PDA

View Full Version : Gamestop-questions?

hidekipooj
05-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Hello All!

So I've been trying to think of a good topic to post for my full-blown first topic...and since I have work today that popped into my head. I work as a Senior Game Advisor at a Gamestop in Washington state and I wanted to know if you guys have any questions about how the company is like to work at, how we deem what a games value is, etc. etc.

Do you guys trade in games there? Have you ever had a bad experience or awesome experience? etc., etc.

*I WILL NOT HOWEVER POST VALUES FOR WHAT YOUR GAMES ARE WORTH, SO DON'T EVEN ASK!!!!!*

I get enough of, "how much will i get for this nfl madden 2003?" everyday.

Kitey
05-04-2009, 03:31 PM
DAMN.

I was just about to ask you how much I could get for my (nonworking) copy of Castlevania IV. I was even willing to throw in Zoop to sweeten the deal.

DOUBLE, DOUBLE DAMN.

I've never had a problem when I was trading games. No complaints ever, and I was always dealt with fairly. I just wish I had more room to haggle--sometimes I came with just the game, but sometimes I brought the packaging and instructions, and I don't remember getting a break for that.

hidekipooj
05-04-2009, 03:45 PM
@Kitey

Actually it doesn't matter if you bring the case/instruction booklet or just the game. The value will be the same.

as far as haggling goes...we can't do any at all. Everything is valued through our P.O.S. system, we can't manually change prices.

Samus-Fan
05-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Some of your trade-in values are horrible and you're better off selling the game on eBay or a friend, or even keeping it because of the value Gamestop says they are worth.

Logical
05-04-2009, 04:11 PM
What I never understood about EB Games and Gamestop is that when your trading in games, some times they CHARGE you a refurbishing fee. And I kinda of find it BS, when all of the stores I've been to sell you used games that aren't refurbished at all. All they do is add a case with the text on the cover of what the game is.

So basically, what I'm asking is whtduhfxup?

hidekipooj
05-04-2009, 04:38 PM
@Samus

Agreed. Some of our trade-in values are pretty bad. But for the most part I feel they are pretty average for what you'd get online. You've got to remember as well that some games that are mass-produced every year are going to have crap for value (for example sports titles).

@Logical

When it comes to a refurbishing fee, it's up to the employees discretion. For me personally I always assign a refurb charge anytime the disc contains noticeable scratches or scuffs. We don't charge a refurb fee if the game is caseless. When a game is traded-in with a refurb charge it is then moved to defect and is sent to the corporate offices to be cleaned/buffed. Then when we get them back then we re-sell them. This is to ensure that the game will work for when a new customer purchases it.
As far as games that look fine but don't play, that just happens sometimes. We don't have the time to test every single clean game that gets traded in at the local store.

Samus-Fan
05-04-2009, 04:40 PM
For the most part when it comes to a refurbishing fee, it's up to the employees discretion. For me personally I always assign a refurb charge anytime the disc contains noticeable scratches or scuffs. When a game is traded-in with a refurb charge it is then moved to defect and is sent to the corporate offices to be cleaned/buffed. Then when we get them back then we re-sell them. This is to ensure that the game will work for when a new customer purchases it.
As far as games that look fine but don't play, that just happens sometimes. We don't have the time to test every single clean game that gets traded in at the local store.

I understood my part, makes sense, but on this part, shouldn't you be required to test every game/controller/console whatever to make sure it works?

hidekipooj
05-04-2009, 04:45 PM
I understood my part, makes sense, but on this part, shouldn't you be required to test every game/controller/console whatever to make sure it works?

We do test every controller and console that gets traded into the local store. As well as the HDD's are required to be formatted. Memory cards are a different story.

As far as the used games...it's simply a matter of time. We don't have enough time to check every single game that gets traded in. That's why we have pretty generous return policy for used products (including consoles).

7 days for whatever reason, 30 for defects. most games you can beat in 7 days anyways. lol

jakncoke
05-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Why does my Gamespot feel the need to open new games and place them in sleeves before being sold, this imo is bs.

Kitey
05-04-2009, 10:56 PM
I thought that was to stop shoplifting.

