PDA

View Full Version : Red Ring Of Death

Mantazmad
01-01-2010, 12:09 PM
I have just purchased a xbox360, and now all I hear about is that I shouldn't of got one because of the RROD...

Is it really that big a deal?

How often does it happen?

Can you fix it?

All help will be appreciated.:-)

Iceskater101
01-01-2010, 01:05 PM
well you got a warranty on it right?
because if you didn't..
anyways if you did your covered for at least two years
sometimes people get it at least 5 times me, i got it only once
if you got a warranty, you can ship it to microsoft and they either fix it or give you a new one

Mantazmad
01-01-2010, 01:35 PM
No I didn't get a warranty! OOPS!!!
does it happen that regularly?
shoud I see if I can get one..?

Frank-the-Rabbit
01-01-2010, 03:06 PM
I think the newer versions of the 360 get this less. I wouldn't say its something to worry much about. Put it this way I have one of the first generation 360's and have never once gotten it. My roommate has another first generation and his gets it all the time but is still somewhat useable. He just got one of the new 360 Elite's a few months ago and that one has no problems. I think it's just all how lucky or unlucky you are.

I have had issues with my power cord/supply on my 360 though and it makes so much noise sometimes that I shut it off.

Cleril
01-01-2010, 08:24 PM
I recently got my second RROD. The first console died and the sent me a refurbished one. It died after...a year I think.

You could try fixing it yourself for free. There are videos on youtube on solutions but for the most part just keep the system cool and you won't have a problem.

Trunks
01-02-2010, 04:08 PM

When you buy a 360, you automatically get a 3 year warranty for prod only. So your xbox is covered if you get prod, but the newer xbox 360s' don't get prod as often. So you don't have too much to worry about.

DancyDarkGamer
01-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Microsoft gives you a 3 year warranty if it goes over 3 years and gets RROD you can fix it by searching it on Google. Its not really a problem anymore because Microsoft made an update when your 360 gets almost too overheated it shuts off automatically so if that happens to you don't turn it back on for a while cause your going to overheat it more.

Frank-the-Rabbit
01-10-2010, 10:59 PM
I just had my 360 die with a RROD. I am past the 3 years too so no free fix. TBH I am not that upset since we have 2 other 360's in the house that I can use my hard drive on but just goes to show you that it can and does seem to happen to most 360's.

Subb
01-11-2010, 07:57 AM
i believe after 2008 they fixed the over heating issue. i bought my second 360 play it non stop and have no issue my first one i took apart and changed the screws on the heat sink and all that n worked great

Soildblue
02-23-2010, 07:17 PM
I purchased my 360 in 2006. 3 times I have had RROD. Once Microsoft repaired it plus 1 month live gold. Twice it was replaced with a new XBOX 360. Played 1000's of hours. Would not mod or try to upgrade the system, they may find out and void warranty.
Oh yeah Microsoft paid everytime for shippiing and tracking of the whole process. Last turn around time was less than 5 business days from Michigan to Texas and back. First turn around was about 3-4 weeks.

PLAINLAZY007
03-11-2010, 12:47 PM
the RROD only happens to me every 3 years. luckily my warranty had 10 days left lol :- ) (to be honest, there is nothing to worry about!)

BobTD
03-11-2010, 03:12 PM

All Xbox 360's have extended, automatic warranties for the "red ring of death" or "general hardware failure" that it represents. The warranties are for three years, and generally when you ship them for repair you get a free month of xbox live.

You also have to understand that Microsoft is loosing a lot of money due to this. Their intention is not to make you buy new systems, because a 360 costs more to make then they sell for.

I would not worry about buying a 360 since newer versions are built better and they all now have automatic warranties. This was only a really big problem when the system launched.

Ik0n
03-11-2010, 03:42 PM
I have just purchased a xbox360, and now all I hear about is that I shouldn't of got one because of the RROD...

Is it really that big a deal?

How often does it happen?

Can you fix it?

All help will be appreciated.:-)

It's not that big of a deal at all. If you get the RROD, you have a 3 year warranty from Xbox. They'll fix it for free. Also, the newer Xbox 360's have a much lower failure rate.