netflix and it think its kinda gay. You can't get new movies for instant play and it always tells you to re-register you box.

Riku-Nara
04-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Get a 360.
The only way you'd want a ps3, is if you didn't care about online play, graphics are a necessity (the 360 isn't that far behind though), and you enjoy blu-ray. A lot.

Kitey
04-26-2009, 07:08 PM
^ Kitey I have the netflix and it think its kinda gay. You can't get new movies for instant play and it always tells you to re-register you box.

Oh boo. That was one of the things I was rather looking forward to--I like watching movies on demand and sitting at my computer to watch the films on my list isn't terribly comfy. :(

GrandMoff
04-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Definitely, you should buy a PS3. Think about it. Yes, you may be paying more for a PS3, but in the long run, it is worth it. I know it is for me. I enjoy being able to play online without paying fees, and who doesn't like free online gameplay? Really. I believe that is enough said. Buy a PS3.

Riku-Nara
04-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Definitely, you should buy a PS3. Think about it. Yes, you may be paying more for a PS3, but in the long run, it is worth it. I know it is for me. I enjoy being able to play online without paying fees, and who doesn't like free online gameplay? Really. I believe that is enough said. Buy a PS3.

Dude, the 360's online play is cheap in the long run.
Like, 13 cents a day.

jakncoke
04-26-2009, 10:09 PM

50 bucks a year for all that content really isn't that much

Choke On Candy
04-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Oh boo. That was one of the things I was rather looking forward to--I like watching movies on demand and sitting at my computer to watch the films on my list isn't terribly comfy. :(
Don't get me wrong the netflix feature is awesome. They come out with movies every week but just not new ones. I have 130 some movies/TV shows in my queue I'm sure you will like it just fine.

jakncoke
04-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Netflix instant is a nice feature to catch up obscure stuff and watch older stuff that you don't own and don't want to use a hard disc take out on either

Kitey
04-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Netflix instant is a nice feature to catch up obscure stuff and watch older stuff that you don't own and don't want to use a hard disc take out on either
Ah ya--I knew about that part. I'm looking for something to tide me over until the good stuff hits my mailbox--and I have a LOT of movies in my queue. It's the reregistration crap that seems really annoying.

iShikamaru
04-27-2009, 09:51 AM
I say the 360. I've played both, and the PS3 has some nice stuff, graphics, a blue laser inside, et cetera. But the 360 has better online, more online features, and better games.

Kitey, to make the computer more comfy for movie-watching, put a recliner in, get a laptop, move the entire system to the couch, or some-such.

Kitey
04-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Good ideas, all. :D It's the wee screen that is aggravating. I guess I could connect the TV to the computer--especially as that would make PC gaming full of awesome.

Exodyus
04-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Good ideas, all. :D It's the wee screen that is aggravating. I guess I could connect the TV to the computer--especially as that would make PC gaming full of awesome.

Not a good idea, due to the resolution facts. If you try and run graphics or intensive games, movies, etc - through S Video, Movies might work alright, but gaming will turn your TV into a blue screen of Death.

I had a Daewoo TV once, a 19", that I used to play all my games on in my room when I was a wee lad, and in FFVIII, the GF screens of Quezocotl or whatever - the bright intense graphics Blue Screened my TV until the FMV was over. Lol.

Monitors are like 120 for a nice 22" wide screen, that's what I use.
Shop NewEgg or MicroCenter.

Sadly to say, also - I now prefer the 360 over PS3, merely on the gaming facts. All my fan bases moved to 360, therefore it's only obvious that as a fan - I follow.

hidekipooj
05-08-2009, 12:43 AM
I have both and to me they are like children. You can't hate/love one more than the other.

Ps3 Pro's:

Wireless NIC is ALREADY THERE (so you don't have to spend 100 bucks to get a wireless adapater like the 360)
80 GB HDD
FREE online play
PS3 exclusives (metal gear solid IV, uncharted, etc.)
You can easily dual-boot with another O.S. (such as yellow-dog linux)
BLU-RAY!!!!!!!!!
SIX-Axis unique control is implemented in some games

PS3 CONS:
not as many people on the online
400 Dollar price tag
HDD is inside, you can't replace it unless you open it up
can't chat outside interface

360 PROS:
....xbox live=awesome
Multiple HDD's can be supported and swapped out easily
360 exclusives (Lost Odyssey, Dead Rising, Gears of War, etc.)
Cheaper

360 CONS:
Online costs money, not just to get on it but to purcahse the adapter for it.
Noisy.....the 360 is like a 747 taking off compared to the smooth silent hum of the ps3
Circle Scratches-the 360 is notorious for putting scratches on games due to the drive being loose
Red Ring of Death a.k.a. The eye of Sauron: For anyone who has had a 360 for more than two years is probably on their second or third one. The hardware failure rate on the 360 is huge. Due to heating and other problems the 360 can get damaged quite easily and you'll probably have to replace your unit in less than a year or two. Which can actually be pretty expensive in the long run, whereas a ps3 will last your YEARS!!

