PDA

View Full Version : Review Shadow complex-Rescue claire! I think Jason might catch up to Mario at this rate.

Shixx
09-15-2009, 06:28 PM
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/525/e32009shadowcomplexfirs.jpg
Intro-
Shadow Complex, developed by Chair and Epic Games, was released on the Xbox Live marketplace for 1200 MP’s. I played the Demo, and the way they ended the Demo was genius. You beat the first boss and it Pops Up "buy the Game" or Quit. If you buy the game you don't even have to leave the game you just start playing as if you always owned it. Tricky bastards.
Did I regret getting tricked? Read below to find out.

YouTube - Shadow Complex | Gameplay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8tRQdSwLxU)

Story-
Shadow complex is a game that is supposed to serve as a medium between Orson Scott Card’s novel Empire and the sequel Hidden Empire. I have read the books and they're good. If you haven't read the Books, They did a good job presenting the game with not a lot of facts but enough to where you can understand who antagonists are.

The story starts you off as some random guy, who has gotten a prototype suit. All you know is that the Vice President of the United States of America is being attacked and there is a gun fight between the Secret Service and the Progressive Restoration, the bad guys. Using the prototype suit you stole from the PR you kill all the evil doers. However after the firefight an explosion occurs killing the Vice President and a voice comes over your suit and takes back control where you are knocked out, or you might have died, one of the two.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2849/shadowcomplex3.jpg

Meanwhile in a different area Jason and his girlfriend Claire, who after some dialogue implies that this is their first date, are hiking around the forest where they stumble upon a cave. Claire seeming adventurous decides to explore the cavern and goes on ahead of you. Jason heads down but when he hits the bottom all he can find is her backpack. After progressing and finding a fully automatic door in the cave, you hear Claire being dragged away and into the door above you. It is then that Jason heads through after her and stumbles upon a massive a military complex. Your objective is simple form here, rescue Claire.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9340/shadowcomplexscreen2464.jpg

The plot of the story is pretty good, with a secret organization that somehow has a surprising amount of weaponry to battle the United States.
No complaints, although the Dialogue had it's corny moments.

Game play-
Shadow Complex mirrors the early Metroid games for the Nintendo and Super Nintendo Entertainment Systems. That is definitely not a bad thing as you get slight nostalgia from the game as it reminds you when Side scrolling games were all the rage. It is not the side scrolling aspect that makes it reminiscent to Metroid but the other aspects.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8529/shadowcomplexscreen05ox.jpg

Over the course of your journey through the complex you will come across doors that you cannot open unless you have the right equipment. Your equipment to help you with these barriers and help kill your enemies is many from a type of foam that freezes your enemies to missiles and much more.

So how does one go about carrying Foam, grenades, and such? Well the game, once again being like metroid, provides you with a super suit, the one from the beginning. The pieces to the suit are missing so you acquire the pieces separately, each time giving you something new to play with, my personal favorite being the friction dampener allowing you to go at super fast speeds to break down walls.

The game places a huge aspect on exploration. Players will find themselves coming back to previously explored areas not just to get to the next objective but to explore and open areas that were previously unreachable. While the game does not force you to explore, exploring sure does help, and who wouldn’t want a ammo capacity for their missiles increased or more health? Normally I don't go crazy for finding items, but with this game I just felt a strange urge to constantly go back to the very beginning and just search every nook and cranny for some sort of obstacle just so I can get an Armor upgrade. It did a really good job at rewarding the player for going off the beaten path.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6905/shadowcomplexmap540x305.png

So what happens when you are exploring and you forget where you need to go? This will not happen as the game shows the area where you need to go along with a blue line that shows you how to get there. The map also shows doors that can be opened with current equipment by giving it a certain color.

Although it is like a Metroid game, it does innovate in some areas given the current generation we are in. Take the flashlight for example. In games like Metroid you had to figure out what walls could be broken or lay down mines aimlessly, hoping something opens up. With the flashlight, not only does it luminate dark areas but highlights obstacles with a certain color that shows what you need to break it. For instance, some rocks shine red indicating you need missiles to break it or vents shine orange showing you just simply need to fire upon it.

Along with the flashlight the game adds a certain 3D twist to the game. While Jason can only move side to side enemies will be able to move not only side to side, but also come towards you or move farther. They will also be able to shoot at you from areas that aren’t exactly straight in front of you. But don’t worry you are not defenseless, the game allows you to shoot not just forward but into the background as well, and it makes it easier to aim on the background enemies with a decent auto locking system.

Despite the auto lock system, the aiming can still be difficult at times. Since it utilizes the right thumb stick as the aiming button, getting that headshot can sometimes be more trouble than its worth. Several times have I found myself taking so long to get my sight in the right area of the head that they enemies notice me causing me to not only lost my shot but some health.