Choke On Candy
05-04-2009, 11:18 PM
I bought a new game the other day. It was already pre-opened they just smacked a round circle to close it up and was like here its new. So I had taken the seal off to look at the booklet and noticed the disk was messed up so I brought it back to store 2 hours later without even playing it yet and they wouldn't swap it out for a new copy. they would only give me a trade in value of $22 bucks even though I was just there 2 hours before so I got angry with the 16 year old punk that was there and was like get your manager on the phone. He was like its his day off....like thats my problem your trying to mess me over you little squeaker. I got it straightened out but im never EVER going back to that gamestop as long as that fool is there.What is wrong with giving someone a new game still sealed up and crap??? Past 3 games I have gotten brand new from gamestop were already opened ...they just put the seal on there and it's like bam!! Brand new...NOT ;(

hidekipooj
05-05-2009, 12:39 AM
aaahhh. The last copy available scenario.....yes....this can get ugly.

Basically to answer jakncoke and Choke: Yes Kitey is right. All games are put in sleeves and then locked up. To prevent theft. Different story though when it comes to new games. For every single brand-new game we get (not traded in) we have to have at least ONE display case for it. So we "gut" the game and put it in a white sleeve to mark it as the "gut" copy and put the empty case out on the floor.

Let's say we get 5 brand new factory sealed Resident Evil 5's. Four will go in the drawer factory sealed under lock n' key, and one will be opened, empty case goes out on the floor, the game goes in a sleeve with the others.

Now let's say 4 customers come in and buy Resident Evil 5. We will sell the factory sealed copies to those customers.

Now 1 more customer comes in and wants Resident Evil 5, and all we have left is the gut copy. I personally inform the customer every time when this incident occurs and let them know that's its our gut-copy, display case, etc, etc. Most people are cool with it, others won't take it. (probably from past experiences) When we sell this copy, we HAVE to put a sealed sticker around the edge. This sealed sticker is supposed to represent the factory seal. If it's broken, we can't do a full return, only exchange.

It sounds like you got poor customer service....I will admit most gamestop employees are pretty......ruthless.

@choke: How was the situation resolved?

Exodyus
05-05-2009, 12:43 AM
The company isn't really anything special or grand, especially to work for.

The Regional Manager for the Midwest looks like Yoda and stands about 5'.

hidekipooj
05-05-2009, 12:56 AM
The company isn't really anything special or grand, especially to work for.

The Regional Manager for the Midwest looks like Yoda and stands about 5'.

Ah...here to trade in games you are yes?

You do have a point Exodyus, its pretty much slave wages. It's not an easy company to work for. Sometimes it feels like a car dealership with all the reservations, prp's, edge subscriptions, and gpg's we are pretty much forced to sell to every customer

"Wanna put 5 bucks down on LIttle's pet shop? Reserve now get a free plushie"

jakncoke
05-05-2009, 01:03 AM
Is it true that employees have quota's on preorders? this would make sense of why gamestop employees rape my ears with a bazillion do you want to preorder this upcoming game every time I walk into a store. Also what's with employees greeting you when you first come in or come over when your browsing and trying to help, I always feel like going into rage mode when they do this...If I wanted to be friendly to basement nerd dwellers that look like they just had a 35 hour WOW session completed or helped by one I'd respond first, is this a gamestop thing or am unfortunate to live in area of over zealous workers?

hidekipooj
05-05-2009, 01:09 AM
Is it true that employees have quota's on preorders? this would make sense of why gamestop employees rape my ears with a bazillion do you want to preorder this upcoming game every time I walk into a store. Also what's with employees greeting you when you first come in or come over when your browsing and trying to help, I always feel like going into rage mode when they do this...If I wanted to be friendly to basement nerd dwellers that look like they just had a 35 hour WOW session completed or helped by one I'd respond first, is this a gamestop thing or am unfortunate to live in area of over zealous workers?

On both counts it's a gamestop thing.

As far as the quota's, we don't make extra money off the amount of pre-orders or edge subscriptions we sell. We do have a percentage goal we kind of have to meet and hours are kind of based off of it. The manager is going to give more hours to the person who shows that they are a "better" employee. (edit) Better employee meaning the person who has the highest percentages Also as far as the exuberant greeting. Have you ever worked retail? That's the first thing that is forced down your throat in any retail environment. Greet the customer within 10 seconds of walking in.

jakncoke
05-05-2009, 01:17 AM
I've been to countless amounts of stores that aren't that way, and I want that trend to stay that way.

hidekipooj
05-05-2009, 01:33 AM
In the last three years, I've worked 4 retail environments. And every single one enforced the practice of greeting the customer asap. I agree from a customers perspective it can be annoying, but if it's something that isn't done when the manager is present, the employee gets a talking to later. That's why they do it....all....the.....time.