Samus-Fan
05-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Ps3 Pro's:

Wireless NIC is ALREADY THERE (so you don't have to spend 100 bucks to get a wireless adapater like the 360)
80 GB HDD
FREE online play
PS3 exclusives (metal gear solid IV, uncharted, etc.)
You can easily dual-boot with another O.S. (such as yellow-dog linux)
BLU-RAY!!!!!!!!!
SIX-Axis unique control is implemented in some games

360 CONS:
Online costs money, not just to get on it but to purcahse the adapter for it.
Noisy.....the 360 is like a 747 taking off compared to the smooth silent hum of the ps3
Circle Scratches-the 360 is notorious for putting scratches on games due to the drive being loose
Red Ring of Death a.k.a. The eye of Sauron: For anyone who has had a 360 for more than two years is probably on their second or third one. The hardware failure rate on the 360 is huge. Due to heating and other problems the 360 can get damaged quite easily and you'll probably have to replace your unit in less than a year or two. Which can actually be pretty expensive in the long run, whereas a ps3 will last your YEARS!!

First, the PS3 has HORRIBLE online.
If it goes down- you're down until the company who runs it puts it back up. With Microsoft, their network goes down, like, once every two months, and they have it right back up in less then 10 minutes because Microsoft owns their network, with it being the only one to worry about.

The PS3 exclusives aren't OMGICAN'TLIVEWITHOUT, and the other games for them aren't that great. It doesn't have a wide selection of games.

Like someone said, 13 cents a day, wow, so much. And for that much of a better network, that shouldn't even be a con.

It isn't that noisy, I have a brand new one because my brother wants his so my dad and I had to get a new one. It isn't that loud, it isn't worse then the fan in your computer.

My brother has had his since it came out- no RROD. And with the new version, it almost never happens. That was what the "OMG LOUDNESS" is, the new fan added to stop RROD.

The 360 repair rate isn't big if you take care of it, (The new one) and the PS3 one is about the same. Since Microsoft fixed their major issue for the most part, you can't make it sound like it will happen to every person every week of every year. Our 360 that we've had since it came out isn't showing any problem at all, no need for repair, no indications.

And the wireless adaptor for online, it is called an "ethernet" cable. You just plug it into the back and BAM online, the wireless thing is almost useless since you can route it to most computers, which plug into the wall or wirelessly.

hidekipooj
05-09-2009, 11:56 AM
@Samus:

By not quoting my entire post, you make it look like I'm a ps3 fanboy...either way as I said earlier, both are equally good systems and I posted PRO's and CON's for both, as I see them.

Besides....why choose one or the other? A true gamer would get both...:D

jakncoke
05-09-2009, 02:52 PM
meh don't mind him, he's been a 360 console warrior since forever. Sooner or later he'll grow up and realize how trivial it is to be a console warrior.

Raw!
05-09-2009, 08:48 PM
PS3.
Although I have a 360, PS3 has free-online, same amount of games (almost) and it doesn't break down. It also has Blu-Ray.

Iceskater101
05-09-2009, 10:43 PM
I cant really say one over the other because i havent played the ps3
but I have had my 360 for two years and its been great. I havent had the rrod
and it has great games and pretty good graphics so if I were you i would get a 360

Samus-Fan
05-10-2009, 08:54 AM
@Samus:

By not quoting my entire post, you make it look like I'm a ps3 fanboy...either way as I said earlier, both are equally good systems and I posted PRO's and CON's for both, as I see them.

I quoted what I didn't agree with.
And there were some Cons and some Pros I agreed with on both, I defended the ones I didn't.

And not everyone is rich...
You have to realize not everyone can spend $700+ just on gaming consoles. Think of what else they could use that money for.

Flab-Ender
05-10-2009, 01:00 PM
@Samus:

I true gamer would most likely not have the money for both lol. That's about 1000 bucks right there, let alone any gamers or add ons.

jakncoke
05-10-2009, 09:23 PM
1k isn't a lot for a hobby if you have a job.

Flab-Ender
05-11-2009, 03:12 PM
1k isn't a lot for a hobby if you have a job.

Well maybe some of us don't have a job.

jakncoke
05-11-2009, 07:28 PM
them get one

screwby.
yes 14 yo's can have jobs, just not normals ones.

Flab-Ender
05-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Yes, i know they can get a job, just no one around here is hiring. But I might be able to get one in the summer.

Knibbler
05-12-2009, 04:37 AM
Out of the two you've given as a choice I'd have to say the 360.

A huge game roster.. Just over the 600 mark, not including the 200+ Arcade titles available via the Xbox Live Marketplace. That's compared to the 450 odd games available on the PS3.

