PDA

View Full Version : General Info Downloading Counter Strike as I type.....

ambergris
06-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Never played an online PC game before so this should be interesting.

Played UT 2004 & Halo on PC but not online.

All tips welcome. :wub:

Edited to add:

Now downloading CS-Source with Garry's Mod so I can now continue to suck and get killed as frequently as I had been in CS-1.6 but now with superior graphics!

LiNuX
06-09-2009, 06:58 PM
which CS are you downloading? CS 1.6? or CSS?

ambergris
06-09-2009, 07:43 PM
CS 1.6 I believe.

younging94
06-09-2009, 09:03 PM
You never played a what on what now?
How long have you had a computer?
Anddd, if you wanna have fun, check out surf servers and learn how to do it, youtube is really great for that.

LordLameeks
06-09-2009, 09:09 PM
wow i stopped playin cs along time ago i cant believe people still play didnt it come out like 9 years ago... its a fun game tho

LiNuX
06-09-2009, 09:16 PM
wow i stopped playin cs along time ago i cant believe people still play didnt it come out like 9 years ago... its a fun game tho

yea, came out in 2001 i believe, I don't remember correctly

the beta came out back in 1999 but it wasn't as good as 1.6 when it finally came out - very old game and it still has millions of players worldwide - although CSS is taken over the numbers a while ago already.

the next CS game is supposed to be CSO which is CS: Online - or something like that. I might get it depending on how they make it look and how the game play feels.

Great game indeed.

ambergris
06-09-2009, 09:20 PM
You heard me! 7 years. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, people aren't playing CS from what I can tell. I ran around for a long time not seeing a soul and was threatened to get thrown off the server if I killed one more hostage.

Not a good night. LOL

elgms
06-11-2009, 08:28 AM
CS 1.6 I believe.

If that is correct and you bought CS 1.6, you might not be too impressed with the graphics. 1.6 uses a version of the Quake 1 engine, which is over 10 years old and the graphics will seem dated.

Counter-strike:source on the other hand uses the newer source engine, which sports improved graphics and physics. There has been talk that Valve is going to update CS:S to the orange box engine, which will improve the graphics even more and add dual core support for the game.

Right now, CS 1.6 and CS:S only uses one core of a multi-core processor. So even if you have a quad core processor, the game can only use 1 core. But the newer games built on the orange box platform are supposed to be able to use more then one core of a multi-core processor.

ambergris
06-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks, you are right. I'm not impressed with CS 1.6 but the price was right.

I'm using a Radeon X1050 video card in a Dell 2.8 Pentium 4 with HT and 1000mb RAM so I'm not sure how many high end games I'll be able to play anyway.

I'm more of a console kinda guy.

LiNuX
06-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks, you are right. I'm not impressed with CS 1.6 but the price was right.

I'm using a Radeon X1050 video card in a Dell 2.8 Pentium 4 with HT and 1000mb RAM so I'm not sure how many high end games I'll be able to play anyway.

I'm more of a console kinda guy.

old pc...and I'm not a fan of dell anyway

i used to be a console gamer back in the day, then slowly moved onto PC gaming. I used to be a console guy when I first got CS many many years ago, I don't know when I transitioned fully to pc though.

and why aren't you impressed with the game? well nothing to be impressed about these days because game play and graphics are years old but I still find it fun once in a while to play with old friends.

ambergris
06-11-2009, 03:28 PM
old pc...and I'm not a fan of dell anyway

i used to be a console gamer back in the day, then slowly moved onto PC gaming. I used to be a console guy when I first got CS many many years ago, I don't know when I transitioned fully to pc though.

and why aren't you impressed with the game? well nothing to be impressed about these days because game play and graphics are years old but I still find it fun once in a while to play with old friends.

Don't be dissin' my Dell Dude!
Basically, the graphics and the fact that no one else seemed to be there at the time. I started shooting hostages until the server threatened to can me so I left with my tail between my legs. I just need to figure out the missions and get used to the keyboard controls. I'm not finished yet. ;-)

LiNuX
06-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Don't be dissin' my Dell Dude!
Basically, the graphics and the fact that no one else seemed to be there at the time. I started shooting hostages until the server threatened to can me so I left with my tail between my legs. I just need to figure out the missions and get used to the keyboard controls. I'm not finished yet. ;-)

ah, you just have to find the right servers - some servers always have people in there while other servers are dead most of the time lol (gf servers mostly since we don't have a full cs fan base like general CS forums)

if you like quick rounds then you should play FY_maps - they are fun

my all time favorite is fy_iceworld, you can also try fy_snow, fy_dinoiceworld, fy_stoneworld

just search those, they are fun - no real mission, fy stands for Fun Yard or Fight Yard - you just try to kill everybody on the other team - usually guns at are your feet to pick up and you can buy things in the middle of the map (if you survive)

they also have surf maps, awp maps, gungames, etc. tons of stuff - cs maps (hostage maps) aren't the only ones out there :)

ambergris
06-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the input & suggestions LiNuX. :D

ambergris
06-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Got to try out fy on CounterStrike yesterday for the first time.
First time online play with others as well. Got killed a lot but had fun.
Wound up scoring in the last third pretty consistently though.
I saw the weapons on the ground put was unable to pick them up so I used the handguns mostly.

LiNuX
06-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Got to try out fy on CounterStrike yesterday for the first time.
First time online play with others as well. Got killed a lot but had fun.
Wound up scoring in the last third pretty consistently though.
I saw the weapons on the ground put was unable to pick them up so I used the handguns mostly.

once you get used to it you'll be able to get the guns before anyone else and end up getting one of the top scores - dying isn't so bad if you're having fun though :D

jakncoke
06-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Anddd, if you wanna have fun, check out surf servers and learn how to do it, youtube is really great for that.

I've owned a computer since 2004 and have never had the urge to game online on PC

ambergris
06-16-2009, 05:00 PM
I never installed CS Condition Zero even though it came with CS 1.6.

Now that I have CS Source downloaded would it be redundant to install Condition Zero?

LiNuX
06-16-2009, 06:43 PM
I never installed CS Condition Zero even though it came with CS 1.6.

Now that I have CS Source downloaded would it be redundant to install Condition Zero?

CZ isn't that much different from 1.6 - the major difference is that less players play the game so it's pointless - I tried it for a few minutes back in the day - then went back to cs 1.6.

ambergris
06-17-2009, 12:59 AM
Played CS Source online for a few hours tonight. A bit frenetic but a lot of fun.