PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Kombat to be rebooted

thedeparted
01-25-2010, 10:03 PM
It was last summer that Warner Bros. picked up the rights to the Mortal Kombat franchise, and now the fiends at Bloody Disgusting say they’re going to do something with them. They say Oren Uziel is in talks to write a new script which would redo the Mortal Kombat universe.

When the first movie was released in 1995, the Mortal Kombat universe was at the peak of its powers. The game on which it was based was the most played thing in arcades across the country and people hadn’t quite caught on to the fact that its director Paul W.S. Anderson really sucks. But even under those circumstances, Mortal Kombat was enjoyed and remembered more for it’s top notch techno soundtrack than for anything that actually happened the film. In theory though, franchise is about fighters competing in a tournament whose outcome will determine the fate of the planet. It’s Street Fighter’s more gory, violent cousin and was only ever played in the hopes that you might see someone pull out someone else’s spine, not because of a compelling story.

Now it’s fifteen years later, arcades don’t exist, Mortal Kombat is no longer a popular videogame, and people have stopped listening to techno. What’s the point in making this? I mean I’d enjoy it, but I’m an old geezer. Why is Warner Bros. making it, unless they plan to half-ass it with a borderline budget and drop it out on direct to DVD where it’ll make just enough money from a handful of aging 90s arcade freaks like me, who still listen to Prodigy? Sounds like another Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li in the making.

Yeah doesn't make a lot of sense for a big studio to pick this up. The market for a movie like this is very limited. They must intend on giving a POS and give it no effort unless they are insane and hope throwing a lot of money at this project will give them some return on their investment