PDA

View Full Version : No new systems before '13?

Exodyus
05-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Analyst: Hi-def Wii in 2010, next-gen won't start until 2013

Not thrilled with the current crop of game consoles? Looks like you better get used to it.

Pachter says next gen is a long way off. Assuming, that is, you believe leading industry analyst Michael Pachter of Wedbush Morgan Securities, who predicts that we won't be seeing the next generation of home game consoles for about four more years.

"We do not expect the 'next' generation to begin before 2013, if at all," he said in a newsletter. "We remain convinced that the publishers will resist the introduction of any video game hardware technology that requires a refresh of software, as the publishers have as yet to capitalize on the immense investments made in being competitive in the current cycle."

However, Pachter makes one rather large exception: the long-awaited HD version of the Nintendo Wii, which he believes could hit shelves in 2010. Despite its runaway success, the Wii is relatively underpowered compared to the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 and remains the only one of the three that doesn't support HDTVs (clarification: the Wii works fine with hi-def sets, but does not output in true HD). While it might not change the system's power limitations, the ability to output in HD would at least close the technical gap a bit.

If you think one analyst's claims don’t mean much, you should probably take a look at Pachter's track record, which is actually pretty impressive.

Supposedly, we're not getting anymore - which I think will actually be refreshing. It will give companies time to come out with a good, solid product that doesn't end up burning people...

Also, sounds good for the Wii that it's getting an over-haul. I think they should boost a little performance while they have the system open, but that's just me.

Remember ... when consoles were consoles? Not computers?

Kitey
05-07-2009, 10:51 AM
the publishers have as yet to capitalize on the immense investments made in being competitive in the current cycle.
Hm. A good thing.

Also, there may be a change in how game development works--I'm looking for the article but I can't find it. I'll post it when I do. Right now, game developers need to count on a once-in-a-million blockbuster hit to carry the company. The problem is that almost every game requires massive resources--artists, storywriters, marketing. To make its numbers, every company MUST have a GTA, or a Halo, or a WoW to make sure that it stays afloat (much less turns a profit). If it sucks, it represents a HUGE loss.

Games are currently produced similarly to movies--huge hit to balance many smaller, suckier projects. But that formula doesn't work for the industry--it exposes it to too much risk.

Instead, there's a thought (and I swear I'll find it) that we need to return to smaller, independently developed games to capitalize on widespread genius. We'll have more games, and they won't be quite as flashy, but they'll be like Portal--pure genius in a smaller package.

Exodyus
05-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Hi honey! I missed you! ;D Wall me!

As far as disagreeing with you, I can't. Lol. You're completely right. I honestly prefer independent games because they have added value to them and depth that most other big-name companies would drop because of the lacking funds or the scare that they might not reap what they've sown.

I loved XenoSaga 1 and 2, and then announcing that they wouldn't make the 8th, they packed 3 with a ton of stupid **** and then bailed on the project.

I <3 KOS MOS.

jakncoke
05-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Pachter is moron and has been wrong plenty over the past 2-3 years, I would take his word with a grain of salt. imo it won't wait till 2013 to get the new Xbox/PS and I also don't think that Wii will get and HD shot in 2010. imo i think they'll all land around winter 2011/spring 2012

Jjjet1
05-07-2009, 11:13 AM
I personally like this crop of 'next gen' consoles. I don't see how you could make any better ones unless they some how had screens on them and could create their own power.

jakncoke
05-07-2009, 11:15 AM
well I like them as well, but they aren't the end all be all, there is plenty of areas that could use an improvement here and there

hidekipooj
05-07-2009, 11:15 AM
It's not a next-gen console but the "PSP Go" will be coming out probably at the end of this year.

jakncoke
05-07-2009, 11:17 AM
speaking of PSP, I wonder how long Sony will throw these improvements on the system, i mean hell there was what? the phat, 2000, 3000, and now GO? Will they ever release a official #2?

Exodyus
05-07-2009, 11:18 AM
PSP is pretty crappy, I think. I'm not really a fan of that hand held.

And I wouldn't mind a break from the console wars. Give them time to get their heads screwed on facing the front.

jakncoke
05-07-2009, 11:19 AM

And I wouldn't mind a break from the console wars. Give them time to get their heads screwed on facing the front.

Will never end, there's an endless supply of console warriors

hidekipooj
05-07-2009, 11:20 AM

I disagree with you there sir.
There is so much more you can do with even a psp phat compared to other portables on the market.

Jjjet1
05-07-2009, 11:33 AM
I like my DS. It play Pokemon Pearl! I'm pretty sure the PSP does not! ;)

hidekipooj
05-07-2009, 11:42 AM
And I can play all of the pokemon games up to the ds titles on my psp....:twitcy:

Exodyus
05-07-2009, 11:44 AM
I disagree with you there sir.
There is so much more you can do with even a psp phat compared to other portables on the market.

