PDA

View Full Version : Volcano Eruption on Jupiters Moon

jasonbay
05-03-2007, 08:13 PM
New images of Jupiter released by NASA show a volcanic eruption on one of the planet's moons and give scientists never-before-seen perspectives of the planet. The pictures, taken by the New Horizons spacecraft, show the large, volcanically active moon called "lo" while an eruption is taking place, London's Daily Mail reported. The probe's seven cameras show an umbrella-shaped plume rising 200 miles into space from the volcano Tvashtar. "It's really exciting that it performed for us," John Spencer of the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colo., told the Mail. "Galileo was orbiting for six years and we never saw plumes like that," he said, referring to an earlier mission. The probe also revealed a mystery volcano, so young its lava has just reached Io's surface, but has yet to emit enough gas to produce a plume. "We're seeing the birth of a new volcano here," Spencer said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,269773,00.html

Pretty crazy stuff. Could this mean there is some kind organism that can survive the cold tempurtures on it ?

Drake14
05-03-2007, 08:13 PM
I hope so! That would be awesome if we found life on other planets ;D

LiNuX
05-03-2007, 09:23 PM
yea i read about this yesterday - the red circle is becoming redder and redder - the largest storm in the solar system - pretty cool though - i doubt life could exist in a climate like that

FattaT
05-03-2007, 11:01 PM
wow thats pretty cool,
Had not heard about this.

jasonbay
05-04-2007, 11:34 AM
yea i read about this yesterday - the red circle is becoming redder and redder - the largest storm in the solar system - pretty cool though - i doubt life could exist in a climate like that

You never know though, sure it wouldnt look like anything on Earth but if creatures and can live on volcano vents on the ocean floor that super-heat the water to 500 degrees or whatever I believe any creature can possibly adapt , now im not talking about species that is big there , just talking a microorganism that feeds off whatever is there which still would be life.

LiNuX
05-04-2007, 01:48 PM
well thats true - but jupiter is the most inhabitable planet in the solar system because of its gases but like u said, u never know, lets see what pops out of there later.

jasonbay
05-04-2007, 02:01 PM
I think some of you misunderstood the info , the eruption didnt place on Jupiter itself but one of its moons.

LiNuX
05-04-2007, 09:31 PM
yea i know it took place on the moon - it looked like a bump on the moon's surface - i saw pics - was just saying that the gasses in jupiter has to affect the moons in some way