Shixx
05-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Also a higher % of people think it's rude if they don't talk to them in the first 10 sec, especially parents.
(I guess they don't want me to buy anything sense they haven't said anything) retarded? yes. I managed a Gamestop for a year, it was fun, I don't think I would do it much longer though.

Choke On Candy
05-05-2009, 07:57 AM
aaahhh. The last copy available scenario.....yes....this can get ugly.

Basically to answer jakncoke and Choke: Yes Kitey is right. All games are put in sleeves and then locked up. To prevent theft. Different story though when it comes to new games. For every single brand-new game we get (not traded in) we have to have at least ONE display case for it. So we "gut" the game and put it in a white sleeve to mark it as the "gut" copy and put the empty case out on the floor.

Let's say we get 5 brand new factory sealed Resident Evil 5's. Four will go in the drawer factory sealed under lock n' key, and one will be opened, empty case goes out on the floor, the game goes in a sleeve with the others.

Now let's say 4 customers come in and buy Resident Evil 5. We will sell the factory sealed copies to those customers.

Now 1 more customer comes in and wants Resident Evil 5, and all we have left is the gut copy. I personally inform the customer every time when this incident occurs and let them know that's its our gut-copy, display case, etc, etc. Most people are cool with it, others won't take it. (probably from past experiences) When we sell this copy, we HAVE to put a sealed sticker around the edge. This sealed sticker is supposed to represent the factory seal. If it's broken, we can't do a full return, only exchange.

It sounds like you got poor customer service....I will admit most gamestop employees are pretty......ruthless.

@choke: How was the situation resolved?

I was able to swap it out for a different game same price since they weren't able to give me the same exact one. Also I went to game stop as soon as they opened to pick up my guitar hero metallica. Had it pre-ordered and was first in the store that day and I received an open copy. Just leave it sealed up!

hidekipooj
05-05-2009, 08:28 AM
hmm.....that's weird they would give you the un-sealed copy first. Must have been a noob G.A.

Choke On Candy
05-05-2009, 08:41 AM
hmm.....that's weird they would give you the un-sealed copy first. Must have been a noob G.A.
It's the same kid every time I go there. He is just shady. In my area people have been burning fake game discs and taking them back to stores and shops. So it's the thing now that you have to fill out a form,give your license and your thumb prints on a couple pages. When this kid is there I don't have to fill out the form or even produce a DL. Everywhere else I trade always asks. Not noob shady person. I trade-in and purchase new games all the time at least once a week and this guy is straight up making game stop look BAD.

EpsilonX
05-05-2009, 11:22 AM
One time i was at a gamestop and I was watching them stock Unreal Tournament 3 when it came out, they opened the game, put the game in a little paper sleeve, and put the case on the shelf. That's how they do it at all the gamestops ive ever been to.

oh, and someday i'm gonna go into a gamestop and try to avoid being greeted. See how long it takes them

hidekipooj
05-05-2009, 11:22 AM
thumb prints? That's odd. For us we just have to take an I.D. number for every trade-in.

As far as this shady-guy. I would ask to speak to the manager privately about it. I would at least.

@epsilon

HAHAHA good luck with that. I say......2 minutes, tops.

Choke On Candy
05-05-2009, 01:39 PM
thumb prints? That's odd. For us we just have to take an I.D. number for every trade-in.

As far as this shady-guy. I would ask to speak to the manager privately about it. I would at least.

@epsilon

I don't think its odd. Friend of mine bought a ghwt complete bundle from target brought it home and it had a fake disc in it. They wouldn't take it back and they called the cops on her. People buy the real deal make a fake disc and have the means of sealing it back up like new. Making a killing so you give fingerprints when you trade so they can find you if you sell fake discs.

EpsilonX
05-05-2009, 02:28 PM

i will succeed! :D:D

Exodyus
05-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Just another reason why Gamestop sucks.

GameStop accused of deceiving consumers
by Ben Silverman

Buzz up!218 votes

What if you bought a new product only to discover that it had been previously used by someone else?

According to gaming blog Kotaku, repackaging used games as new games is far from an uncommon occurrence at GameStop, the world's largest video game retailer. If indeed true, the long-rumored practice could be considered deceptive marketing and deemed illegal by the FTC.

Gamestop
Kotaku asserts that the problem stems from GameStop's "check-out" policy. To prevent theft, store shelves are populated with empty game boxes. Store employees are allowed to then "check-out" the game discs for up to four days. Citing multiple sources within GameStop, Kotaku claims that often those used games are then mixed in with truly unplayed discs, resulting in consumers potentially paying premium prices for used games -- roughly a $5 difference.

When pressed by the site, GameStop's Chris Olivera, VP of Corporate Communications, offered a no-comment comment.

"We do not comment on corporate policies that are competitive in nature," he said. "As your questions relate to company training, operations and discounting practices, I would not be able to provide feedback."

Similarly, the FTC noted that as a rule, they couldn't confirm or deny whether or not an investigation was underway or pending.

hidekipooj
05-07-2009, 11:56 AM
@exodyus

a.) I can't speak for all gamestop stores, but at mine all games are put into two different areas depending on if they are used or not.

b.) Gamestop hasn't done the check-out thing in a while, only store managers are allowed to take specific products home such as demo's etc.

c.) When the check-out thing was incorporated only USED games were allowed to be taken out.

....forum jackass indeed. lol

jakncoke
05-07-2009, 11:59 AM
the only thing gamestop is good for is feasting on cheap games that suckers traded in

Exodyus
05-07-2009, 12:52 PM
I agree, and that wasn't even a jackass comment, you tool.
That was a direct quote from the Yahoo! News about your pathetic company lying to it's customers.

If you want, I'll spend a little more time railing on you because your company does enough damage to itself by just selling junk for too expensive and trades for worthless pricing.

Choke On Candy
05-08-2009, 11:02 AM
I agree, and that wasn't even a jackass comment, you tool.
That was a direct quote from the Yahoo! News about your pathetic company lying to it's customers.

If you want, I'll spend a little more time railing on you because your company does enough damage to itself by just selling junk for too expensive and trades for worthless pricing.
Why you hating on the messenger?

Kujo
05-08-2009, 12:20 PM
... because your company does enough damage to itself by just selling junk for too expensive and trades for worthless pricing.

I can't believe what I'm about to type but, I completely agree with Exodyus on this one. Gamestop trade-in values are ridiculous. Whenever I decide that a game I have will no longer be enjoyed, I just advertise to my buddies on post. $20 from a friend > $6 from Gamestop.

I am lucky enough however, that my local Gamestop has never done me wrong when it comes to me buying a new game. They've always been factory sealed in my experiances. /Knock on wood

hidekipooj
05-08-2009, 12:37 PM

es cool. I can take the heat. I get crap from my other gamer friends for working for 'em anywayz.

jakncoke
05-08-2009, 02:44 PM

because the messenger is showing too much <3 for gamestop, he should join the hivemind and talk **** about it as well, down with gamestop, I welcome the new overlord that takes gs down

hidekipooj
05-09-2009, 12:10 PM
because the messenger is showing too much <3 for gamestop,

HAHAHA.....I bet all of you think I'm a just a mindless corporate zombie

This topic's original intent was to answer all of your questions as to how the company (or at the very least the store that I work @) operates.

Just because I work there doesn't necessarily mean I <3 my job more than life itself.

I myself too get disgusted when someone wants to trade in something they just bought a week ago for $59.99 only to see it's value go down 80%. But for the MOST part, customers don't seem to care when they are @ the counter.
There's a very good reason why the company has posted profitable for the last 3 quarters, even during this "economic crisis".

Also for anyone out there who has applied or ever wanted to work there. It's not a place for the average gamer, it's a salespersons job (WITHOUT COMMISSION I might add). You have to slave every freaking day to meet the percentage goals of your employer as well as maintain a constant friendliness while dealing with a barrage of stupid-a$$ questions from little kids-all the way to older-adults asking you about their wii, meanwhile doing Title on Hand counts and making cases while re-re-re-re-re-arranging the walls every 15 minutes to fill the holes that the previously bought cases left. It's a b*tch and a half.

So to anyone on this forum who thinks I'm a gamestop fanboy, I'll keep my comments about the company limited.

Any more questions?:laugh:

Kujo
05-09-2009, 01:58 PM
oh, and someday i'm gonna go into a gamestop and try to avoid being greeted. See how long it takes them

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I went in to my local GameStop to find a replacement controller for my 360 and I walked all the way around the store, browsed some used games, and tried some demos before purchasing my controller and only then was I asked if I found everything ok.

Total time in store: 20minutes.
Total "greetings: ZERO

hidekipooj
05-09-2009, 02:42 PM
@kujo

NICE!!!!

twister
06-19-2009, 09:05 PM
MOD Your System

Exodyus
06-19-2009, 09:08 PM
MOD Your System

Voteban dis nub.

twister
06-19-2009, 09:51 PM
My bad.. Sorry Justa joke:(

Exodyus
06-19-2009, 10:13 PM
My bad.. Sorry Justa joke:(

-eyes suspiciously-

I thought you were a spam-bot.
Next time, post something relevant to the thread, like how much you hate Gamestop for hiring wildabeastly, fat men to smell like BO and try to sell you their favorite games instead of what you want.

Ick. Shawnee, Kansas -- Gamestop offa' Shawnee Mission Parkway.
Look it up sometime, GS boy. There's a 300 pound man with a warthog mug that works in this place and he smells like decayed animals are stuck in his rolls.

twister
06-19-2009, 10:26 PM
LOL well said !! Will do !

EpsilonX
06-20-2009, 12:41 AM
haha.

@ kujo: i'm going to go into the smallest gamestop i can find and do that. actually, i know a gamestop (well, EB games) where it just has 2 people working behind a counter and they ignore everyone that comes in, so that won't count

@exo: lmfao you made my night. now i can finally go to bed happily

hidekipooj
06-20-2009, 03:16 PM
-eyes suspiciously-

Ick. Shawnee, Kansas -- Gamestop offa' Shawnee Mission Parkway.
Look it up sometime, GS boy. There's a 300 pound man with a warthog mug that works in this place and he smells like decayed animals are stuck in his rolls.

eeewwwwww...... I just threw up my teriyaki.

Choke On Candy
06-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Is it a bad thing to insult a clerk who knows nothing about the sales going on?? Every time I go in there they have to look it up in the book to make sure its valid. Like seriously!! I made this 17 year old punk feel like garbage after he couldn't find the sale in the book and was like yo guy its above your head on a display. DUH

Exkiezie
08-12-2009, 07:31 AM
First thing that comes to my head when i think of gamestop is overpriced i remember going back when i had n64 to sell some games i had the boxes and everything a year after n64 came out i tried selling zelda and goldeneye the guy told me he would give me 75 cents for zelda and 50 cents for goldeneye if they where working........ JOKING RIGHT no peace late

RaiDae
08-12-2009, 01:53 PM
.... feeling slightly deprieved. we don't have a gamestop. We have gamestation instead. But it's pretty much the same. very little money for decent games. :( And i got my store card thingy stolen. i had like £60 of credit and i can't ever get it back. If i ever meet the bus driver who i think stole my wallet, i'm gonna ****ing kill him. ****

But the people who work at our version of gamestop are pretty awesome. I go in there when it's not that busy just for chats. XD

Trunks
08-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Every new game I've bought from GS was factory sealed.

also, one thing that i hate about gamestop is that they put the dumb price tags on the Title paper. It's not on the plastic, so you can't just take it off. It's on the actual piece of paper that's inside the see through plastic part. What's the point of that? Just put it on the damn plastic. There is even two of them. One is on the back, it that covers the old bar code which is on the plastic. That's fine, I understand that, But then their is one on the side of the case, on the paper. Why do you need to bar codes and why does it have to be on the paper part.? Makes the game case look junky, I like my game cases in good condition without stickers all over them.

Samus-Fan
08-13-2009, 06:59 PM
I already found out I love The Exchange better.
Brand New Resident Evil 5, un-opened from Gamestop-60 bucks.
Brand New Resident Evil 5, un-opened from The Exchange-50 bucks.

MissLEGENDARY
08-16-2009, 12:30 AM
I don't really like game stop much. The last time I went there I bought a used copy of Fable 2 I brought it home and my xbox wouldn't read it. So I returned it to the store I bought it from 3 times and had the same problem. I got frustrated and went to the game stop across town and got a working copy. Apparently my console doesn't like refurbished games. But I will be going to the gamestop across town from now on...the manager was very nice and knew what he was talking about.

no2rious killa
08-16-2009, 01:33 AM
I would like the place a lot better if you weren't asked 100 times to pre order from the time you walk in to the time your trying to run free. Heavan forbid a second person rings ur stuff up. Don't forget the "Lingerers" I get you play video games...so do I. I'm in gamestop. But I have the internet as well, and don't care what you think your the only person to know. Employees should be allowed to throw em out after like an hour.

I can only imagine how crazy that drives the people that work there who have to act nice to em.

jakncoke
08-16-2009, 01:45 AM
Yeah I'd get p'd off as well at the people that come in just hang about because they are such losers that they can't come up with something better to do with there time other than hang out at a gamestop