I hate to break it to you, buck-Oh. But I don't care.

You can disapprove of my opinion all you'd like. It's still what I think. PSP sucks.

jakncoke
05-07-2009, 11:54 AM
and here I come with mine, choo both lose. both handhelds sucks equally and hard

hidekipooj
05-07-2009, 11:59 AM
and here I come with mine, choo both lose. both handhelds sucks equally and hard

You're right. What am i thinking defending the psp. Sega Gamegear all the way.

jakncoke
05-07-2009, 12:00 PM
you can keep the sega batteryeater to yourself self as well. all handhelds ftl

Exodyus
05-07-2009, 01:35 PM
/shrug

I love my DS. <3

Iceskater101
05-07-2009, 06:38 PM
/shrug

I love my DS. <3

me to I just got one a few weeks ago and I like it a lot.
I mean maybe I would consider getting a psp but i am impressed with the ds

AngelOffDarkness
08-04-2009, 11:53 AM
nowin 2009 x 360 ps3 an pc the games like assasins creeds 2 mafia 2 crysys and a lot of more have grapichs like the real world

Exkiezie
08-12-2009, 01:49 AM
Those pesky analysts are at it again, and this time it's serious: Evan Wilson of Pacific Crest Securities says we can expect a sequel to the Wii in 2010, to be followed by a new Xbox later that year. Obviously it's something on the minds of all three of the gaming hardware giants -- in fact, Gizmondo probably has 2010 in its sights as well -- but there's really no telling at this point how accurate this rumor is. What we have heard are some conjectures before now that Nintendo has a shorter life cycle in mind for its graphics-impaired Wii. Also, Microsoft obviously made a huge bet this generation on hitting a year before the competition, and has done alright for itself in the process, so Microsoft might be looking for a repeat. There's no rumor yet on Sony's PS4 plans, but while the company has its hands full at the moment with its purported 2008 comeback, we're sure they're keeping this all in mind. Wilson also predicts a new Nintendo DS and PSP in 2010, meaning any way you slice it you're going need a second mortgage.

xmtxm
09-13-2009, 12:10 AM
If xbox and play-station joined together they could create a really good system.

hidekipooj
09-13-2009, 12:13 AM
if sony and playstation were to meet up. It would be a nuclear explosion.

Think about it.

(Hey guys! Been a while since I've been on)

Street_Soldier69
09-13-2009, 01:04 AM
I will always fight for Playstation.

"tonight we dine, in HOME!!!!"

"xbox's console will block out the sun!"
"then we'll fight in the shade!"

EpsilonX
09-13-2009, 01:04 AM
i don't want any new systems. PS3/360/Wii is fine. and the wii has some pretty good graphics on some games.

TheMutzNutz
09-13-2009, 04:06 AM
There will be no new Xbox system or no PS4 any time in the next 5 years + ... why would they bring out a console in the middle of a ressesion ? , There are just add on's like project natal etc etc.

TheMutzNutz
09-13-2009, 04:07 AM
I will always fight for Playstation.

"tonight we dine, in HOME!!!!"

"xbox's console will block out the sun!"
"then we'll fight in the shade!"

You are sooo cheeky ! calling me a fanboy listen to u ... total FANBOY. get a grip.

Street_Soldier69
09-13-2009, 02:42 PM
You are sooo cheeky ! calling me a fanboy listen to u ... total FANBOY. get a grip.

its a stupid 300 joke, your a fanboy, back off.

Kujo
09-13-2009, 04:44 PM
I personally don't care either way. Brand new system could come out tomorrow and I still wouldn't buy it until developers completely neglected current-gen systems. Graphically speaking, there is only so much more that can be done. Games like Uncharted 2 and GTA 4 are pushing system limits and those games look AMAZING! Yes, i realize the same thing was said 10 years ago (to the day as of the 9th) about the dreamcast an how games would never look better than they did. With that being said tho, without games becomming photorealistic, I don't forsee many improvments in that area.

Street_Soldier69
09-13-2009, 04:51 PM
I personally don't care either way. Brand new system could come out tomorrow and I still wouldn't buy it until developers completely neglected current-gen systems. Graphically speaking, there is only so much more that can be done. Games like Uncharted 2 and GTA 4 are pushing system limits and those games look AMAZING! Yes, i realize the same thing was said 10 years ago (to the day as of the 9th) about the dreamcast an how games would never look better than they did. With that being said tho, without games becomming photorealistic, I don't forsee many improvments in that area.

i knwo what you mean, games are starting to use that "dirty/black" look and it looks realer than life itself, soon video games will become reality, who knows they come develop a game like that movie, "Gamer" where there is no controller, and you really have to do stuff. idk i just see the video game franchises getting to ahead of theyre selfs and they are gonna just crash and burn. i vote fro DIG DUG online!!!

TheMutzNutz
09-15-2009, 03:20 AM
its a stupid 300 joke, your a fanboy, back off.

I dont know why u post here ? its a DEBATE forum ... u cant have a debate with somone who is a buyest ! have you actualy posted a comment that dosent put a downer on somthing that someone says.!

Street_Soldier69
09-15-2009, 03:27 AM
I dont know why u post here ? its a DEBATE forum ... u cant have a debate with somone who is a buyest ! have you actualy posted a comment that dosent put a downer on somthing that someone says.!

you dont know sh*t, cause you been here what.... 12 days or sumfin... o wow, i dont really giv a sh*t about wat you say about me cause your stupid comments dont matter, so 1. either shutup and dont leave childish comments like that again, or 2. leave .... pick one.

: : EDIT : :
You also need to start following the rules and stop double posting.

LemonRising
09-15-2009, 09:35 AM
May I jump in and just say:

YOU'RE A FANBOY

NOOOO YOU'RRRRREEEEE A FANBOY

NO YOU ARE

NOO YOUUU

Come on guys, lets keep this a little more mature.
I DONT WANT TO HEAR WHO STARTED IT.

AS YOUR FORUM MOTHER I AM FINISHING IT.
>B(

Also, I agree with Kujo. I think at the moment, the boundaries have been pushed and there have been great improvements. It would be silly to push for new consoles for games that are 'a little better'.
Plus, I know a ton of people who still use the PS2 as their main console.
And Microsoft is coming up with that motion thing for the Xbox 360 (I forgot the nameeee), so it shows that there may be much more to explore for these consoles anyways.
Basically, I'm in no rush to see anything new at the moment, especially when I don't even have any of the new consoles.

EpsilonX
09-15-2009, 01:35 PM
i think they should go back to wii-style play, where it's all about the innovation and working with less. Nowadays they can do anything with the graphics. Older games were cool because they worked with what they had. Did you know that they originally put fog in silent hill to mask the short draw distance? I hope they keep HD though

Exodyus
09-15-2009, 04:58 PM
you dont know sh*t, cause you been here what.... 12 days or sumfin... o wow, i dont really giv a sh*t about wat you say about me cause your stupid comments dont matter, so 1. either shutup and dont leave childish comments like that again, or 2. leave .... pick one.

: : EDIT : :
You also need to start following the rules and stop double posting.

Pretending like you're a veteran hard-ass on the internet alone, is ridiculous enough. On top of that, the guy is right about what he said -- it's a debate and he has the right to speak his mind without some immature little parent-stain coming around and swearing at him without giving any real definition or argument back to the topic.

This post above is declaring your untimely fail.

You've been here what -- two months? If that?
And you're already acting like a total tool. Pfft...

i think they should go back to wii-style play, where it's all about the innovation and working with less. Nowadays they can do anything with the graphics. Older games were cool because they worked with what they had. Did you know that they originally put fog in silent hill to mask the short draw distance? I hope they keep HD though

While I dig the Wii's innovative status, the games and jerky motions that the gyroscopes bring to the table, I feel are a bit of a short-coming, however -- the technology is still new and being developed.

I think in the future, it'll be the way things go. "Gamer (the movie) style" where people are more active in playing.

RaiDae
09-15-2009, 05:09 PM
I like things the way they are now. As much as VR (for i assume, that's what "gamer (the movie) style" is) would be awesome, it would take away the fun and the fantasy element of the game. I want to be able to easily distunguish life from game. I think where we are is a nice level. Still obviously a game, but realistic enough to engross.

Street_Soldier69
09-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Pretending like you're a veteran hard-ass on the internet alone, is ridiculous enough. On top of that, the guy is right about what he said -- it's a debate and he has the right to speak his mind without some immature little parent-stain coming around and swearing at him without giving any real definition or argument back to the topic.

This post above is declaring your untimely fail.

You've been here what -- two months? If that?
And you're already acting like a total tool. Pfft...

While I dig the Wii's innovative status, the games and jerky motions that the gyroscopes bring to the table, I feel are a bit of a short-coming, however -- the technology is still new and being developed.

ya.... i never said i was, and do you even read the post before saying stuff? cause i wasnt bothering him any, he the one that make the comment first, go bother someone else.
------------------------------
i like the games the way they are, i wouldnt change a thing.

EpsilonX
09-15-2009, 09:41 PM
well Exo what i meant by Wii style was gameplay first. nowadays it seems like graphics is most important. I'd rather play a great game with average graphics than a just good game with great graphics

Exodyus
09-17-2009, 11:19 AM
ya.... i never said i was, and do you even read the post before saying stuff? cause i wasnt bothering him any, he the one that make the comment first, go bother someone else.
------------------------------
i like the games the way they are, i wouldnt change a thing.

1. Little boy, take into account who created this thread. ;)

2. Also take into account, that you took his words the wrong way -- because when I read it, it wasn't attacking, assaulting, or aggravating in the slightest.

3. Check my forum title. Then check my infraction record. Lol. If I've got something to say, you'd better believe I'll rock your world if you step out of line.

well Exo what i meant by Wii style was gameplay first. nowadays it seems like graphics is most important. I'd rather play a great game with average graphics than a just good game with great graphics

And I agree with you 150% on that, Epps.
That's why I still rock the old PS games and some DS games, because the graphics may not be up to snuff, but the story is frakkin' amazing. I dig it.

Sadly, with the decline of human intellect and the average national reading level, I think people are "dumbing" games down to fit the retarded population.

Street_Soldier69
09-17-2009, 08:34 PM
1. Little boy, take into account who created this thread.

does calling me little boy make you feel more mature?? good for you :)

i still play my old title and new titles, i dont really want a change, its all good to me.

Trunks
09-17-2009, 08:49 PM
does calling me little boy make you fell more mature?? good for you :)

I dunno, but it made me lol

I think game developers should take their time. They don't need to bring a new console out every 3 years or so. No one wants a console that has a lot of fault and breaks down. I'll probably stick with Microsoft for the next gen consoles though. I attached to it ever since I got it instead of the ps3, because it was like 900 dollars on eBay.

Street_Soldier69
09-17-2009, 08:53 PM
I dunno, but it made me lol

I think game developers should take their time. They don't need to bring a new console out every 3 years or so. No one wants a console that has a lot of fault and breaks down. I'll probably stick with Microsoft for the next gen consoles though. I attached to it ever since I got it instead of the ps3, because it was like 900 dollars on eBay.

ya, the PS3 kinda got screwed with their over priced console, imagine the next console they develop, price range 1,000+ maybe?? i dont know.

lol, your 16 your a little boytoo.

Trunks
09-17-2009, 08:56 PM
ya, the PS3 kinda got screwed with their over priced console, imagine the next console they develop, price range 1,000+ maybe?? i dont know.

lol, your 16 your a little boytoo.

*You're*
and I don't act like it though.

And yeah, the PS3 got up to that on eBay, I think I saw one around 1,200. I got my 360 for $500 from Walmart, so The next-gen consoles will probably be around that same price as the current-gen. Who knows, by 2013, the economy could be in a slump and it will be like $100 dollars haha. That is if we don't all die in 2012, but that's another story.

Street_Soldier69
09-17-2009, 08:59 PM
*You're*
and I don't act like it though.

And yeah, the PS3 got up to that on eBay, I think I saw one around 1,200. I got my 360 for $500 from Walmart, so The next-gen consoles will probably be around that same price as the current-gen. Who knows, by 2013, the economy could be in a slump and it will be like $100 dollars haha. That is if we don't all die in 2012, but that's another story.

i dont even buy my systems anymore, i just trade them. im trading my friend my old xbox for his DS.
$100 for a console, hah, that'le be the day. i guess satan will have to come up here, cause hell is gonna be an ice skating rink.

Exodyus
09-18-2009, 08:55 PM
does calling me little boy make you fell more mature?? good for you :)

i still play my old title and new titles, i dont really want a change, its all good to me.

Yes. I fell so much more mature and older.

Frickin' troll. Lol.

@ Trunks.

The price of the next-gen consoles will probably be through the roof, at this rate. To start at 500-600, is the same as buying a computer that's way better than the system and getting a controller, too. Lol

Street_Soldier69
09-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Yes. I fell so much more mature and older.

Frickin' troll. Lol.

@ Trunks.

The price of the next-gen consoles will probably be through the roof, at this rate. To start at 500-600, is the same as buying a computer that's way better than the system and getting a controller, too. Lol

:) thank you for pointing my error out. ill correct it.

whenever the next-gen consoles come, i hope playstation sticks with their original controller, its so classic, and it feels great in your hands.

Endgameko
05-29-2010, 12:57 AM
Have to admit I am dissapointed. I enjoy it when companies bring out consoles with epic fail, cus i buy them and get to complain about them! But if a company could come up with the ultimate gaming machine, i wouldn't exactly be complaining either :)

Iceskater101
05-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Have to admit I am dissapointed. I enjoy it when companies bring out consoles with epic fail, cus i buy them and get to complain about them! But if a company could come up with the ultimate gaming machine, i wouldn't exactly be complaining either :)

ok wait a minute
you enjoy buying 500 dollar consoles and having them break down
so you can complain about them?
interesting