Along with enemies moving into the background, the game shows more by switching it up when you get into a turret. When side scrolling the camera will immediately change to a third person view when you activate a turret. With both the enemies able to move from or into the background and a good turret affect, the game certainly separates itself from most 3D side scrollers.

Shadow Complex also adds a sort of stealth to it. When I say stealth I don’t mean like Metal Gear Solid, but it allows you to skip certain battles if you need to. Say there are a bunch of enemies, and my health is at 10, if there is ladders above me I can simply jump up to it and silently get by without having to fire a bullet. However don’t expect these to be in every room of the complex.

Shadow Complex also has a leveling system. Defeating enemies and leveling up are some ways Jason can gain experience. Every level awards Jason with something new such as an armor upgrade or boosting basic functions such as running faster. The level cap is 50, and you may not necessarily gain 50 levels through one play through. Do not fret, when you start a new game you will get to keep your current level and the attributes that have come with it, but you will lose the weapons and equipment you have found.

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/5291/92753816.jpg

Besides the campaign, players will also get Proving Grounds. Proving Grounds is set up like a sort of simulator with colorless walls and enemies and appears to be used to test the prototype suit. In proving Grounds the player can not use the equipment they have gained, they must use the equipment and abilities the simulator has provided them with in order to complete the challenge. The challenges on Proving Grounds are a set of obstacles that the player can do to get high scores. Don’t expect to find anything too difficult as the Proving Grounds are mainly meant for speed runs and to test how well the players can use the abilities that are provided.

Besides Proving Grounds the game also sets up a very subtle sort of competition. These are displays as the overall campaign score. Besides the campaign score, there also is the high scores for most people punched or most shots to the head. A better example of this is to tell you of my experience. While playing, I decided to use a melee move to knock the guy out, after I did, a small box appeared on the bottom left corner of my TV showing the scores. I had one melee kill under my belt while the person ahead of me, had 80 kills. Once you surpass the person ahead of you, the game will show you the next person ahead of you who has the most amount of melee kills, or headshot kills, or whatever you are aiming for.

Controls-
The controls for the game are very simple being an Xbox Live Arcade game. As mentioned above, the right stick aims, and the left stick move the character. You can select different equipment with the D-pad. And you shoot your rockets or grenades with the Right bumper. It is your average control scheme, nothing new.

Graphics and Sound-
Gore splattered walls and intense amounts of blood are what we have come to expect form Epic, but this time around they did things differently. Surprisingly, there is no blood. Whenever you shoot a guy they appear hurt and clutch their chest but no blood is spilled, so its kid friendly(Hooray?).

The graphics for this game look very much like Undertow and the bionic commando game for XBLA. The graphics are pretty crisp and the environments are well rendered, you get the sense that they even made the areas look good from behind, even though you can’t see it, this shows when you enter the turret, but I already talked about that.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/6406/shadowcomplex.jpg

Players will also notice that whenever you shoot a wall, part of the wall will pop out while you’re shooting. Or whenever you shoot at the water, it actually splashes. This surprised me for XBLA game. But for some reason, whenever you threw a grenade into the water, there was only a small plash that was only slightly bigger than a splash caused by a bullet, and the sound for the grenade splash wasn’t all that realistic.

The sound is alright. I got the feeling that the guns sounded the same, except just faster than the last. As I just mentioned the grenade sound wasn’t all that great when it explodes in the water, nor was the splash sounds. However, when under water and you fire your gun, the sound does sound somewhat realistic as there is no loud BLAM sound but more like a silent suppressed gun. So I can’t say the sound was a complete train wreck as they did get some parts right and others not so well.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2264/96046435.jpg

The environments in this game do have a tendency to mimic the last room. In total I think there is about 5 sectors in the complex. Don’t get me wrong they look really well done, especially the forest area. But in the complex even though there are 5 sectors the rooms look the same as the last sector and not a whole lot of diversity was added to rooms for the most part. Some rooms look different however, so it’s not all the rooms looking the same.

As far as music goes there is none except for the end credits and the Menu. Each song sounds kind of like Bioshock music and then turns into some war tune. It’s alright, but the game could have had a low scale tune for the game instead of the silence.

Final Thoughts-
Really fun
Full of nostalgia for NES and SNES owners
Simple control scheme
Very cheap for what you get.
Short Game.

My Score-You can trick me anytime! Totally worth it.
9/10

iDhawkz
09-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Holy****! nice review dude!

Street_Soldier69
09-26-2009, 05:42 PM
This looks pretty cool. I mite try it.

Shixx
09-27-2009, 03:31 PM
This looks pretty cool. I mite try it.

You wont, its on the 360.

Street_Soldier69
09-27-2009, 05:29 PM
You wont, its on the 360.

I have a xbox, so i can still play the 360 games.

It looks like a better version of Crash Commando from the PS store.