I have absolutely no faults with the Xbox Live network either.
I've never had any trouble connecting to any one of my friends and any network issues are usually forwarned and quickly fixed. The PS3 has a huge problem with it's network. Not only is there less of a userbase but it takes forever to connect to friends in-game.

The RRoD was only a major issue for the earlier consoles.. That of which I own and have yet to come across. Microsoft did however act quickly to try and remedy this, not by releasing a new console but by extending the warranty from 1 - 3 years and including the free repair of your console. If they couldn't fix it, they would send you a new one.
For one to say the PS3 is faultless.. well there's a fan-boy if ever I did see one.. you've got system crashes, blu-ray failures to name but a few that I've experienced.

Now before you slate me as being a fan-boy myself, let me give the Sony their dues.

The backwards compatibility for the PS3 is brilliant, i mean heck.. it lets me play Final Fantasy VII so I'm happy!

And Sony have released their fair share of fixes for several problems including their long awaiting, extremely messed up release of Playstation Home.

The graphics for the PS3 are amazing though there really isn't much difference to the Xbox 360, you'd only notice if you were to really look hard for the details.

But pulling away from the fan-boy arguement, I would suggest re-investing in some of the earlier Nintendo consoles. Some great times were had on those awesome machines and are still adored today.

Choke On Candy
05-12-2009, 08:44 AM
On xbl I have connection issues to people all the time. The parties won't connect the games drop. Makes me wanna snap sometimes:eek1:

hidekipooj
05-12-2009, 12:20 PM
The backwards compatibility for the PS3 is brilliant, i mean heck.. it lets me play Final Fantasy VII so I'm happy!

That's only if you picked up a ps3 way back when they were $600-$700

The new 80GB (which are the only ones you can find at retail environments) do not have ps2 compatibility.

Flab-Ender
05-12-2009, 08:33 PM
I do have to say one thing about the 360. I breaks a lot more frequently than the Ps3 and have more features. Just a few things about them.

Samus-Fan
05-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I do have to say one thing about the 360. I breaks a lot more frequently than the Ps3 and have more features. Just a few things about them.

You don't have a PS3...
And, ever since they released the new ones, they barely break.
You set yours on carpet flooring, in a room with a dog (Dog hair and dust).

Flab-Ender
05-12-2009, 08:37 PM
You don't have a PS3...
And, ever since they released the new ones, they barely break.
You set yours on carpet flooring, in a room with a dog (Dog hair and dust).

Well I have heard a lot about them, and my 360 didn't overheat, plus it's not set on the floor.

Samus-Fan
05-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Well I have heard a lot about them, and my 360 didn't overheat, plus it's not set on the floor.

It was on the floor for the past months I have seen it, lol.

Flab-Ender
05-12-2009, 08:41 PM
It was on the floor for the past months I have seen it, lol.

No, it hasn't and it wouldn't matter anyways, it didn't overheat. Being on the floor causes overheating, and mine had a hardware failure.

Samus-Fan
05-12-2009, 08:42 PM
No, it hasn't and it wouldn't matter anyways, it didn't overheat. Being on the floor causes overheating, and mine had a hardware failure.

Ok, just sayin'.

jakncoke
05-12-2009, 10:56 PM
That's only if you picked up a ps3 way back when they were $600-$700

The new 80GB (which are the only ones you can find at retail environments) do not have ps2 compatibility.

160 gb version says hi! and yup PS2 parts went bye bye when Sony were trying to slash and clash there way to breaking even on every unit.

Flab-Ender
05-13-2009, 05:01 PM
160 gb version says hi! and yup PS2 parts went bye bye when Sony were trying to slash and clash there way to breaking even on every unit.

Well that sucks. I like some of those ps2 games and I would want to play them on the ps3 so I don't have to keep that waste of space ps2.

jakncoke
05-13-2009, 08:24 PM
It's not like the PS2 is large and bulky, any who I should start buying up PS2 games lord knows I've missed a zillion and speaking of bulky..I can't wait to till they reduce the size of the PS3 that thing is beastly big

edward78
06-08-2009, 09:53 AM
first off the title of the post original is PS3 or XBOX 360 not for computer operating systems.
and secondly if you go out and buy a 360 i will find you and beat you senseless. why on earth would you want to pay for service with such a shotty system to begin with? think about it? it's MICROSOFT. STAY FAR AWAY. PS3 is FREE the blu ray is FAR SUPERIOR than that of HD for XBOX.
and the game play is insane. not only that but the controller is SOOOO MUCH better and far more ergonomic that the HUGE XBOX car battery controller. with weird buttons situated on every which weird angle.
trust me get a PS3 DON'T waste your money dude.

TheMutzNutz
09-03-2009, 01:06 AM
why on earth would you want to pay for service with such a shotty system to begin with? think about it? it's MICROSOFT. STAY FAR AWAY. PS3 is FREE the blu ray is FAR SUPERIOR than that of HD for XBOX.

Ok so how the hell can you say '' why would you wanna pay for a service ( live ) with such a shoddy system'' ??? Xbox live community is way better than playstations COPYD live service ... Xbox started LIVE in 2002 and playstation had 4 years to make their COPYD service more amazing but failed! Yea ok they rushed the ps2's live for obvious resons but they did a hack job on the ps3's service. I do agree that the Xbox is always breaking ( 54% ) its pathetic, It just depends what you want it for.
Live community : xbox
console reliability: PS3
Games: either way
Graphics and power: PS3
If your a loner than buy a PS3 and you'll be happy
if you have lots of mates and love playing live than theres only 1 console, 360

Street_Soldier69
09-03-2009, 01:15 AM
Ok so how the hell can you say '' why would you wanna pay for a service ( live ) with such a shoddy system'' ??? Xbox live community is way better than playstations COPYD live service ... Xbox started LIVE in 2002 and playstation had 4 years to make their COPYD service more amazing but failed! Yea ok they rushed the ps2's live for obvious resons but they did a hack job on the ps3's service. I do agree that the Xbox is always breaking ( 54% ) its pathetic, It just depends what you want it for.
Live community : xbox
console reliability: PS3
Games: either way
Graphics and power: PS3
If your a loner than buy a PS3 and you'll be happy
if you have lots of mates and love playing live than theres only 1 console, 360 *cough* fanboy

Shixx
09-03-2009, 01:25 AM
You act as if you can't play games with your friends on The PS3.
You can very well and Very Easily, really the only thing Live has that PSN doesn't is Party chat while playing different games(Live is more user Friendly but ehh).
Other then that the online services can do pretty much the same thing.

Street_Soldier69
09-03-2009, 01:30 AM
You act as if you can't play games with your friends on The PS3.
You can very well and Very Easily, really the only thing Live has that PSN doesn't is Party chat while playing different games(Live is more user Friendly but ehh).
Other then that the online services can do pretty much the same thing.
yea, and we are getting party chat also.

atleast sony made a cheaper console and changed it alittle with the slim. xbox has been milking the 360 for like 3 years

TheMutzNutz
09-03-2009, 01:55 AM

atleast sony made a cheaper console and changed it alittle with the slim. xbox has been milking the 360 for like 3 years

COUGH .. fanboy !

Street_Soldier69
09-03-2009, 01:58 AM
COUGH .. fanboy !

??? i have a 360. just just stoped paying for live cause i rather spend my money on other stuff.

TheMutzNutz
09-03-2009, 06:26 AM

You say at least playstation have changed it a bit with the slim OH MY GOD ! are you that stupid ? its that sort of attitude that sony love! its a con a slightly thinner con. Its ditched its cool glossy look with a matte look. The PS3 Slim is smaller. Fine. The PS3 Slim is lighter. Fine. Those two changes justify the name but what real difference is it going to make to your average PS3 owner? I’m not saying the PS3 Slim is a bad product but It only does exactly what our existing machines do. Nothing more, nothing less. Which means this is one machine being massively overhyped.

Shixx
09-03-2009, 01:04 PM
I've never really got the appeal of the Slims either, never owned one.
but it is $100 dollars cheaper whether that's because it's smaller, The Parts are Cheaper or it's a con I dunno.

Anyway I never Answered the Question of this Thread.
If I was going to buy a new system Now it would be the PS3 it's just all around Cheaper and more Reliable after all things are considered.

For example if I buy an Arcade Game on Xbox it's only mine I can't loan it trade it or anything. On the PS3 Sony Will actually Let you share an arcade game with up to 5 different PS3's so what my friends and I do is we pick out a Game, doesn't even have to be an arcade game you can download alot of Full Games now, but anyway we Split the Price 5 ways and save alot of money.

People say the PS3 is the expensive one but Really when it comes down to it the 360 is the one that you have to spend money on

Now if it was 2 years earlier I would get the 360, but now, go with the PS3.

Now hopefully if someone has this Question they come to this Topic instead of making a new one.

Charlotte
03-24-2010, 04:10 AM
ps3 of course, not just it's have arc which will coming soon, plus it' provide us free internet, and also it's have slim version and many more...

NickiViper
04-18-2010, 04:52 PM
loool u have to get ps3!

i swear if you dont get ps3 your crazy

especially choosing xbox 360 over it, ps3 can go online for free and xbox u gotta pay -.-

Foto166
04-18-2010, 11:57 PM
These " PS3/Xbox 360" choices are so hard.... But I would have to say PS3. Better PS3 Store, it has PS Home, Blu-ray, and amazing graphics for games. Plus, free online multiplayer! :laugh: